Options

Bring Back....Classic Doctor Who

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There's a thread over in the TV forum section about last nights Bring Back...Dallas programme on channel 4. Hosted by Justin Lee Collins it followed the same format as his previous Bring Back shows. These reunited some cast members of Grange Hill and The A Team, both staple progs of my youth(I'm 30).
Any way it got me thinking, as a new and classic DW fan, which actors would you like JLC to track down, maybe for a future program. I know he's making a Bring Back....Star Wars show this summer and that'll be very ambitious. Closer to home though, I'd love to see a show where they reunited the largest Tardis crew in DW history of Davisons Doctor, Nyssa,Tegan,Adric and Turlough. Out of interest, if such a programme were made, whcih former DW characters would you like to see reunited.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Roberts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addy2Hotty wrote: »
    Eric Roberts.
    Being morphed into somebody like hmmmmmmm.......let me see, John Simm maybe:)
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I would love to see the Old Dr Who episodes given a run out, every Friday night on BBC 2. It would be interesting reading weekly threads on the repeated shows. You would think with the poularity of the re boots the BBC would have done so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see the Old Dr Who episodes given a run out, every Friday night on BBC 2. It would be interesting reading weekly threads on the repeated shows. You would think with the poularity of the re boots the BBC would have done so.
    I quite agree, BBC4 have shown Spearhead From Space, The Green Death and Ark In Space in the last year or two, as part of themed seasons. In an ideal world where money was no object I'd like to see the beeb start from An Unearthly Child and fill im missing episodes with animation. Highly unlikely to happen because of the time and costs though:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they already tried this before and didn't go so well,

the only chance is if BBC4 think about regularly repeating Classic Doctor Who
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Sooteries wrote: »
    they already tried this before and didn't go so well,

the only chance is if BBC4 think about regularly repeating Classic Doctor Who

Can't see that happening - it'd hit DVD sales.
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a thread over in the TV forum section about last nights Bring Back...Dallas programme on channel 4. Hosted by Justin Lee Collins it followed the same format as his previous Bring Back shows. These reunited some cast members of Grange Hill and The A Team, both staple progs of my youth(I'm 30).
    Any way it got me thinking, as a new and classic DW fan, which actors would you like JLC to track down, maybe for a future program. I know he's making a Bring Back....Star Wars show this summer and that'll be very ambitious. Closer to home though, I'd love to see a show where they reunited the largest Tardis crew in DW history of Davisons Doctor, Nyssa,Tegan,Adric and Turlough. Out of interest, if such a programme were made, whcih former DW characters would you like to see reunited.
    Interesting idea but I don't think it would ever work as due to the ever-changing cast in Doctor Who there isn't really one specific line-up of actors that's prominent in the public memory, in the way that there is with shows like Dallas and the A-Team. Maybe Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen, but then that's just two people and not really much of a basis for a programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote: »
    Can't see that happening - it'd hit DVD sales.

could do ones that aren't on DVD then :cool:
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »
    Maybe Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen, but then that's just two people and not really much of a basis for a programme.

At a push, they could add Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Roy Skelton, John Leeson and perhaps a few of the Dalek operators and guys in rubber suits. They may not have all appeared together at the same time, but it would be really easy to find clips featuring various combinations of these performers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd reunite Peri and her bikini :D
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kramer wrote: »
    I'd reunite Peri and her bikini :D
    Wouldn't you rather separate Peri from her bikini? :D
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Elisabeth Sladen the only companion Tom Baker didn't fall out with?

Lalla Ward (Romana), whom he was married to for 16 months, hasn't spoken to him for over 20 years. She suggested she might be willing to do an audio commentary with him a while back, but the restoration team's steve roberts has said 2entertain wouldn't book it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My second favourite anecdote from behind the scenes of Who is Lalla Ward being asked in an interview what the most horrible monster on Doctor Who and firing back "Tom Baker".

My favourite anecdote is when Tom Baker tells the above story, flashes a grin, nods sadly and says "Very true, too."

AIUI Ward has said she has no problem meeting up with Baker for some convention/event but he always avoids her. The general tone of interviews with him on the subject of Ward seem to suggest that it's not that he dislikes her but that he feels rather bad about how he treated her and can't face her.
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well UK Gold ran classic Dr Who for something like 15 years on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Would it hit DVD sales - I very much doubt it, the majority of DVD sales are to hard core fans who would probably buy them anyway. (Some buy every release and some buy their favourites.) This is not because of the stories but because of the wonderful extra's that are provided by the Restoration Team. I was watching Survival over the weekend and the documentary on what would have happened had Season 27 been commisioned was fascinating (The Cartmel Masterplan!!).

I think the main problem is most of the older B&W episodes are now pretty much below broadcastable quality. I taped most of them during the last run on UK Gold and I really cannot watch them now.

As for a bring back - unlike most of the shows in the C4 series, the majority of the Dr Who cast do get together on a regular basis whether it is to record commentaries for the DVD's or for the Big Finnish audio releases. There are also many interviews on the DVD's that are worth watching. For example a really good insight in Tom Baker's departure on Logopolis during which he talks about Lalla Ward.

In reallity I would love BBC 4 to do a theme night or weekend (rather like the one they are doing with Kid's TV at the moment) and feature some of these interviews. They deserve a wider audience and may encourage sales of the DVD's. (Of course this would then help provide budget with such things as colouring some of the B&W only episodes and animating some of the missing episodes as they did with The Invasion)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who reunited with the Celestial Toymaker - but I think they may both be dead now :(
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Closer to home though, I'd love to see a show where they reunited the largest Tardis crew in DW history of Davisons Doctor, Nyssa,Tegan,Adric and Turlough. Out of interest, if such a programme were made, whcih former DW characters would you like to see reunited.

They're regularly reunited to do the commentaries for Davison era DVDs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fightming wrote: »
    I'd love to see Patrick Troughton's Doctor Who reunited with the Celestial Toymaker - but I think they may both be dead now :(

Troughton is dead, but Michael Gough (the Toymaker) is still happily with us aged 93 according to imdb!

But the second doctor never had a story with the toymaker :confused:
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Troughton is dead, but Michael Gough (the Toymaker) is still happily with us aged 93 according to imdb!

They might be confusing him with The Master of The Land of Fiction who Troughton did meet
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    They might be confusing him with The Master of The Land of Fiction who Troughton did meet

Do you mean Michael Grade?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure? I was very very young at the time - was it the first Doctor then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fightming wrote: »
    Are you sure? I was very very young at the time - was it the first Doctor then?

Yep, first doctor. Episode 4 of the story, the only one of the four that still exists, is on the lost in time DVD set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, first doctor. Episode 4 of the story, the only one of the four that still exists, is on the lost in time DVD set.

Thanks - I was younger than I remember :D Fabulous story - one of my all-time favourites.