Options

Places everyone needs to visit in the uk

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also recommend Derwent Dam, and the reservoir, and the surrounding reservoirs. In fact, most of Derbyshire is very pretty. :)
    You're right ... you can't beat going for a tramp * across Big Moor and Gardom's Edge and Curbar Edge and ..

* I'll leave the door open :D
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Windsor
    Edinburgh
    Gairloch & Pooleve NW Highlands
    Ambleside Lake District
    Actually there are hundreds of wonderful places to visit We are blessed in this country with the variety[/QUOTE]

I agree and we've visited a lot of places in the past year or so but one of my favourites is

Bath.

Beautiful, historic city with its honey-coloured architecture, the famous Roman Baths and the rolling countryside which surrounds it. It's now a World Heritage site.

I lived in Perranporth, Cornwall for a few months and agree with what has been posted

I'm reading this thread with interest for future ideas!
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also recommend Derwent Dam, and the reservoir, and the surrounding reservoirs. In fact, most of Derbyshire is very pretty. :)
    You're right ... you can't beat going for a tramp * across Big Moor and Gardom's Edge and Curbar Edge and ..

* I'll leave the door open :D

Interesting. I'm in Manchester and for a couple of years now I've wanted to get out and about more for days out, visiting more rural areas for a bit of a walk and exploration. I don't drive so wherever I go has to be somewhat accessible via public transport and I'm not against staying overnight somewhere if it makes it easier regarding getting there and back. Derbyshire obviously isn't very far away so that's given me something to look into. So far I've been around the Darwen area a couple of times, up to the Forest of Bowland (cheap Mega Bus tickets to nearby Lancaster :p) and have walked a few canal towpaths around Greater Manchester and Cheshire.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dudley

The town, the castle, the zoo and the Black Country museum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The pencil museum, Keswick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm in Manchester and for a couple of years now I've wanted to get out and about more for days out, visiting more rural areas for a bit of a walk and exploration. I don't drive so wherever I go has to be somewhat accessible via public transport and I'm not against staying overnight somewhere if it makes it easier regarding getting there and back.
    If you want to do the Edges and the Moors in NE Derbyshire, from Manchester you could do the train to Grindleford and walk down the Edges from there. Baslow is only about 10 miles down the south end of the Edges through stunning views, and there's The Wheatsheaf for a decent room and food (great beers too). The Devonshire Arms is a bit snotty and expensive.
    From there you can do all the tons of Iron Age/Bronze Age stuff* scattered about the moors right on the doorstep, and/or Chatsworth, then get the hourly bus back to Grindleford at your leisure.

The same station gives you striking distance for the Dark Peak too - Mam Tor and all that, and there's always Edale on the line (it'll take about 3 days to walk around and not for the faint hearted or bad weather, but you don't have to do it all).

*don't know if it means anything to you, but Julian Cope reckons it's his favourite part of the country and the best cluster of visible archaeology in a small area.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    York and Padstow.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am tempted to say the north west highlands of Scotland and the outer Hebrides, but do not go. They are horrible places, no scenery or nothing just sheep and rain. Best that no one goes there. I will continue to go however and report back if there has been any change
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    I am tempted to say the north west highlands of Scotland and the outer Hebrides, but do not go. They are horrible places, no scenery or nothing just sheep and rain. Best that no one goes there. I will continue to go however and report back if there has been any change

Haha, I agree.

Avoid Clachtoll beach, it's awful!
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Can I recommend a visit to Stevenage town centre.
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Another one for Yorkshire.

Ingleton is a lovely place to visit. Lots of great walks in lovely countryside.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Slough
    Luton
    Bradford
    Hatfield
    Harlow

:D

And then go to Croydon and see how much worse they could be.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slough
    Luton
    Bradford
    Hatfield
    Harlow

Harlow!

Sculpture town.

How very dare you. ;-)
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Slough
    Luton
    Bradford
    Hatfield
    Harlow

possibly the worst signposted town in the whole world it all looks the same and trying to find anywhere is impossible >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bath

York

Avebury

Swaledale

Robin Hood's Bay

Gower Peninsula

Southwold

Brighton

I don't actually like Brighton, but it is a remarkable place - fine Regency architecture, great shops, some lovely restaurants, loads of crusty eco-warrior types, cool hipsters, arty-farties all mixed in with chavs and homeless people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I don't actually like Brighton,
    *faints with shock*
    but it is a remarkable place - fine Regency architecture, great shops, some lovely restaurants, loads of crusty eco-warrior types, cool hipsters, arty-farties all mixed in with chavs and homeless people.
    *revives*
    Exactly that.
    Probably the least 'English' city in the country, and possibly the most at the same time. When God ends the universe, he'll switch off Brighton (and Hove actually) last, and they'll still be partying :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *faints with shock*
    *revives*
    Exactly that.
    Probably the least 'English' city in the country, and possibly the most at the same time. When God ends the universe, he'll switch off Brighton (and Hove actually) last, and they'll still be partying :)

I find it crowded, noisy and dirty, I'm afraid, but then I don't really like big towns (it's possible that growing up in Croydon has put me off them).

I live in Lewes, and even that seems a bit hectic to me these days.

No-one needs to come to Lewes though, there's nothing to see or do, not even on November 5th.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Bath, Brighton, St. Andrews, Settle - whole three peak area particularly Ribblehead Viaduct
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I have missed it, I haven't seen anyone mention London, a fantastic city that really needs to be explored.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haystacks mountain in the lake district, start off at the slate mine on Honnister pass.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Even when I read that, I still do the accent in my head.

Dud lie

I did too. :D:D To be fair though it isn't such a daft suggestion. The Black Country Museum is fascinating.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The town, the castle, the zoo and the Black Country museum.

And Wrens Nest (The Wrenner) if you are into geology. Possibly the nation's most unlikely tourist destination tucked into what used to be a rather down at heel council estate.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Unless I have missed it, I haven't seen anyone mention London, a fantastic city that really needs to be explored.

No you haven't or Devon.
    LakieLady wrote: »
    No-one needs to come to Lewes though, there's nothing to see or do, not even on November 5th.

Have they cancelled the street procession and firework displays? :eek:
    planets wrote: »
    possibly the worst signposted town in the whole world it all looks the same and trying to find anywhere is impossible :mad:

Even the Galleria and the big business park.

You're right. It's not a particularly standoutish town, but that is the same for most towns in the UK.
    For me it'd be:
    Truro - for the cathedral alone
    Penzance - for the beaches & St. Michael's Mount
    Falmouth - for the bay and the legendary docks. The bay is very picturesque, and the docks... I was in awe at the size of the cranes, and how small the shipping containers looked when you looked down on them
    Tintagel - for the castle ruins and the walks around there
    St. Austell - for the Eden Project
    St. Ives - again, for the beaches

IMO, the best Cornish beach is Kynance Cove. It's National Trust property as well.

Beaches are ten a penny in Devon and Cornwall.

It depends on what you are interested in. If you like mountains, there is little point in going to the east of England. If you like coastal scenery there is not much point in going to Northamptonshire.
    Cornwall is 1,300 square miles in size. Can you narrow it down a bit or is 'Cornwall' per se worth a visit?

Yes. As is Devon. Just stay away from some of the larger towns. The coastal scenery is on a par, Devon is far better inland with Exmoor and Dartmoor for example.

=

My shortish list.
    Devon (coast, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Salcombe, Dartmouth), Cornwall (coast), Yorkshire (Yorkshire Dales), Cumbria (lake District), Derbyshire (Peak District), Wales (Gower Peninsula, Brecon Beacons, mid Wales mountains, Snowdonia), London, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Chester to name a few. That is anything but a complete list, but is a selection of some of the places I've been to in the UK.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Can I recommend a visit to Stevenage town centre.

Only if an afternoon visit to Hemel Hempstead is included as well
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Totally agree with this post. Best to stay away from Barra in particular.
    Also, loch Awe, Argyll and Bute and, while we are on the subject, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne in NE England should be missed.........except by me who will also report back.:D