Cheapest SIM only contract??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are the cheapest SIM Only contracts available, and who are the providers.

(Not PAYG) - quite happy to be tied into a 12/24 month contract if the price is right!

Thanks

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin media and three tend to be cheapest i think.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty sure someone who posts here keeps this up to date - my apologies for forgetting their name.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjKnq7RtRv_sdDEyTkdIN1FCZ1RZUjdJTUdUV294bFE&usp=sharing#gid=0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Corf! That looks pretty good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    What are you after?? how many minutes & data?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    pretty sure someone who posts here keeps this up to date - my apologies for forgetting their name.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjKnq7RtRv_sdDEyTkdIN1FCZ1RZUjdJTUdUV294bFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

I made it.

Havent updated it in a couple of weeks though. Will probably get around to it this weekend.

Info in the spreadsheet should be 99% accurate though.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    thanks from me too for the work!

EE's 30 day plans are a lot more than Tesco, Virgin etc. Why?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    thanks from me too for the work!

EE's 30 day plans are a lot more than Tesco, Virgin etc. Why?

Short answer-
    EE are a premium operator

Long answer-
    EE is a mobile network operator. They build their network, they maintain their network, they have huge costs to do this and thus they need to price their plans in a area that will allow them to turn a profit.

Tesco don't have their own mobile network, they don't have costs to build a network, they don't have costs to maintain a network etc... As they rent the network they can afford to price their plans cheaper to turn a profit.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Short answer-
    EE are a premium operator

Long answer-
    EE is a mobile network operator. They build their network, they maintain their network, they have huge costs to do this and thus they need to price their plans in a area that will allow them to turn a profit.

Tesco don't have their own mobile network, they don't have costs to build a network, they don't have costs to maintain a network etc... As they rent the network they can afford to price their plans cheaper to turn a profit.

fair point, thanks. They're more than O2 though - are they that much better? I'm London based
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fair point, thanks. They're more than O2 though - are they that much better? I'm London based

Do you mean are tesco that much better than o2?

Signal wise they're the same as O2 as they run on that network. If not please ignore the following!

Customer service wise they're a world apart from O2. In the years I was with O2 if ever there was a problem you could guarantee you would be at least an hour on hold to get through to some incompetent idiot who acted like them sorting out your issue was too much like hard work. Would fob you off with some excuse so you'd have to call at least three times, each time spending an age on hole (my longest was 1 hour 50 minutes on hold) before you got the issue sorted. When I left they asked why, I told them tesco had a sim only that was better than theirs. In an attempt to keep my custom they offered a 'similar' (the CS's exact words) sim only deal which consisted of 700 less minutes. The same sms and 700mb less of data for £4 more. And the rep was shocked when I said no thanks.

The few occasions I've had to call tesco I've gotten through in a few minutes and a pleasant CS rep has sorted the problem out within a few minutes. Once I had a general enquiry which he was sorted immediately and £10 taken off my next bill because the information should have been explained to be when I took the contract out.

O2 could learn a lot about customer service from tesco.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I get 750 mins 5000 text and 1 gig internet for £10 a month. This is Tesco SIM only deal.
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the cheapest SIM Only contracts available, and who are the providers.

(Not PAYG) - quite happy to be tied into a 12/24 month contract if the price is right!

Thanks

You'll need to elaborate on that

How much allowances are you wanting? I.E Unlimited Texts/Minutes/Data?

Here's a spreadsheet via someone at HotUKDeals that explains most mobile operator tariffs;-

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get 1,200 minutes and unlimited texts and data from virgin for £5 a month.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get 1,200 minutes and unlimited texts and data* from virgin for £5 a month.

*3.5gb of data, no 4G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    *3.5gb of data, no 4G.

I'm fully aware of the fair use policy thanks, even though i'm told by various virgin employees there isn't one.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fully aware of the fair use policy thanks, even though i'm told by various virgin employees there isn't one.
    Oh, but there most definitely is. :) I left Three a couple of months ago to go to VM, thinking the grass was greener. Less than 2 months later I went back to Three, with their real unlimited internet.
    VM will slow your connection down to a crawl if you dare go over the limited "unlimited" 3.5GB.

When I was canceling my 30day contract, VM bod tried to convince me there was no throttling, or 3.5GB limit, until he slipped up later in the call admitting there is, in fact, a 3.5GB fair usage and the speed will be ahem..."traffic managed".

If you want streaming or YouTube etc, VM is most definitely not the provider to be with.

Glad to see the back of them.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Oh, but there most definitely is. :) I left Three a couple of months ago to go to VM, thinking the grass was greener. Less than 2 months later I went back to Three, with their real unlimited internet.
    VM will slow your connection down to a crawl if you dare go over the limited "unlimited" 3.5GB.

When I was canceling my 30day contract, VM bod tried to convince me there was no throttling, or 3.5GB limit, until he slipped up later in the call admitting there is, in fact, a 3.5GB fair usage and the speed will be ahem..."traffic managed".

If you want streaming or YouTube etc, VM is most definitely not the provider to be with.

Why don't they just say it's 3.5GB? It's so dishonest.

It's like ISPs used to be 10 years ago...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

Again, i'm fully aware of the situation and have been since I joined Virgin Mobile over two years ago. I've been told by more staff that there isn't a FUP than I have been that there is.

I'm not making any statements either way, just simply relaying what i've been told.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's definitely still a limit to the unlimited data, which they bury within the terms and conditions:
    For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network. For customers who joined before 25 June 2012 excessive use over 2GB of data per calendar month will result in this restriction being applied. This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed.

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#12
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite impressed by the Tesco SIM only deals. 4G included with 1GB for £12 a month looks a winner with a decent amount of voice and text also.

Tesco have been adding quite a lot of new customers and are probably the UK's second biggest MVNO now behind Virgin Mobile.