ELO on BBC4 tonight - 17/10/14 from 2100

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Folks -

Jeff lynne on BBC4 again -
2100-2200 - Mr Blue Sky - the docco wot was on before
2200 - 2330 - Jeff's set at Hyde Park...

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've several ELO albums...somewhere...I saw this first time round, but I didn't learn anything more about Jeff Lynne "the person" than I knew already, was that deliberate?

Still play my mp3 of "Telephone Line" occasionally. Some great tunes.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have already seen them both
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you.. as I was away, and they didn't keep the concert on the i-player, I missed it. The documentary well worth a watch - and made me feel old for the clips of old Birmingham before Manzoni and the planners started flattening it.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I've several ELO albums...somewhere...I saw this first time round, but I didn't learn anything more about Jeff Lynne "the person" than I knew already, was that deliberate?
    I was a massive fan of ELO in their heyday (still love the music to this day) but, like you - as much as I enjoyed the documentary - I learnt nothing that I didn't already know about Jeff Lynne. I think that's probably what I like about him - as much as a music genius that he is - he truly is a private person - doesn't flaunt himself about here and there - never has. For him - the music talks.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already seen these, but I'm more than happy to watch again. One can never ger enough ELO.

Cheers.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you.. as I was away, and they didn't keep the concert on the i-player, I missed it. The documentary well worth a watch - and made me feel old for the clips of old Birmingham before Manzoni and the planners started flattening it.
    They had it on there for 30 days - was off Radio 2 - so was a freestanding package.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm know going a bit mutt and jeff (nothing above 15 khz these days) but the concert sounds a bit mushy to my ears - more so than the last time)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a massive fan of ELO in their heyday (still love the music to this day) but, like you - as much as I enjoyed the documentary - I learnt nothing that I didn't already know about Jeff Lynne. I think that's probably what I like about him - as much as a music genius that he is - he truly is a private person - doesn't flaunt himself about here and there - never has. For him - the music talks.

Nice home though, what little we saw of it, as I remember from the first time around of this programme,

Well it is "BBC Before," isn't it?
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved ELO, not seen the Hyde Park concert before though.
    Thought it sounded really good, Jeff still sounds great, love his voice.
    Where was Bev on drums though? or am I behind the times lol.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I've always loved ELO, not seen the Hyde Park concert before though.
    Thought it sounded really good, Jeff still sounds great, love his voice.
    Where was Bev on drums though? or am I behind the times lol.

This is the 'third' version of the group I know to.

The 'classic' version went through from the early 70's to mid 80's.

The next version was the version from around 1991, which was commonly known as Elo Part 2, featuring Bev Bevan on drums & Kelly Grocutt & Eric Troyer on vocals (Check out Honest Men from that period). That version later became Orchestra, for legal reasons I believe.

Jeff's new version started sometime in the 2000's (Zoom album? )
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing from Time and no Last Train To London. To say I was disappointed would be a MASSIVE understatement.
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen either of these before, watched the doc and have recorded the concert which I will watch tonight. he comes across as a thoroughly decent chap, seems reasonably modest and grounded, no airs and graces about him.

I thought the doc concentrated too much on the Travelling Wilburys and there was very little content about ELO through the 70's which was a shame.

Still love Mr Blue Sky after all these years, which of course must be played right to the very last note
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Westy :)
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the concert on youtube. Marvellous. Love the introduction to 10538 Overture.

Is the docu the one where we can see Jeff in his lovely garden?

I've been a fan of ELO for most of my life. Was a member of the Dutch fanclub in the early eighties. So it's nice to see ELO back, albeit not in the classic line-up. Apparently Jeff enjoyed the Hyde Park concert so much, he's thinking about a 2015 Tour!!!!!!!!!
    What a year that would be. Savatage reunion at Wacken 2015 and ELO!!!!!

Mr. Blue Sky is also one of my favourite songs. My Alma Mater used the song (to the very last note) for one of those lipbub video's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    Saw the concert on youtube. Marvellous. Love the introduction to 10538 Overture.

Is the docu the one where we can see Jeff in his lovely garden?

I've been a fan of ELO for most of my life. Was a member of the Dutch fanclub in the early eighties. So it's nice to see ELO back, albeit not in the classic line-up. Apparently Jeff enjoyed the Hyde Park concert so much, he's thinking about a 2015 Tour!!!!!!!!!
    What a year that would be. Savatage reunion at Wacken 2015 and ELO!!!!!

Mr. Blue Sky is also one of my favourite songs. My Alma Mater used the song (to the very last note) for one of those lipbub video's.

there are much better songs in their back catalogue
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are much better songs in their back catalogue

I know, but it's the one that got me hooked on ELO.
    What are your favourites?
  • sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I knew a little bit of ELO already such as Mr. Blue Sky and Xanadu but having watched the concert on BBC4 last night they have now gained a new fan in me. I loved every song. I can't understand why they are not talked about as much as other 70s/80s acts. They are brilliant and Jeff Lynne seems lovely and very talented. Mr. Blue Sky is just brilliant and majestic.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That lead violinist was lush.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My faves are Sweet Talking Woman, and Don't Bring me Down.
    Also really like Rock Aria.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would've been nice to see his own vocal version of Xanadu, which was on the most recent Greatest Hits compilation.

By the way, can I now get rid of my 'Taped from Red Button' version, or was there anything missing from BBC4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Would've been nice to see his own vocal version of Xanadu, which was on the most recent Greatest Hits compilation.

By the way, can I now get rid of my 'Taped from Red Button' version, or was there anything missing from BBC4?

no it wasn't it was on the 2005 release
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the one that Roy Wood is interviewed? If so, he came across as really pissed off with himself for baling out on ELO early on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff proved he didn't need Roy Wood, he managed rather well on his own :)

It's repeated tonight at 11.50 for the docu, followed by the concert starting at 12.50.

I'm going to record it this time, and watch it again. :cool: :)
  • classicsforeverclassicsforever Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I can't understand why they kept saying it was ELO's first concert since 1986. The group did a concert in the States to promote the 'Zoom' album about 12 yrs ago and that was over an hr long I didn't even know about that until I got the DVD in a charity shop a few months ago. Made a change from playing the 1978 live concert for the umpteenth time.