Options

'Colour' commentaries and Punditry

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Arguably (or statisically) one of the best World Cups ever. But, one major drawback is the content of commentaries for me.

Have broadcasters lost the plot with the people they are employing as colour commentators? The Phil Neville situation aside, I particularly find that it isn't tone or delivery, it's just the sheer amount of mindless drivel and stats that might be thrown up. It does make me want to do that.

My particular gripe is with Clark Carlisle. For a supposedly educated man, he talks absolute pub banter. If I want to hear that, I can go watch the game in the pub with the sound turned off (or being drowned out by music) and have a random bloke or a mate bend my ears with the same kind of stuff.

And, colour commentary should be exactly that. Occasional, and with real insight. How many World Cups has Clark Carlisle played in (or even been to before this one)? Maybe it's just because the commentators are no good. I must admit to avoiding ITV wherever possible, but unfortunately for World Cups there is no option. So, I have no idea where they found Sam Matterface.

Is it because they fit within the budget (i.e. as cheap as ****) because I can see no other reason why they were chosen?

And finally, punditry - whether pitchside or studio, too many ex-players, just too many people not contributing to any kind of meaningful debate or decent analysis. BT, yes I certainly include you, even though you're nowhere near the World Cup.

****ing overpaid drivel. Overpaid if they're being paid anything.

Comments

• Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Colour commentaries"????
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he means co-commentators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    I think he means co-commentators.

I think the phrase that really threw me was:
    "And, colour commentary should be exactly that. Occasional, and with real insight."
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colour Commentator is an American/Canadian term.

Link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sattrega wrote: »
    Colour Commentator is an American/Canadian term.

Link.

Thanks. Does that mean we start calling Wilson and Pearce the "play by play guys"?
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if any folk here follow MBM's ?

I wonder what the likes of The Guardians Brian Glendinning would be like as co commentator?

Or Tim Vickery ? (I admit I don't think be would work for that role, but may be interesting to see him try, he can be quick when he needs to be).
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC should just stick Danny Murphy on co-commentary for every other match they have. He's been the only one I've really taken to. Martin Keown isn't too bad either.

Andy Townsend, Clarke Carlisle, Robbie Savage, Mark Lawrensen, Phil Neville - all excruciatingly annoying.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree about Murphy. He's been the only one worth listening to.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    BBC should just stick Danny Murphy on co-commentary for every other match they have. He's been the only one I've really taken to. Martin Keown isn't too bad either.

Andy Townsend, Clarke Carlisle, Robbie Savage, Mark Lawrensen, Phil Neville - all excruciatingly annoying.

Agree on Murphy, I think Keown is very good too, and you don't get to see his face

:D
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brad Friedel was very good on 5Live
  • Options
    STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    note to all commentators(and co commentators) ,especially sam matterface/andy townsend etc ,you dont have to keep talking all the time!!

has anyone else noticed ,apart from a few pundits ,football is still talked in cliche after cliche ,even when said cliche isn't true ,a lack of research and lazy punditry.

Andy Townsend is just the worst ever
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God for the Red Button.

Mark Lawrensons' Eeyore-ish droning and kvetching is aural Prozac.

He could make sex sound like a chore.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    want someone to "tell it like it is!!!"
    :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tennis not football.

In a quite one sided Ladies final today, BBC had 3 co-commentators. Judy Murray, Laura Robson and another player as well (I forget who, but not Bartoli) as well as the main commentator Obviously they had a budget to use up! It only lasted 55 minutes, and they didn't add much.

The daftest content was when the male commentator came out with some cr@p that Bouchard was making unforced errors as a result of Kvitova forcing her to make these unforced errors. What?
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta say, I'm finding Danny Murphy a bit annoying on the BBC. He gets melodramatic over nothing at the best of times, and he definitely sounds like a young Ron Atkinson, the vocal resemblance to his commentaries is uncanny!
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    Gotta say, I'm finding Danny Murphy a bit annoying on the BBC. He gets melodramatic over nothing at the best of times, and he definitely sounds like a young Ron Atkinson, the vocal resemblance to his commentaries is uncanny!

The very first time I heard Danny Murphy this World Cup, I actually confused his voice for Mark Lawrenson's. I'd say he was more of a soundalike for Murphy than Ron Atkinson. (I soon realised it wasn't Mark Lawrenson when he starting saying something interesting and wasn't complaining and moaning all of the time).
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be able to "red button" the co-commentator's mic off (or double press for NO commentary at all!).