3 Home Signal Box

2»

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Gari P wrote: »
    I have a Three homesignal (the black NEC variety)

Although it is better than the 0-1 bars of unreliable 2100 signal from the nearest 3 mast, it does have its own issues, in my experience.

There is a slight, but noticeable delay on voice calls and I often find I end up talking over the other person and vice versa. I suspect this is because of it using consumer grade ADSL as backhaul to Three's core network as opposed to low latency fibre links / leased lines.

The other thing is that data through the homesignal box is very ropey. Often it doesn't work and when it does you get timeouts. Only when I leave the homesignal coverage and onto real coverage I start to get e-mail push notifications from Outlook and so on.

Before someone asks why would I want to use data through it, well the answer is ... believe it or not, not everyone has wi-fi. My network and router is wired.

You may find this useful.
    I had the delay problem but I also had calls breaking up if my broadband was being used heavily as well. This is because I only have a 1.8 Meg connection.
    On some advice on this forum I changed my router for a Zyxel model that has QOS (quality of service) settings.
    I set up a couple of QOS queues, one with high priority for the EE Signal Box and one with low priority for everything else.
    The result is no broken calls (even if I max out the download and upload simultaneously) AND the delay has disappeared!
    Result!
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    As far as I can remember a voice call over 3G only uses about 64Kbps so your 4Mbps broadband won't even notice!

Actually it's closer to 16Kbps (including overheads). The actual codec uses about ~12Kbps even in HD mode.