Preparing for an Ebola outbreak

too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was a little surprised when a friend mentioned that she was stocking up with water and long life food - tinned foods, meal replacements, pasta, etc., - in preparation for an Ebola epidemic.

Are people really doing this? Do you know other people who are starting to get ready for needing to survive?

I thought it was a little extreme but she was quite annoyed with me when I said that I thought it wasn't necessary....?

Comments

• TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a little extreme but she was quite annoyed with me when I said that I thought it wasn't necessary....?

i think it is called paranoia
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't she just use the supplies she's got in for the zombie apocalypse?

...everyone DOES have those, right?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Why? What is the concern? That people will no longer be able to produce food if there is an ebola epidemic? That the virus might suddenly become communicable by air, precluding visits to Waitrose?
    I don't really understand the rationale (or lack of it).

My understanding is that Ebola, like HIV, is only spread by exchange of bodily fluids.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Can't she just use the supplies she's got in for the zombie apocalypse?

...everyone DOES have those, right?

you haven't thought that through.......

what would happen if you've used up your supplies and the ebola victims start rising from the dead ?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    you haven't thought that through.......

what would happen if you've used up your supplies and the ebola victims start rising from the dead ?

Very good point.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another mass hysteria pandemic that everybody is waiting for... that doesn't happen. Along with HIV in the 80s and swine 'flu a couple a few years back... Having said that I was one of the first to get swine flu. Made me ill for a few days and it was less severe than normal flu, though of course some unlucky sods to get very ill or die with it.

Still waiting... I sometimes wonder if half of these things are propagated by big pharma for the sale of tamiflu, etc. Every year it's the bloody same. In a few months it'll be the seasonal 'flu pandemic and so on.

This has to be a joke thread.

Does your friend watch Alex Jones, btw OP? There are always those waiting for the end of the world, the collapse of everything and the NWO to take over.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Why? What is the concern? That people will no longer be able to produce food if there is an ebola epidemic? That the virus might suddenly become communicable by air, precluding visits to Waitrose?

My understanding is that Ebola, like HIV, is only spread by exchange of bodily fluids.

She seems to think that a trip out for supplies could be a potential death run... :o

She has also purchased industrial quantities of disposable gloves which I am concerned she may start wearing soon when we go to the pub for a pint.

I am glad that others think that this is extreme behaviour as I was wondering if I was being mean when I laughed about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another mass hysteria pandemic that everybody is waiting for... that doesn't happen. Along with HIV in the 80s and swine 'flu a couple a few years back... Having said that I was one of the first to get swine flu. Made me ill for a few days and it was less severe than normal flu, though of course some unlucky sods to get very ill or die with it.

Still waiting... I sometimes wonder if half of these things are propagated by big pharma for the sale of tamiflu, etc. Every year it's the bloody same. In a few months it'll be the seasonal 'flu pandemic and so on.

This has to be a joke thread.

It is a genuine question about a real situation although I think that her actions are a joke.
  • TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How utterly stupid! Fancy leaving it this late! I started stocking up after I built the shelter under my back garden when the first case of bird flu hit Taiwan! :):)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are irrational about all sorts of things and may not take kindly to criticism even when meant kindly or made in jest.

Might be an idea never to mention it again with them.

I speak from experience having stuck my foot in mouth numerous times over the years :-)
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lot more virulent than HIV, it can survive outside a body for 6 days.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it is called paranoia

What's it called when you lay in extra supplies as preparation for the panic buying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are irrational about all sorts of things and may not take kindly to criticism even when meant kindly or made in jest.

Might be an idea never to mention it again with them.

I speak from experience having stuck my foot in mouth numerous times over the years :-)

I am going to just accept any future plans she has as that it's up to her if it makes her feel safer.

I am also really bad in respect of "foot in mouth" syndrome so I'll just try to be as tactful as possible - although I'm not going to wear any protective gloves if she starts suggesting it :D
  • reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We like (Ok my husband but I go along with it) to be prepared for all eventualities in life. We have enough tinned and dried food to last us two months and around about 80liters of bottled water, my DH plans to buy more water.
    We also have plenty of hand wash, soap, bleach etc.

I should add we started storing food many years ago when we went through a tough financial period, it seems like a good idea to have some food to tide you over when in a tough spot. I know a lot of people who would have barely any food left after a week.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I was a little surprised when a friend mentioned that she was stocking up with water and long life food - tinned foods, meal replacements, pasta, etc., - in preparation for an Ebola epidemic.

Are people really doing this? Do you know other people who are starting to get ready for needing to survive?

Only nutters, trouble is that in cases of panic like that it's infectious

Why is she not stockpiling loo rolls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems to think that a trip out for supplies could be a potential death run... :o

She has also purchased industrial quantities of disposable gloves which I am concerned she may start wearing soon when we go to the pub for a pint.

I am glad that others think that this is extreme behaviour as I was wondering if I was being mean when I laughed about it.

If Ebola was to hit badly (I'm not convinced it will) then she's right a trip to the supermarket will be a death run. Lots of people suddenly panic buying in close quarters isn't a good idea.
    Disposable gloves won't do much to protect her you can still catch it buy touching your face with the gloves, same with disposable masks pointless.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

She's insane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only nutters, trouble is that in cases of panic like that it's infectious

Why is she not stockpiling loo rolls?

She may well be. She was too cross with me for being flippant about her purchases to carry on telling me about any other stockpiled supplies.
    reddress wrote: »
    If Ebola was to hit badly (I'm not convinced it will) then she's right a trip to the supermarket will be a death run. Lots of people suddenly panic buying in close quarters isn't a good idea.
    Disposable gloves won't do much to protect her you can still catch it buy touching your face with the gloves, same with disposable masks pointless.

Oh gawd.... Don't let her know that! She'll be ordering full hazmat suits next... :o:o
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    We like (Ok my husband but I go along with it) to be prepared for all eventualities in life. We have enough tinned and dried food to last us two months and around about 80liters of bottled water, my DH plans to buy more water.
    We also have plenty of hand wash, soap, bleach etc.

I should add we started storing food many years ago when we went through a tough financial period, it seems like a good idea to have some food to tide you over when in a tough spot. I know a lot of people who would have barely any food left after a week.

Or you could just save some money to tide you over for a tough patch, which you can readily convert to freshly bought food, and not have to clutter up the house. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could just save some money to tide you over for a tough patch, which you can readily convert to freshly bought food, and not have to clutter up the house. :confused:

Our house isn't clutter up its all neatly stored.
    Our tinned stuff has been built up slowly, we look at deals each week and maybe spend a few pounds which we can easily afford so we aren't missing out on fresh food.
    We also have savings too.
    Plus lets not forget how food prices have shot up in recent years what £5 in tinned food can buy you today will be less in two years. But the food bought two years before will still be fine to eat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Or, you know, she could just do the sensible thing and get herself a flu jab. Something she is probably much more likely to contract than the ebola virus!
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It can live outside the body for a substantial time...there was an example in an article of someone sneezing on a hand rail on the bus then someone else with a cut or scratch touching it and in theory it could be spread. HIV cant be spread by it.

I have OCD and find the journeys to work in winter a nightmare, everyone coughing, sneezing and no one seems to cover their face with a tissue. It freaks me out. I'm trying to stay rational about ebola but will freak out once it hits this country and is passed on.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our house isn't clutter up its all neatly stored.
    Our tinned stuff has been built up slowly, we look at deals each week and maybe spend a few pounds which we can easily afford so we aren't missing out on fresh food.
    We also have savings too.
    Plus lets not forget how food prices have shot up in recent years what £5 in tinned food can buy you today will be less in two years. But the food bought two years before will still be fine to eat.

Not so sure of that these days. I opened a tin of Soup that I bought in 2011 the other day best before date was 2013. It was a conjeled lump when I poured it out and smelt odd so I threw it away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I'll be doing all my panic buying at the last minute like everyone else.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Ebola were to mutate and become airborne in the way the common cold is airborne, then that might the the time to start preparing in this way. But as things stand, the most we have to fear is fear itself.