Options

Ebay item turned up in the end - something not right

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought on Ebay a make-up kit for my sister and paid straightaway. This was on the 15th of August.
Sister could have then collected it while she was here, as she was supposed to be visiting me from the 20th to the 28th. It was sent first class and I was notified on the 16th that it had been dispatched.
Sister lives in Italy.
Item never turned up while she was here. I opened a case with Ebay and seller replied saying they would refund me or send another item to my address or my sister's (bear in mind she doesn't live in the UK).
I said I wanted a full refund as it would cost me money to send it to her myself or have the seller send it to her abroad.
I had no more replies. I wrote again yesterday saying the item hadn't turned up yet.
I got it this morning. Stamp says 29-8-2013. I believe it was then posted yesterday.
Has the seller sent another one yesterday (and I didn't want another one and had told so) or has the seller lied about dispatching it on the 16th?
Can it be just a delay in processing the item by Royal Mail?
I will close the case obviously as I got my item, but I think there is something dodgy.
Now I have to send it to her and it will cost me money.
If it had been sent when it should have, it would have gotten here in time for her to collect it.
Ebay said delivery was to be expected for the 26th at the latest in fact. A first class item shouldn't take two weeks to be delivered anyway.

Comments

• Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Items can certainly get delayed in the post. I'm an Ebay seller, have dispatched promptly only for the buyer to get in touch when it hasn't shown up. Sometimes it turns up days if not weeks later, occasionally not at all. Doesn't happen often, but happen it does.

Whether or not that happened in this case, or the seller was remiss, you will never know.
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    I bought on Ebay a make-up kit for my sister and paid straightaway. This was on the 15th of August.
    Sister could have then collected it while she was here, as she was supposed to be visiting me from the 20th to the 28th. It was sent first class and I was notified on the 16th that it had been dispatched.
    Sister lives in Italy.
    Item never turned up while she was here. I opened a case with Ebay and seller replied saying they would refund me or send another item to my address or my sister's (bear in mind she doesn't live in the UK).
    I said I wanted a full refund as it would cost me money to send it to her myself or have the seller send it to her abroad.
    I had no more replies. I wrote again yesterday saying the item hadn't turned up yet.
    I got it this morning. Stamp says 29-8-2013. I believe it was then posted yesterday.
    Has the seller sent another one yesterday (and I didn't want another one and had told so) or has the seller lied about dispatching it on the 16th?
    I will close the case obviously as I got my item, but I think there is something dodgy.
    If it had been sent when it should have, it would have gotten here in time for her to collect it.
    Ebay said delivery was to be expected for the 26th at the latest in fact. A first class item shouldn't take two weeks to be delivered anyway.

E-Bay can be great. But you do take your chances sometimes - even with 'good sellers.'

Which is why I tend to go for Amazon wherever possible, because Ebay have utterly useless support, help and constructive input compared to Amazon.
  • Options
    VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Sister lives in Italy.

I tend to agree with you.
    You can leave your feedback accordingly. If you are seriously angry at them you can express that in the stars system. If a seller is given just 1 or 2 stars, this can have serious consequences for him.
    Then again, remember things can go wrong, these things happen, and unless the seller was quite rude I would not punish him that way.
    You decide
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Sister lives in Italy.

All you can realisically really do here is to give them a low score for time taken to despatch and I would 'neutral' them - I save negging for people who don't send items or who send damaged items and then refuse to refund.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you asked your post office/depot if the package arrived/was sent on? Years ago my brother ordered stuff from ebay that never reached him, turned out the postie was stealing the stuff. Maybe the same happened in this situation
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Have you asked your post office/depot if the package arrived/was sent on? Years ago my brother ordered stuff from ebay that never reached him, turned out the postie was stealing the stuff. Maybe the same happened in this situation

They do take complaints seriously - and do look for patterns, so complete a form or ring up Royal Mail Customer Services.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Yes as an ebay seller, to rely on the post is not good as we have had a gift card go astray when sending it to an elderly relative and the PO refuses to do anything.

There are many good sellers and I value my 100% feedback more than anything else and will take a loss rather than lose it, but there are also very bad ones who are nothing but charlatans and make up is where I found them to be the worst.

I cannot offer a solution but only to say, use it as experience and do not get into the same situation again. It is galling to let someone get away with it but I was going to buy something for myself today and saw the sellers dreadful feedback and wouldn't touch him with a bargepole, so they do lose buyers by doing this.