Best City breaks you've had.

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't seen a thread on this so here goes;

Krakow

Just back from 4 days in Krakow , what a wonderful place to visit and the Poles were really lovely. Stayed in a fantastic Apartohotel 2 mins walk from the main square and it was brilliant. A day trip to Auschwitz which was also very impressive and eerie.I was amazed at the size of the death camps and what happened there.

All in all a great break for few days and so cheap to eat and drink out. Recommend 100%

Comments

• CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poles? Krakow? I would, but I had one yesterday. You like death camps, I like Dolphin World. We have so much in common!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marrakesh.
    Cheap flights, short journey, magnificent cheap riyadhs or budget hotels to stay in.
    3 days is just right to do the souks and sights and have stunning cheap meals in the spectacular spring-up street eateries at night in the Jemaa el-Fnaa square and the real restaurants.
    Exciting, colourful, vibrant and busy - a complete sensual bombardment.
    My favourite break in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dublin

Absolutely stunning place, great people, great vibe, plenty to do and see. Well worth the price and well worth the suggestion from the Irish geezer at work :D
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rome . So much to see , so much history to absorb and fine food to enjoy

Dubrovnik , wonderful and so very sad at the same time
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Budapest.

We went out of season (February, when the river cruises aren't running and there are no pavement cafes etc) and I still adored it.

Goulash and chicken paprikas, washed down with tokaj. Mmmmm. We also had a very cheap night at the ballet and, of course, went to the Szechenyi baths, in 4 degree cold! Amazing.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Rome - I could go back over and over again and see different things each time, beautiful city

Florence - a short break of 4 days was just perfect to see most of the historical city & the Uffizi Gallary

Venice - off season this is a fantastic city to visit, gong in the autumn or early spring avoids the massive crowds and summer heat and smells. It's incredible the difference having no cars around makes.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dublin

Absolutely stunning place, great people, great vibe, plenty to do and see. Well worth the price and well worth the suggestion from the Irish geezer at work :D

I don't do city breaks but did have a nice weekend in Dublin on 2 occasions.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's. The difference between a city break and a holiday ?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Rome . So much to see , so much history to absorb and fine food to enjoy

Dubrovnik , wonderful and so very sad at the same time

I concur on both destinations.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, Dublin. Haven't had many city breaks though so my experience is limited! Dublin was an excellent experience though, I didn't expect it. Would recommend it to anyone.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - Instanbul. East meets west. Loads of culture and stuff to do. Extremely cheap, easy to get around. Venice was a close second due to the uniqueness of the place.

Worst - Prague - full of drunken chavvy stag parties whose behavior leaves a lot to be desired. We were treated in a restaurant of the sight of someone drunkenly passing out into their meal, and his friends climbing up onto the table to urinate onto his head.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    Rome for me :)
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helsinki
    Stockholm
    Berlin
    Vienna
    Munich
    Salzburg

A few to be going on with :)
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a weekend in Cardiff that was awesome. Stayed in a high-rise flat next to that new shopping centre. Lovely city. Would recommend.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    I haven't seen a thread on this so here goes;

Krakow

Just back from 4 days in Krakow , what a wonderful place to visit and the Poles were really lovely. Stayed in a fantastic Apartohotel 2 mins walk from the main square and it was brilliant. A day trip to Auschwitz which was also very impressive and eerie.I was amazed at the size of the death camps and what happened there.

All in all a great break for few days and so cheap to eat and drink out. Recommend 100%

Totally agree. Went for 3 days in September. Great city, lovely people.
    To the idiot who said "You like death camps", Auschwitz is a place you visit to understand and show respect for those that suffered.
    You prefer watching wild animals trained do tricks for humans. So be it.

I also recommend Budapest (cruise the river by night), Rome, Barcelona (visit La Boqueria food market for a visual feast) and Dublin. (Guinness!!)
    As for Cardiff, well I'm just biased :)
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singapore and Barcelona.
  • ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    It's a tie between Amsterdam, Oostende and Moscow for me. :blush:
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Bruges was lovely, very beautiful.
  • ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Bruges was lovely, very beautiful.
    I've been to Bruges before, but was a little underwhelmed by the place - it reminded me very much of Tewkesbury, which I don't necessarily find a bad thing, but the atmosphere of the place seemed a bit lacklustre to my liking.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I had a wonderful time in Tallinn would highly recommend it.
  • denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amsterdam
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    ZipMason wrote: »
    I've been to Bruges before, but was a little underwhelmed by the place - it reminded me very much of Tewkesbury, which I don't necessarily find a bad thing, but the atmosphere of the place seemed a bit lacklustre to my liking.
    Never been to Tewkesbury. I loved Bruges, the Lake of Love, Minnewater, Walplein, Katelijnestraat, Old St. John's Hospital, Memlingmuseum, Church of Our Lady, Bonifacius bridge, Rozenhoedkaai, Huidenvettersplein and Vismarkt, Breidelstraat, Burg square and Market square. And then lunch from one of the chip vans by the Basilica of the Holy Blood and a huge jug of hot chocolate afterwards - superb.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rome
    Madrid
    Lisbon
    Oporto
    Riga
    Paris is always good, but when you don't have to battle
    to speak to people it doesn't seem like a holiday trip.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZipMason wrote: »

I take it that you're kidding, or you have been toking Moroccan Red.
    I've been to both places, fortunately Tewkesbury only twice.
    Comparing Bruges to Tewkesbury is akin to comparing Montreal
    with Basildon, with Bruges being Montreal.
    My family home is just under 80 klms. from Bruges, and I've visited Bruges
    lots of times.
    I'm not strictly enamoured of Bruges, but compared to Tewkesbury it's heaven.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been to Tewkesbury. I loved Bruges, the Lake of Love, Minnewater, Walplein, Katelijnestraat, Old St. John's Hospital, Memlingmuseum, Church of Our Lady, Bonifacius bridge, Rozenhoedkaai, Huidenvettersplein and Vismarkt, Breidelstraat, Burg square and Market square. And then lunch from one of the chip vans by the Basilica of the Holy Blood and a huge jug of hot chocolate afterwards - superb.

........and don't forget the kwak beer!

Absolutely love Bruges.