Rik Mayall RIP

Comments

• impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An epileptic fit seems likely. It's heartbreaking news, but on the bright side - he cheated death once - and managed to claw back another 16 odd years. Such a loss though. His poor family.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt more sorrow at this than any other "celebrity" death I can think of. It's almost as if he defined the best part of my life.

A bigger downside is that the BBC are probably at this moment putting together one of their crappy tributes, comprising all-too-brief clips, irritatingly interspersed by talentless rent-a-gobs who never met him, such as Russells Kane and Howard, saying how he was such a massive influence on their careers.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of shock never saw coming Rip Alan Bastard:o
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Rick, one of the truly great comics of his generation. Totally agree with the comment about the possibility of a cringe worthy BBC retrospective no doubt being put together as we speak, but at least he'll get one and it will be a chance to honour some of his greatest moments.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I felt more sorrow at this than any other "celebrity" death I can think of. It's almost as if he defined the best part of my life.

A bigger downside is that the BBC are probably at this moment putting together one of their crappy tributes, comprising all-too-brief clips, irritatingly interspersed by talentless rent-a-gobs who never met him, such as Russells Kane and Howard, saying how he was such a massive influence on their careers.

I know what you mean. This is the BBC not a place of entertainment.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Rik's classic young ones line....

"This house will become a shrine... And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rik is dead! The People's Poet is dead! And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rik be dead when we still have his poems?" Then another kid will say... "
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'd love the BBC to release the scripts from the 4th series of Bottom that were written but never recorded in the 90s. Apparently they've sat in a drawer at Rik or Ade's for nearly 20 years. I can't think why BBC declined to make a fourth series, so a chance to look at what might have been would be a lovely tribute to Rik. He had so much work over the years that wasn't filmed but was written- I'd love a kind of "Unseen Rik" compendium to see some more of his creative endeavours.
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will add to everything said.

Sad day :-( x
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    R.I.P Rik

You were a unique talent and will be hugely missed.:(

Haven't read through all the thread so this might have already been posted...won't hurt that it's posted again..

"This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead! And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"

I was trying to remember that full quote - thanks! Great stuff!:D
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Such sad news. Met him once, he was funny, charming & handsome. His autograph to me read 'To Lucy, I'll never forget this fateful afternoon' :cool: RIP Rik.

Love it!:D

RIP Rik!
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Oh this is such sad news today. Shocked like most people at the loss of a comedy genius. Loved Rik and he will be a legend with no one like him ever again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I shed a tear for a celebrity but I did today and feel so sad about Rik's passing. I am so grateful for the hours of entertainment he has given me over the years. He's a real hero of mine and will always be remembered with great fondness. I shall watch some Bottom this weekend and raise a glass :)
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He made me laugh so much. Such a shame.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless him and his family! I had a boyfriend that looked like him back in the day
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love the BBC to release the scripts from the 4th series of Bottom that were written but never recorded in the 90s. Apparently they've sat in a drawer at Rik or Ade's for nearly 20 years. I can't think why BBC declined to make a fourth series, so a chance to look at what might have been would be a lovely tribute to Rik. He had so much work over the years that wasn't filmed but was written- I'd love a kind of "Unseen Rik" compendium to see some more of his creative endeavours.

I read Rik was quoted as saying he wanted to do another series of Bottom but Ade couldn't be persuaded .They fell out over it .
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Rik made me laugh so much and ever since his first appearance on TV, I've loved him. Today he made me cry and I can't shake off the gloom cloud, it's like the light has gone out. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »
    :D The faces that he pulled are one of the reasons I found him so funny.

Same here. He was fantastic :)
    Forum Member
    Rik made me laugh so much and ever since his first appearance on TV, I've loved him. Today he made me cry and I can't shake off the gloom cloud, it's like the light has gone out. :cry:

Get yourself on youtube, watch some funny clips. He was a funny guy, he wanted people to laugh :)
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting how a lot of media in the US are reporting the story as 'Drop Dead Fred Star Dies'. I guess I'd underestimated how popular the movie was over there, and overestimated the popularity of The Young Ones, Bottom etc there.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel shock at this.
    RIP Rik. :(
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry::cry: Hands up who sat through Kenny Everetts Video show every week in 1980s Thursday just in case you missed the start of The Young Ones? So sad, what an amazing guy. Grew up with his humour, thoughts are with his family, sad loss. Ade's comment summed it all up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Get yourself on youtube, watch some funny clips. He was a funny guy, he wanted people to laugh :)

I've been doing that, plus my son and I started watching The Young Ones again in his honour. Any excuse, if I'm honest :)
    Forum Member
    I've been doing that, plus my son and I started watching The Young Ones again in his honour. Any excuse, if I'm honest :)

I bet you 1000's of people are doing the same thing. Whether it's Bottom, Jackanory, How to be a Little Sod, or something else. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Definitely! And my son has put in a request for his book, modestly titled: RIK MAYALL - Bigger than Hitler, Better Than Christ. :D
    Forum Member
    Definitely! And my son has put in a request for his book, modestly titled: RIK MAYALL - Bigger than Hitler, Better Than Christ. :D

Even the book cover is brilliant :D
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I shed a tear for a celebrity but I did today and feel so sad about Rik's passing. I am so grateful for the hours of entertainment he has given me over the years. He's a real hero of mine and will always be remembered with great fondness. I shall watch some Bottom this weekend and raise a glass :)

That's exactly how I felt when I heard,it made me cry silly I know but he was a huge part of my growing up in everything he and Ade Edmondson did and going to see him and Ade on Bottom Tours -just such a shock :(