the end of the daily show on more4 ?

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I'd say your best option is to give Sky a go and see if they'd fit it into Sky Atlantic

As a previous poster agreed when I first suggested it's a good fit for the leftie superiorism complex of the HBO viewer that Sky Atlantic will aim for

Go on, say 'liberal elite'. You know you want to.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame, but given the viewing figures it's understandable.

I'm a fan of the show and have it on series record but I probably actually watch less than 50% of the episodes. Ironically I don't think TDS works as a daily programme in the UK. The quality is diluted by the quantity and the US news references are often too obscure for us to understand. These issues are compounded by the problem of some issues become out-dated by the time the show airs in the UK and also the censorship needed due to the pre-watershed time.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These issues are compounded by the problem of some issues become out-dated by the time the show airs in the UK

The show airs (or aired..) 24 hours after it airs in the states so I can't really see how anything can become outdated.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say your best option is to give Sky a go and see if they'd fit it into Sky Atlantic

As a previous poster agreed when I first suggested it's a good fit for the leftie superiorism complex of the HBO viewer that Sky Atlantic will aim for
    lol the right wing News Corp, targetting the leftie HBO
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show airs (or aired..) 24 hours after it airs in the states so I can't really see how anything can become outdated.

That's like saying that it wouldn't matter if they aired the 10 o'Clock news 24 hours later :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    If you go to the Comedy Central website using Firefox and have the "modify headers" add-on you can still watch TDS plus Colbert and (last time I checked) every ever episode of South Park.

This is link has a walk-through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8rdpF1qZs
  • jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member

Less than that, it goes out at 11pm EST, 4am GMT, so really we're only 16½ hours behind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got the same response from facebook and they added after i asked twice they also said that another channel could air the daily version, so there is a tiny amount of hope that someone could pick it up.
    If you go to the Comedy Central website using Firefox and have the "modify headers" add-on you can still watch TDS plus Colbert and (last time I checked) every ever episode of South Park.

This is link has a walk-through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8rdpF1qZs

you can also use hotspot shield

but like a previous posted that its much easier to get behind than when its on your sky plus
    jamiec21 wrote: »
    Less than that, it goes out at 11pm EST, 4am GMT, so really we're only 16½ hours behind.

indeed, they did show it at the first opportunity (well without showing it at a time when no one would watch.)
    tbh i wouldnt mind if it was a week behind as long as someone picks it up.
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I understand the show's ratings in the US are fairly modest too, but in terms of influence it's pretty darn important. Look what the New York Daily News says about the effect of that 9/11 sequence in his last show:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/12/22/2010-12-22_obama_administration_turns_to_funnyman_jon_stewart_for_help_in_passing_911_zadro.html
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Noooooo! :eek: :mad:

aux barricades, mes braves! something must be done!!!
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Erithian wrote: »
    I understand the show's ratings in the US are fairly modest too, but in terms of influence it's pretty darn important. Look what the New York Daily News says about the effect of that 9/11 sequence in his last show:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/12/22/2010-12-22_obama_administration_turns_to_funnyman_jon_stewart_for_help_in_passing_911_zadro.html

The ratings are okay for basic cable but US ratings break down in more detail and TDS has always been strong with 17-30 year olds that the advertisers love to target.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I like the Daily Show and will miss it, it is pretty pathetic that CH4 don't have an equivalent show concerning British politics.

Importing another countries satirical political programme is pretty low-end stuff.
  • Stephen ColbertStephen Colbert Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    In terms of the Daily Show, its quality has nosedived of late and Stewart has suffered since the Democrats came into power

No. No, it hasn't. Try switching your brain from "off" to "on".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Gutted! my favourite show, why do this?
    Those of you saying it should be on Sky.......not anyone wants Sky tv or can if they do can afford it.
    We need to complain to channel 4.
    Forum Member
    laineylane wrote: »
    Gutted! my favourite show, why do this?
    Those of you saying it should be on Sky.......not anyone wants Sky tv or can if they do can afford it.
    We need to complain to channel 4.

I've sent a complaint, more of a rant, really :mad: not sure if it'll do any good, but I feel better for it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Although I like the Daily Show and will miss it, it is pretty pathetic that CH4 don't have an equivalent show concerning British politics.

Importing another countries satirical political programme is pretty low-end stuff.

There's actually a show starting in the new year with Jimmy Carr, Charlie Brooker, David Mitchell and someone else that does appear to be very similar to the Daily Show's format.

Won't be the same of course.

I've already emailed Comedy Central UK about picking it up, but I guess there's not much luck of a reply over christmas so i'll keep sending it until someone replies.

I think, personally, it's a waste of time complaining to channel 4 as they've proven to be very, very bloody minded in the past over dropped shows.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's actually a show starting in the new year with Jimmy Carr, Charlie Brooker, David Mitchell and someone else that does appear to be very similar to the Daily Show's format.

Won't be the same of course.
    I'd have preferred the return of Starkey's Last Word to More 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i guess if you think about it, if fans of the show desert the global edition in some form of protest then C4 will look at the ratings and think "See, we were justified in binning it .."
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    I doubt any other broadcaster will pick up The Daily Show whilst More4 is still showing The Global Edition. Pretty clever what they've done as it effectively blocks anybody else going for it. But then why show only part of something? I can only assume the asking price for the rights went up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I've sent a complaint to channel 4, they replied very quickly saying sorry I feel the way I do but I can watch the Global show and they would log my complaint. It would be good if more people complained to channel 4, just go to 'contact us' at the bottom of the website and the complaint/views highlighted part,
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erithian wrote: »

According to this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/nov/05/jon-stewart-ratings - he outrated the mainstream talk shows (on much bigger networks such as NBC). Doing pretty well I'd say.

Also, a piece on why TDS should be saved in Guardian's Comment is Free (few fans in the article's comments though! :( ) - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/25/jon-stewart-daily-show-dropped
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    The problem I guess is without The Daily Show what does More4 have going for it? I'd say not a lot, as 99% of the channel's content is made up of C4 repeats. Uninspiring. :(
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The problem I guess is without The Daily Show what does More4 have going for it? I'd say not a lot, as 99% of the channel's content is made up of C4 repeats. Uninspiring. :(

Pretty much nothing. To think back to the launch of 'Adult Entertainment' with More4 News, The Last Word, 30 Days (OK, it wasn't great but it was factual and exclusive), Snowmail, The West Wing, ER and, of course, The Daily Show. It's a million miles from what we have now. Shame.
    Forum Member
    laineylane wrote: »
    I've sent a complaint to channel 4, they replied very quickly saying sorry I feel the way I do but I can watch the Global show and they would log my complaint. It would be good if more people complained to channel 4, just go to 'contact us' at the bottom of the website and the complaint/views highlighted part,

yup, I got a similar reply to my message
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teacup333 wrote: »
    yup, I got a similar reply to my message

because it's most probably automated ..