Is it just me or is ALW cracking up?

lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
Forum Member
His jokes just sound...mad. Amanda Holden looks awkward.

Comments

• Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    ALW has always been as mad as a box of frogs !

As for that dreadful shouty Amanda, she has no idea what she is doing. No empathy whatsoever and just reads words ( very badly ) from an autocue. I doubt this will enhance her career.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I have always found ALW strange .His body movements are odd, his hand gestures even odder and his facial expressions peculiar .I am reluctant o label him but have my own opinion on it .
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's what happens to some, intellectuals. They turn into the nutty professor type. ALW should watch a Professor Brian Cox programme to see how to communicate information without coming across completely peculiar.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's just praised Ben for doing something he told Jon the other night he shouldn't do.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALW and Mel could sing Michael Jackson's ' Ben', together to try to increase his votes.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    After putting Roger through last night when he was clearly the worst singer in the bottom 3, ALW has definitely lost the plot.

Both Jeff and Jon were robbed and Jeff in my opinion was streets ahead of Roger. I'm beginning to think this is a stitch up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They scuppered Jeff and Jon and have fitted up Nathan as being 'too confident'. Eliminating the competition ? :rolleyes:
  • molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes ALW has lost the plot.
    He chose Roger over Jeff.
    Bonkers.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    To be fair, Roger clearly had some sort of bad throat.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are missing the point that its not a popularity contest but is a search for someone who can be consistent and cope with the rigours of touring and performing.

I thought Jeff was by far the best last night but fully expected him to go because of his age, lack of stage experience and inconsistency.

The way I see it is that although the final eleven were all good, it was artificially raising the expectations of most of them to put them in the 'lives' because they had/have no chance of fulfilling the remit.

Andrew Lloyd Webber is a master craftsman and I just wish I could lose the plot in the manner of which he has been accused.;)

The real villains of the piece are the folk in the production company who didn't put forward the experienced and tried and tested performers because they were looking for good television.......and in many ways it has been successful in causing controversy.

The winner will be an experienced professional.........of that I am certain.:)
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    He does seem to have grown grumpy with age. Some of his remarks have been very unkind. He also seems to repeat himself a lot. As for the jokes, well he's always made lame jokes and at least they're harmless.
    I've always loved his shows but, apart from Mel, I've found all the judges sarcastic and quite nasty on this one. I can't remember this happening before. What happened to constructive critisism ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see judges on any programme being clearly not, pre - programmed by whoever makes decisions.
    Actually, I'd like to see no judges at all and instead, a return to seeing talented people come on, do their stuff and then go. It used to be called Entertainment. You didn't have to pay for it twice ie by voting as well as paying the licence fee. :)
  • guenevereguenevere Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see judges on any programme being clearly not, pre - programmed by whoever makes decisions.
    Actually, I'd like to see no judges at all and instead, a return to seeing talented people come on, do their stuff and then go. It used to be called Entertainment. You didn't have to pay for it twice ie by voting as well as paying the licence fee. :)
    <stands up like MPs, and waves a stack of old Jesus Christ Superstar programmes> Hear, hear! Traditinal entertainment involved producers scouting it and then delighting the audience. It's not up to audiences to do the auditioning (and especially not when the judges are apparently being primed) Reality talent shows are merely really one long audition and advertisement. They also ruin the surprise value of the show, because you hear at least one of the key songs again and again. By the time the show comes on, you're sick of it. :)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think last night's hissy fit on air answers the OP's question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the fact that the 2012 revival of Jesus Christ, Superstar closed on Broadway on the 1st July after only 116 performances has made him nervous?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are missing the point that its not a popularity contest but is a search for someone who can be consistent and cope with the rigours of touring and performing.

I thought Jeff was by far the best last night but fully expected him to go because of his age, lack of stage experience and inconsistency.

The way I see it is that although the final eleven were all good, it was artificially raising the expectations of most of them to put them in the 'lives' because they had/have no chance of fulfilling the remit.

Andrew Lloyd Webber is a master craftsman and I just wish I could lose the plot in the manner of which he has been accused.;)

The real villains of the piece are the folk in the production company who didn't put forward the experienced and tried and tested performers because they were looking for good television.......and in many ways it has been successful in causing controversy.

The winner will be an experienced professional.........of that I am certain.:)

The winner will probably be the one Andrew Lloyd Webber picked in the first place, which rather defeats the point of having a series of shows. The viewing figures speak for themselves. Countryfile got twice as many viewers on one evening.

Andrew Lloyd Webber went ahead with the series even though Tim Rice wasn't happy about it. so that's one master craftsman who didn't agree with Lord Webber- master -craftsman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaniGrey wrote: »
    I wonder if the fact that the 2012 revival of Jesus Christ, Superstar closed on Broadway on the 1st July after only 116 performances has made him nervous?

this ^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ' Love Never Dies' closed too in London ?
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaniGrey wrote: »

I love the show but it's very much stuck in the 70s vibe. Are they thinking that today's theatre-going public are only interested in boyband types? It's really not true at all. Teenagers are not likely to be able to afford the ticket price to this. The average age of the audience could be 35-55 so they seriously need to re-examine what it is they are trying to do. I have no doubt in my mind that Rory would be a disaster as Jesus. He can hit the notes but he cannot offer any depth of emotion or believabilty as Jesus the character, He murdered that Phil Collins song and was a plank of wood.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the show but it's very much stuck in the 70s vibe. Are they thinking that today's theatre-going public are only interested in boyband types? It's really not true at all. Teenagers are not likely to be able to afford the ticket price to this. The average age of the audience could be 35-55 so they seriously need to re-examine what it is they are trying to do. I have no doubt in my mind that Rory would be a disaster as Jesus. He can hit the notes but he cannot offer any depth of emotion or believabilty as Jesus the character, He murdered that Phil Collins song and was a plank of wood.

I said exactly the same thing on another thread. JCSS was very much of its time, and although I love it (I was in my 20s when it came out), I think it might be a bit old-fashioned for a modern audience. They'll end up with the Cliff Richard generation, and they'll not be looking for a pretty boy in the role of Jesus. Which is why I hope that Roger gets the part, as he could probably bridge the gap. I don't find either Rory or Ben to have sufficient stage presence. And it's not just me being old, I thought Lee Meade was absolutely brilliant in the auditions for Joseph. It's just that to my mind, Rory and Ben ain't that great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    ALW may not have totally cracked up but he is obviously partially there. To get rid of the one great rock opera type tenor in the competition (Nathan) and arguably another though not quite as good (Jeff) and then to announce last night to the three remaining contestants, none of whom are right for this lead role talented though they may be, something to the effect of 'right, chaps - now we can go ahead and find our rock opera superstar!' is, definitely, bonkers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mattpaint wrote: »
    ALW may not have totally cracked up but he is obviously partially there. To get rid of the one great rock opera type tenor in the competition (Nathan) and arguably another though not quite as good (Jeff) and then to announce last night to the three remaining contestants, none of whom are right for this lead role talented though they may be, something to the effect of 'right, chaps - now we can go ahead and find our rock opera superstar!' is, definitely, bonkers.

To be brutally honest, I wonder if he really cares? It's been said many times about X-Factor that Simon Cowell isn't bothered about the record contract being successful, he's made his money on the phone votes. Superstar might not have been as popular as other reality shows, but definitely worth a punt. I'm sure there will still be a profit even if the tour doesn't work out, and the contestants, even the winner, are disposable. JCSS definitely wasn't ALW's best, both the music and the lyrics are kind of like a young wine - not great at the time, but suggesting greater things to come.

Margaret Thatcher (not that I'm a fan!) used to say "Don't look back, you're not going there". Maybe ALW should have listened.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The winner will probably be the one Andrew Lloyd Webber picked in the first place, which rather defeats the point of having a series of shows.

I suspect the point of the shows is part PR and part creaming money from a gullible public rather than choosing a star.
    Let's put it this way - with a big production at stake, ALW is not about to entrust selection to the great British public. If ALW doesn't want someone, even the entire UK population voting night after night for the same person, won't get that person through. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree. :) At he start of the series I wrote the names of the four I thought that ALW liked best and gave it to my sister. " The finalists", I said. They were on the show last night.
    Apparently though he's still saying that it's a search, for a rock superstar Jesus and that it's the public's choice. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently though he's still saying that it's a search, for a rock superstar Jesus and that it's the public's choice. :D

It's amazing how gullible they think we are, isn't it? I don't generally vote, but if I did, it would kind of be like betting, a bit of fun. I'm well aware that the winner was probably decided well before the show aired, and the show itself is just a money-making exercise. If I was ever to be a contestant on that sort of show (highly unlikely), I'd go in with the attitude that my aim was to get on the live shows and get some TV exposure. Winning would be nice, but it's far from being the only prize (as some X-Factor winners will testify).