Options

Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week, scientists revealed that Victor Meldrew syndrome, a form of exasperated, powerless irascibility named after the lead character in the sitcom One Foot in The Grave, now kicks in sooner, at the age of 52.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1319179/I-wanted-catch-flight-early-onset-Victor-Meldrew-Syndrome.html

She 's just plain rude and arrogant, always has been, always will be. As far as Liz is concerned, I think most readers would say 'Victor Meldrew syndrome my ar*e'.'
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    The m5 was busy, as usual, Bristol was chock-a-block with rush-hour traffic, even though it was only 3.30pm (why do people finish work so early?).

We have had this before with people daring to be out on the street between the hours of 9 to 5- implying that no-one works as many hours as she does. Perhaps they all started work early Liz? How do you know they HAD finished work? Maybe they were on business? Oooh she annoys me more and more each week :mad:
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    "What if i don’t want to move on? What if i want to worry at something and go over it and over it, again and again?"

you get a column in the D Heil & drive everyone else mad :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aligail wrote: »
    We all know that Liz Jones doesn't have to follow the rules like normal mortals! I'm sure she wouldn't dream of even bothering to read the check in advice.

]

I'm finding the airport one a bit baffling. Where is this airport where all the staff speak in pidgin English? It sounds from the rest of her account as if it is in Bristol, but the cod foreign accents make it sound like a cheap travalogue about, say, Tashkent.

And was she proposing to fly to Edinburgh leaving her car badly parked in the drop off zone? I don't know about Bristol, but at Heathrow that would cause a major security incident, and you would certainly never see the car again.
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's breaking one of the golden rules of lying - make sure what you say is plausible, especially if you're being paid several thousand pounds to say it in a national newspaper. Were I Stelios, I'd be consulting my lawyers right now.

BTW, the Diary has become unreadable - badly written and plotted, even for quasi-fiction: in a recent interview (for the purpose of flogging the house) she said how lovely the neighbours were (en passant - what neighbours: doesn't she live in the isolated wilds of Exmoor with no neighbours for miles ? :rolleyes:) and now, allowing for the month's lag, they're forming a lynch mob for the dog at the gate. Lizzie, Lizzie, Lizzie... didn't mummy ever tell you that if you told lies no-one would ever like you and you never have any friends ?

Oh, wait... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I suppose the biggest lesson I’ve learnt over the years is that the nicer you are, the more people expect.

That's her problem. She's just too nice for this coarse, unforgiving world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I've often wondered if Liz Jones has Borderline Personality Disorder: http://www.stanford.edu/~corelli/borderline.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woppit wrote: »
    I've often wondered if Liz Jones has Borderline Personality Disorder: http://www.stanford.edu/~corelli/borderline.html

Think this sentence rather negates that premise:

"A person with this disorder can often be bright and intelligent, and appear warm, friendly and competent." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Point taken! However: "The person may show inappropriate and intense anger or rage with temper tantrums, constant brooding and resentment, feelings of deprivation, and a loss of control or fear of loss of control over angry feelings." ;)
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Woppit, I have to ask....are you by any chance a fan of Woppit, Tiptop and Mokey? :)

(Sorry to go off topic, but I've never met anyone else who remembers these characters--in fact most people reckon I dreamed them!) so I just wondered if you might be a fellow ex-Robin reader?

....If you haven't a clue what I'm on about, my apologies, and welcome to the thread! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Hi Woppit, I have to ask....are you by any chance a fan of Woppit, Tiptop and Mokey? :)

(Sorry to go off topic, but I've never met anyone else who remembers these characters--in fact most people reckon I dreamed them!) so I just wondered if you might be a fellow ex-Robin reader?

....If you haven't a clue what I'm on about, my apologies, and welcome to the thread! :)

Hello Cathrin and thank you for the welcome. I'm more of a Lettice Leefe fan ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which LJ's car breaks down....
    While I'm not not an expert in mechanics, when things go wrong I wouldn't vent my spleen on those " awful people" who dare to have kids....:D
    Well, if you had sat, as I did, watching families emerge from the horrible, brightly logoed, sickly sweet smelling interior of the service station, surely the biggest blot on Britain’s landscape, then you wouldn’t have thought these families had money worries, carrying as they were giant vats of fizzy drinks, elaborately packaged sandwiches, burgers and sweets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1320265/M4-breakdown-truly-drove-round-bend.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men who date waitresses -vs- neurotic journalists:
    Jude Law, Tiger Woods, George Clooney and Cristiano Ronaldo have all dated, for want of a better word, women who wait tables for a living. Ironically, Courteney [Cox's] old co-star, David Schwimmer, has just married a woman he met when she was working as a cocktail waitress.

Not that there is anything wrong with this profession, it is just that this intermingling of very different DNA is indicative of a wider social trend, of a malaise among men both famous and not so famous.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1320337/David-Arquette-Tiger-Woods-Jude-Law--A-list-men-say-waitress.html

Eugenics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woppit wrote: »
    Hello Cathrin and thank you for the welcome. I'm more of a Lettice Leefe fan ;)

:)

Yet again, she trots out her favourite theme: Why do men cheat on successful women [i.e. LJ] with "inferior" women [i.e. waitresses etc]?

The real question should be: Why do the DM keep paying her to write the same offensive opinions over and over again? This particular recurring theme is offensive to practically everyone: it's unfair on men because it lumps them all together in one big stereotype, and it's unfair to waitresses and other "ordinary" women because it talks about "marrying up and cheating down". Charming!

Also, does anyone else think the phrase used to Courtney Cox in the penultimate sentence is ill-judged and inappropriate?
  • Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is seven years older than he is, and had reportedly grown tired of acting ‘like his mother’; this is a role men will manipulate you into with their sheer hopelessness — ‘Where are my trainers?’ ‘What airport are we flying from?’ ‘Have you packed my Pokemon?’ — then resent you for. It’s a recipe for disaster.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1320337/David-Arquette-Tiger-Woods-Jude-Law--A-list-men-say-waitress.html#ixzz12QF0GQ6Z

Wasn't she at least 10 years older than her ex?
    She'll know all about acting 'mean mommy' as Miranda in SATC described it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which LJ's car breaks down....
    While I'm not not an expert in mechanics, when things go wrong I wouldn't vent my spleen on those " awful people" who dare to have kids....:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1320265/M4-breakdown-truly-drove-round-bend.html

That has to be the most muddled and all-over-the-place LJ rant I've ever read! It has absolutely no structure or central point; it just randomly swerves from one subject to the other. The thought progression seems to be:

(1) Moaning about car breaking down in motorway service station car park
    (2) Moaning about how long mechanics took to show up
    (3) Moaning about getting ticket
    (4) Moaning about how many people are on the motorway (even though she is one of them....why is it OK for her to be there but no-one else?)
    (5) Moaning about how many families with children are at service station, which leads on to moaning about how much they're spending on food and drink, which is apparently a sign that people today don't really have as many money worries as we all think.

None of these things seem to have any connection with each other...it's just an outpouring of general rantings all strung together as if they're somehow related!

And don't get me started on her opinion of ponytails, which are apparently a sign of women being narcissistic and infantile, with conceited ideas about their own bone structure. Might it not just be that the women in question just want a quick and easy way to keep their hair off their faces?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ticket thing doesn't make sense to me - don't they have to actually physically slap a ticket on your car ? Also, getting a ticket in a motorway car park ? Am I being seriously dim, or is she telling porkies again ?

Also, this: "a pony says to me: ‘I am so naturally gorgeous, my bone structure so unimpeachable, I don’t even need to try . . .’"

Actually, I can entirely understand why that would get her back up. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do say in some motorway car parks that the maximum stay is x minutes. However, this is usually made fairly clear and if you plan to stay longer it says to tell a manager.

Doesn't Liz have the AA or RAC?

And the article makes no sense. It starts in one place and becomes her usual rant about families - how dare they go out and enjoy themselves in their car - and the conclusion bears no relation to the rest of the article. Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xaulleo wrote: »
    They do say in some motorway car parks that the maximum stay is x minutes. However, this is usually made fairly clear and if you plan to stay longer it says to tell a manager.

Of course... and had La Jones deigned to tell the manager that her car had died and she was awaiting the breakdown truck, well, she'd have nothing to write about, would she.

But... still doesn't hold water, because if they managed to get her address from knowing her number plate, wouldn't the police have to be involved ? Or do the DVLC hand out home addresses to all and sundry ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Britain, whether corporate or personal, has become all about greed. All about scurrying around with as much booty in our arms as we can carry." says the woman who peppers her column with references to her latest designer buys and is currently in shedloads of debt. Hypocrite? Liz? Surely not.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that it could be remotely possible that anybody working as a waitress or behind a bar are doing that to earn some money whilst studying or applying for other jobs or because they enjoy meeting people - it simply has to be because they are socially inferior and/or educationally challenged and/or simply waiting for a passing male celebrity to come and take them away from all of that and make it better.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    But... still doesn't hold water, because if they managed to get her address from knowing her number plate, wouldn't the police have to be involved ? Or do the DVLC hand out home addresses to all and sundry ?

The DVLA will sell your details to anyone who wants them :mad:

But, as mentioned above, there are clear signs at Reading services (I stop there everytime I drive to Wales to visit family) saying that the maximim parking time is 2 hours or else you have to pay to park.

This is the norm for most motorway services
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    :)
    Yet again, she trots out her favourite theme: Why do men cheat on successful women [i.e. LJ] with "inferior" women [i.e. waitresses etc]?

The real question should be: Why do the DM keep paying her to write the same offensive opinions over and over again? This particular recurring theme is offensive to practically everyone: it's unfair on men because it lumps them all together in one big stereotype, and it's unfair to waitresses and other "ordinary" women because it talks about "marrying up and cheating down". Charming!

Also, does anyone else think the phrase used to Courtney Cox in the penultimate sentence is ill-judged and inappropriate?

What La Jones doesn't seem to have grasped is the fact that CC and DA have been seperated for a while and they had both been seeing other people :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CyanideCindyCyanideCindy Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    She seems to be desperate to keep the RS's id secret (today's You column) - looks like Jim Kerr might be a red herring then?
    (He does fit the description though)

Whoever he is, could any bloke be desperate enough to hang round waiting for her to ring? She's giving the impression that she's the one calling the shots in this 'relationship'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Yes, why SHOULD people be on the motorway on a SATURDAY...?

Doesn't everyone JUST do their driving (unless they're fleeing the inbred rabble from Exmoor who are revolting against the Illy incursion, like DM journos), on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon/monday early morning..

Perhaps someone should print off these threads, and send them to her. Or just do a long rant about how stupid, dumb, ridiculous and hypocritical her diatribes are.

And as for her comment on how everyone else is greedy, because the kids have the odd Coke.... Good thing we have such meagre living examples as La Jones.
This discussion has been closed.