Options

Microsoft Works document to Word

WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having problems sending a word document by email.

I loaded by disc, Microsoft Works 8.5, from my previous computer to my current one and can use it fine. However, when including an attachment with a Works word document, it cannot be opened or read by the recipient. I apparently need to convert this and have tried the Works converter on Microsoft site and used that method, but still it cannot be read.

I was advised to try Rich Text format and whilst it can be opened, the text is all over the place.

Is there anything easier or simple that can be used or done?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the recipient need to be able to edit the document or just read it?

If it just needs to be read then you could try converting it to a PDF. A common way to do this is to install a PDF "printer", for example PDF Creator http://www.pdfforge.org/.

This installs a "printer" that you can send the document to and it converts it to PDF format.

If the recipient needs to edit the file then you need to find out what version of Word they are using. If you convert to a later format of Word than they are using it is quite possible they won't be able to open it.

Another option would be to install something like the free LibreOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/ and use that to do the conversion. You may need to go via Rich Text format to get the document from Works into LibreOffice but you should be able to tidy up the layout then save as a Word DOC format.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Does the recipient need to be able to edit the document or just read it?

If it just needs to be read then you could try converting it to a PDF. A common way to do this is to install a PDF "printer", for example PDF Creator http://www.pdfforge.org/.

This installs a "printer" that you can send the document to and it converts it to PDF format.

If the recipient needs to edit the file then you need to find out what version of Word they are using. If you convert to a later format of Word than they are using it is quite possible they won't be able to open it.

Another option would be to install something like the free LibreOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/ and use that to do the conversion. You may need to go via Rich Text format to get the document from Works into LibreOffice but you should be able to tidy up the layout then save as a Word DOC format.

Thanks for your advice.

No the recipient shouldn't want or need to edit. Will look at your suggestions and interestingly upon speaking to Microsoft there is a fee to offer help which is probably equivalent to the yearly cost of Office!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also try installing libreoffice on your home pc instead of works. It's free, as is a lot of support - and seems to have less compatibilty issues
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm nor sure if I've understood the problem but for years I didn't send Word document attachments because the people at the other end said they couldn't read them

Someone told me to save the document in a folder in My Documents as a .doc document (Word 1997-2003)from the drop down menu.....

then you can attach it and send it by e-mail....
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Someone told me to save the document in a folder in My Documents as a .doc document (Word 1997-2003)from the drop down menu.....

OP is using Microsoft Works instead of Microsoft Office/Word. Works is a very cut-down office suite that used to be bundled free with some computers and uses formats completely incompatible with MS Office.

I believe LibreOffice does include import filters for the various Works formats, so no need to convert to RTF first (blog post describing someone doing exactly that). I've never had occasion to use them, but IIRC the screenshots from when the filters were being developed showed that they preserved formatting extremely well (perhaps even better than the MS Office filters).

If LibreOffice will take and display the files correctly there's a handy button on the toolbar that will spit out a PDF without having to install a fake PDF printer.