Options

The future of STV after 2014 and new Scottish Channel?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
See here:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a288272/greg-dyke-backs-new-scottish-tv-channel.html

I hope ITV Scotland is launched by 2014 and maybe give up Freeview channel 6 in Scotland to move STV onto? I think STV should become a digital channel and get extra funding from BBC Scotland to give it appeal.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Lets hope that ITV 1 does get broadcast direct into Scotland in 2014. We Scottish viewers are fed-up with STV and their damn opt-out shit. If u cant afford to bring us the new drama from ITV then let ITV 1/HD broadcast them to us instead.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    NO. Anything related to Scotland on STV is low rated, and people are bypassing STV to watch ITV1 for their drama and entertainment shows.

News and weather is all we need, and that sits nicely on the services we already have.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See here:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a288272/greg-dyke-backs-new-scottish-tv-channel.html

I hope ITV Scotland is launched by 2014 and maybe give up Freeview channel 6 in Scotland to move STV onto? I think STV should become a digital channel and get extra funding from BBC Scotland to give it appeal.

I do not wish one penny of my licence fee to go to STV, if the SNP want to go on an ego trip with their own TV station then they should fund it themselves. STV claim their programme policies are successful so they should be able to afford it.
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This channel if it happens which is now unlikely as channel 6 has now got the go ahead in Scotland wont be able to take the channel 3 slot as it is for channel 3 license holders ITV, STV, UTV.Channel and their regions. This Scottish channel won't be a Channel 3 license holder it will be independent and have quite a low budget because of that. Greg Dyke said at a conference a while back that at 2014 ITV may give up their Channel 3 license to get their main ITV channel on freeview somehow by that time STV will already have dropped all ITVs programmes as they will no longer be entitled to them. Another independent channel in Scotland is a bad idea just now but could be a better option to wait untill after 2014 as to much is changing in broadcasting over the next few years and the economy and the broadcasting situation is in a mess just now. There's a lot of surprises in store within the next 2 years some good some really bad. I have said in past posts what they are and not brave enough to face the wrath a second time. The time just now is not right for any new channels to start up but a few years from now could be a different story completely. We should be concentrating on the terrestrial channels and trying to fix the mess their in rather than adding to the problem.

I am all for a new Channel for Scotland but now is not a good time when established channels all over the UK are facing problems and need fixing. The time is not right the media industry is changing so fast and many new developments are happing in the next few years as well as the financial problems now is not the right time for a new channel in Scotland especially if we want a good financed channel that can produce and buy good quality programming and not a cheap knock off of ITV or we might as well allow ITV1 on Freeview in Scotland.
    NO. Anything related to Scotland on STV is low rated, and people are bypassing STV to watch ITV1 for their drama and entertainment shows.

People bypassing STV that's a myth put about by ITV they don't mention the thousands in England and Wales that watched Taggart and Underbelly on STV. STV ratings and finances are better than they ever were under ITV. STV player, superior HD stronger online market none which could be achieved with ITV. The countless press releases and articles I have provided finace reports and articles before speak for themselves STV has a working business stratagy ITV does not they just spend and get further into debt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As long as we get ITV programmes on one channel and Scottish programmes on another, everyone will be happy. That way we can delete STV from our EPGs :-)
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    angustay wrote: »
    People bypassing STV that's a myth put about by ITV they don't mention the thousands in England and Wales that watched Taggart and Underbelly on STV. STV ratings and finances are better than they ever were under ITV. STV player, superior HD stronger online market none which could be achieved with ITV. The countless press releases and articles I have provided finace reports and articles before speak for themselves STV has a working business stratagy ITV does not they just spend and get further into debt.

I don't know about that. I know many people who use itv1 on Sky and Virgin to avoid STV and these people aren't technically minded.

I think most people would be happy with itv1 and local news and weather.

As for another Scottish channel, no thanks. It would be cheap and nasty and probably have heather and tartan spilling out it like so much scottish made programming has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    As for another Scottish channel, no thanks. It would be cheap and nasty and probably have heather and tartan spilling out it like so much scottish made programming has.

It was suggested it would show classic Still Game, Take The High Road, Wheel of Fortune and some other classics. Add some of STV's homegrown stuff maybe Taggart could be a half decent channel.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe-Blade wrote: »
    Lets hope that ITV 1 does get broadcast direct into Scotland in 2014. We Scottish viewers are fed-up with STV and their damn opt-out shit. If u cant afford to bring us the new drama from ITV then let ITV 1/HD broadcast them to us instead.

Not everyone in Scotland is fed up with STV. So dont know how you think they are.
    Yes a few maybe fed up with STV but not everyone as you say and as I have said before I dont want the full ITV1 channel up here and hope we dont get ITV1 Scotland.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Not everyone is Scotland is fed up with STV. So dont know how you think they are.
    Yes a few maybe fed up with STV but not everyone as you say and as I have said before I dont want the full ITV1 channel up here and hope we dont get ITV1 Scotland.

Darren

The problem is STV's programming strategy. If ITV give them channel 6 on DTT once everywhere is digital I don't see the issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I hope STV chooses to opt out of I'm a (Z-list) Celebrity...Get me out of here next year.

I could barely take Sunday night having to put up with X Factor AND I'm a Celeb.

There's little point having another Scottish channel. It would be better investing the money into BBC Scotland and STV so they can produce and sell their own content. Perhaps insist that it's not all Weegie based pish as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Not everyone in Scotland is fed up with STV. So dont know how you think they are.

Darren

I am fed up with Stv and the vast majority of my friends are. Currently enjoying live football on Itv1. Would have been nice if Stv could opt out of England games & have shown Scotland's friendly last night. Alas, that would involve Stv spending some money and showing viewers something that they want. Instead we miss out on live football and get a crappy film. Guess Stv's audience will be well down on Itv's tonight?
  • Options
    StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is STV's programming strategy. If ITV give them channel 6 on DTT once everywhere is digital I don't see the issue.

Why whould ITV tell STV to move to Channel 6? STV is a Channel 3 Licence holder and choose to retain their Channel 3 PSB commitments without complaining like a spoilt brat, something ITV Plc should hold their head in shame for.

If ITV Plc want to broadcast to Scotland after they drop their Channel 3 Licence they should obtain their own channel number and not tell another company who is perfectly entitled to be on Channel 3 to shove off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Why whould ITV tell STV to move to Channel 6? STV is a Channel 3 Licence holder and choose to retain their Channel 3 PSB commitments without complaining like a spoilt brat, something ITV Plc should hold their head in shame for.

If ITV Plc want to broadcast to Scotland after they drop their Channel 3 Licence they should obtain their own channel number and not tell another company who is perfectly entitled to be on Channel 3 to shove off.

In that case it would be:

BBC One Scotland
    BBC Two
    STV
    Channel 4
    Five
    ITV1

STV would be stripped off all ITV programming. Still I assume ITV1 Scotland could still perform well on Channel six. STV have resorted to buying programming like 'South Park' from Viacom before so maybe if that happened they will look towards the digital market?
  • Options
    fdpfdp Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    It would be cheap and nasty and probably have heather and tartan spilling out it like so much scottish made programming has.

Of course you're right DejaVoodoo. Far better that we celebrate lowlife trash from The Smoke in the form of Eastenders, alongside dimwitted D listers doing the rounds of daytime telly not to mention odious little convicted criminals flogging antiques etc on BBC1. That's what entertainment's all about.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »

as itv plc owns SDN (who operate multiplex A) it would have the option of using some of that space, when current contracts expire.

Current Television channels on multiplex A:
    8 - TeleG (Scotland only)
    10 - ITV3
    16 - QVC (limited airtime in Wales)
    17 - G.O.L.D.*
    20 - Channel One (limited airtime in Wales)
    23 - bid tv
    26 - Home*
    28 - E4 (Wales only)
    30 - Fiver
    31 - Five USA
    34 - ESPN UK*
    35 - ITV Preview 1
    38 - Quest
    43 - Gems TV
    72 - CITV (Not available in Wales)
    86 - S4C2 (Wales only)
    92 - ADULT Section
    93 - TVX / Red Hot TV
    98 - TMTV (Not available in Wales)
    189 - ADULT Section
    191 - Red Hot TV
    192 - Filth
    307 - Top Up TV Anytime 1
    309 - Top Up TV Anytime 3

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S4C_Digital_Networks
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Rather than change it to ITV Scotland, they should bring back Grampian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than change it to ITV Scotland, they should bring back Grampian.

That would be wishful thinking, even though I'd like to see Regional ITV make a return, but if that did happen we would have people on here complaining that Program X and Y is not in their ITV Region :rolleyes:

It would be like STV basing but on a national scale, but I guess some people forget or are too young to recall that opting out of programmes or entire series was very common in the old days. ITV was very Regional back in the 80's. The ITV Variations section of the TV Times back then did show that and each ITV Region has their own version of the guide as well given it was that different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    as itv plc owns SDN (who operate multiplex A) it would have the option of using some of that space, when current contracts expire.

Current Television channels on multiplex A:
    8 - TeleG (Scotland only)
    10 - ITV3
    16 - QVC (limited airtime in Wales)
    17 - G.O.L.D.*
    20 - Channel One (limited airtime in Wales)
    23 - bid tv
    26 - Home*
    28 - E4 (Wales only)
    30 - Fiver
    31 - Five USA
    34 - ESPN UK*
    35 - ITV Preview 1
    38 - Quest
    43 - Gems TV
    72 - CITV (Not available in Wales)
    86 - S4C2 (Wales only)
    92 - ADULT Section
    93 - TVX / Red Hot TV
    98 - TMTV (Not available in Wales)
    189 - ADULT Section
    191 - Red Hot TV
    192 - Filth
    307 - Top Up TV Anytime 1
    309 - Top Up TV Anytime 3

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S4C_Digital_Networks

As they have the SDN Mux, if they do give up on their Channel 3 Licence they should also give up their gifted space on the PBB Mux. Gven they would no longer be a PSB and give the space on the PSB Mux to someone else. Maybe Ofcom could re-advertise the Channel 3 Licence for England and Wales.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member

Darren
    I think maybe the truth is a little bit of both. There are a certain percentage of Scots who are perfectly happy with STV but don't watch much if any of ITV's network output and then there are probably an equal number who are just the opposite, they tune in to STV for the local news and weather but aside from that watch very little STV programming and prefer ITV's programmes. There are bound to be differences in taste wherever you go.
    So maybe the solution as others in this thread have said is for STV to broadcast as a seperate channel thus giving Scottish viewers choice 24 hrs a day between STV and a full schedule ITV1.
    That would be one solution. But asking STV to move to Channel 6 might be problematic if STV are quite happy to stay where they are and besides as angustay said, there are plans for a seperate local tv channel on CH6 anyway (with similar proposals for CH6 in the rest of the UK).
  • Options
    EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be useful would be for ITV 1 to be broadcast on freeview in Scotland for 6 months - and see what the split is of those who watch the ITV programmes v those who choose STV. That would at least give a genuine indication of how the majority feel about the different programme options, instead of just those with cable/sky or willing to watch online.

Personally I always check and watch ITV these days, even though I have to do so online, and almost never watch STV. If we can have both options permanently on freeview, ideal solution imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    charcope wrote: »
    I hope STV chooses to opt out of I'm a (Z-list) Celebrity...Get me out of here next year.

I could barely take Sunday night having to put up with X Factor AND I'm a Celeb.

How did you "have to put up with" it? Your remote not work?

ANyway, everyone at work is talking about how you can get ITV1 on satellite. There's nothing ITV are showing that I want to watch that STV aren't, but STV just annoys me that they think all Scottish people want to watch programmes about Scotland. And also, their watch to win thing makes me want to bomb my own home just to get back at my TV. SO I don't watch STV live, i just skip all their ads. I might not do that with ITV, it seems much more professional.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    fdp wrote: »
    Of course you're right DejaVoodoo. Far better that we celebrate lowlife trash from The Smoke in the form of Eastenders, alongside dimwitted D listers doing the rounds of daytime telly not to mention odious little convicted criminals flogging antiques etc on BBC1. That's what entertainment's all about.

BBC produce better programmes on the whole than STV. It wouldn't be hard given there budget. STV has no money so produces largely guff television.

Anyway I wasn't comparing BBC and STV, but there you go.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be an assumption that viewers want ITV 1 programmes instead of Anglo-centric series like downtown abbey!

ITV 1 show 'live' football - yes, from England or featuring English teams! Well watch ITV 1 then!

We have multi channel tv now...everything will be shown in all areas eventually! In the meantime, let's give STV the chance to do their own thing!

BTW BBC 1 HD shows London programmes:rolleyes:
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be an assumption that viewers want ITV 1 programmes instead of Anglo-centric series like downtown abbey!

That doesn't really make sense. Downton Abbey *is* an ITV1 programme. And, although I don't like it at all, what it represents culturally is far less destructive to the vision of Scottishness STV are trying to appeal to than, say, South Park is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny, I don't consider myself to be from a sheltered background, or a particularly rich or poor one, but I never hear people moaning about STV.

Perhaps they actually watch and enjoy some of the opt-outs, perhaps they have better things to be doing in life than whinging about a TV station trying to make money rather than sell itself down a river to their southern rival, but whenever I log on to DS its like another world. You'd think from the comments here that actually 90% of those in Scotland that can watch ITV1 instead do so and that everyone in Scotland is against STV. This seriously is not the case! Just incase anyone from England, Wales, NI or elsewhere was curious (or even cared!). Just bizarre.

On a side note, me and some friends particularly enjoyed a bit of new Taggart after The X Factor. And if anything annoyed me about the Downton Abbey situation, it was that the Radio Times was plugging it EVERY week that it was on, not even mentioning the replacements, when I have absolutely NO desire to watch it. I would never consider my opinion on DA to be the right one, but judging by some of the comments on here, a lot of you feel as though you are speaking on behalf of a repressed majority, which, I'm afraid, is total tripe!

Blether over.