the show has sadly dipped in quality

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    So far this series the episodes have a bad early 80s feel to then.

Short attention span stories with a not very scary monster

All wrapped in 20minutes with a very tea time kiddies feel

Compare these to the john sim master episodes of recent years and some of the donna episodes

"Compare these to ... some of the donna episodes!"

Now the problem her is that I thought Donna was the nadir of Dr Who.

We get this thread ever year.

personally, I ahve found all the Moffat episodes very good (aprt from the Rings one a few weeks ago.)
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    To quote the Doctor himself:

True but I dont recall him ever saying mock others that are just giving their point of view.

Just my opinion, carry on mocking anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but I dont recall him ever saying mock others that are just giving their point of view.

to be fair the OP hasn't come back to expand on his though... he encourages us to compare to Series 3 and 4 especially Donna and the Master...series 4 is my favourite ever but I need more info on what measure he'd like me to use for this qualitative assessment?
    Forum Member
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    to be fair the OP hasn't come back to expand on his though... he encourages us to compare to Series 3 and 4 especially Donna and the Master...series 4 is my favourite ever but I need more info on what measure he'd like me to use for this qualitative assessment?

Why should he? Since when do posters HAVE to explain themselves to the 'MY opinion' thread brigade?

Again if DUNDEEBOY had several threads on the go and many posts derailing existing threads then fair enough he would be a troll. He has ONE thread giving his opinion (an opinion I disagree with actually)

Look at the main Who forum page, you'd think it was swamped with Anti series 7 threads the way some people behave. So why the mocking when ONE posters give his opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should he? Since when do posters HAVE to explain themselves to the 'MY opinion' thread brigade?

Again if DUNDEEBOY had several thread and many posts derailing existing threads then fair enough. He has ONE thread.

Look at the main Who forum page, you'd think it was swamped with Anti series 7 threads..it isn't. so why the mocking when ONE posters give his opinion.

:eek:

I don't want him to have to explain himself to me... I want him to start a thread in which he engages... expanding on his original post. I don't want to trash his opinion. I really only just found a pun in the title and posted it in a spoof thread which was the right place to do it. I work with small children I need some humour in my life!
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I saw nothing nasty being written about DUNDEEBOY's post in the opinion thread. I would actually feel honoured if any of my opinions made it into that thread and in fact I frequently mock my own views in there too. I don't take such things as seriously as other posters seem to.

^^This.

The overwhelming majority of the posts in there are self-deprecating.

Okay, there are a few (myself included) who have spoofed others, but it's hardly malicious.

And it's certainly no clique.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    So far this series the episodes have a bad early 80s feel to then.

Short attention span stories with a not very scary monster

All wrapped in 20minutes with a very tea time kiddies feel

Compare these to the john sim master episodes of recent years and some of the donna episodes

Ooohhhh !! You're in trouble now !
    :p
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some people need to respect others opinions without seeing their comments as an attack on the show. I really don't get the "them and us" divide a negative opinion can cause, people who go overboard on the defensive should remember that we all watch the show as we enjoy it.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't agree. It's different from the RTD era but that was needed, given that RTD's stuff had gotten formulaic and it'll be different again when the next person takes over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I must admit it's all a bit boring. I can not really pay attention at all and I can still understand the story by the end. It's not exactly gripping lately and you're right, the monsters are blahhh. :(
  • MissSylviaMissSylvia Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Moboloco wrote: »
    I think some people need to respect others opinions without seeing their comments as an attack on the show. I really don't get the "them and us" divide a negative opinion can cause, people who go overboard on the defensive should remember that we all watch the show as we enjoy it.

I agree 100%

The attacks on people with negative opinions are appalling
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    MissSylvia wrote: »
    I agree 100%

The attacks on people with negative opinions are appalling

And what about the attacks on people with positive opinions?

Or don't they matter? :)
    Forum Member
    And what about the attacks on people with positive opinions?

Or don't they matter? :)

No one is attacking your positive opinion.

I have been patronised and mocked for my opinion of the show of late and i must say its incredibly unnerving and sad when I'm not allowed to discuss my thoughts without being shouted down

You have been particularly vicious in what youve said to people on here i have noted that
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Really Sylvia? I've been attacked by people IN PERSON for liking Rings of Akhaten :p
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Really Sylvia? I've been attacked by people IN PERSON for liking Rings of Akhaten :p

Probably because you started singing;)

(loved that ep too btw, but god almighty was that bit horrid)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A small regular group of posters having a little get together to look down their noses at posters, on an open forum, they do not agree with. So yes I find rather sly if truth be told.

Maybe all new threads should be OK'd by that thread first.
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I agree, there's a distinct whiff of elitism about that thread.
    I saw nothing nasty being written about DUNDEEBOY's post in the opinion thread. I would actually feel honoured if any of my opinions made it into that thread and in fact I frequently mock my own views in there too. I don't take such things as seriously as other posters seem to.

Again if DUNDEEBOY had several threads on the go and many posts derailing existing threads then fair enough he would be a troll. He has ONE thread giving his opinion (an opinion I disagree with actually)

Look at the main Who forum page, you'd think it was swamped with Anti series 7 threads the way some people behave. So why the mocking when ONE posters give his opinion.

The opinion thread is not elite, the posters there are not a brigade, we have fun gently mocking ourselves and the more extreme threads we get on here.

If anyone takes it badly, or personally then I suggest they are taking the whole forum too seriously.
    Forum Member
    No one is attacking your positive opinion.

I have been patronised and mocked for my opinion of the show of late and i must say its incredibly unnerving and sad when I'm not allowed to discuss my thoughts without being shouted down

You have been particularly vicious in what youve said to people on here i have noted that

And that in itself isn't an attack I guess? :)

If you've seen me being vicious then it is because people have been vicious with me and I figure that if posters can dish it out then they should be able to take it.

If you don't mind me saying so you are seeing things from a very one sided point of view. There are plenty of examples of people with positive opinions being attacked or called names just because they like the show. It works both ways...
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that a lot of the time, particularly with this thread, the main problem people with the attackers is that they state their opinion as fact, as if they are DEFINITELY right, which simply isn't true and that is often what is pointed out. I agree about the Opinion thread, I find it hilarious and would be honoured if one of my posts made it onto there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting that a lot of the time, particularly with this thread, the main problem people with the attackers is that they state their opinion as fact, as if they are DEFINITELY right, which simply isn't true and that is often what is pointed out. I agree about the Opinion thread, I find it hilarious and would be honoured if one of my posts made it onto there

Post a spoof of one of your own posts in there. That's what I do. ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Is it terribly bad form to say that I liked the episodes with the Master - Scissor sisters, Gollum Doc and all. Just as much as I like the Moffat produced stuff?

I just like this programme and I have no axe to grind or feathers that I want ruffled.

I am a citizen of the Universe, and a Gentleman to boot!
    Forum Member
    Sadly were not allowed an opinion these days because perfectly valid threads are hijacked, lured into confrontation with petty and personnel remarks and then the threads are closed for not being constructive.
    Forum Member
    Sadly were not allowed an opinion these days because perfectly valid threads are hijacked, lured into confrontation with petty and personnel remarks and then the threads are closed for not being constructive.

Welcome to the forums MissSylvia :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoundWall wrote: »
    Is it terribly bad form to say that I liked the episodes with the Master - Scissor sisters, Gollum Doc and all. Just as much as I like the Moffat produced stuff?

I just like this programme and I have no axe to grind or feathers that I want ruffled.

I am a citizen of the Universe, and a Gentleman to boot!

In that case I shall do nothing except shout "Hear hear" and clap politely...
    Forum Member
    The opinion thread is not elite, the posters there are not a brigade, we have fun gently mocking ourselves and the more extreme threads we get on here.

If anyone takes it badly, or personally then I suggest they are taking the whole forum too seriously.

It isn't about taking the forum too seriously Granny it's about allowing other FM's to post their views (detailed or not) without the need to mock their views in a different thread. Fine self mocking and being in on it, but not every poster that will post on DS is a die hard Who fan. DS isn't just a Who fanzine site it is an open forum, where at times everyday viewers of the show will make the odd post start the odd thread.

Now if it were the same poster/s making the 'It's crap' threads/ posts all the time day in day out then fine. Im all for trolls get everything that's coming to them in terms of mocking and the likes, but the 'My Opinion' thread is now almost mocking the views of anyone and everyone, so, forgive me, it does come across as the 'My Opinion' thread is taking it too seriously.

I just think it should be a level playing field until a poster/s begin making dicks of themselves by trolling, continually ignoring points made to them over several threads , starting threads time and time again just to say the same thing and all without expanding their viewpoint beyond 'It's crap' then mock away, these are trolls, can't stand them, I'll happily join in.

But Mocking FM's views for just starting a random thread or making a random post isn't cricket.

:)

Mahatma Camera
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't about taking the forum too seriously Granny it's about allowing other FM's to post their views (detailed or not) without the need to mock their views in a different thread. Fine self mocking and being in on it, but not every poster that will post on DS is a die hard Who fan. DS isn't just a Who fanzine site it is an open forum, where at times everyday viewers of the show will make the odd post start the odd thread.

Now if it were the same poster/s making the 'It's crap' threads/ posts all the time day in day out then fine. Im all for trolls get everything that's coming to them in terms of mocking and the likes, but the 'My Opinion' thread is now almost mocking the views of anyone and everyone, so, forgive me, it does come across as the 'My Opinion' thread is taking it too seriously.

I just think it should be a level playing field until a poster/s begin making dicks of themselves by trolling, continually ignoring points made to them over several threads , starting threads time and time again just to say the same thing and all without expanding their viewpoint beyond 'It's crap' then mock away, these are trolls, can't stand them, I'll happily join in.

But Mocking FM's views for just starting a random thread or making a random post isn't cricket.

:)

Mahatma Camera

I think you are saying that people who post on the Opinion thread are nasty and bullying.

I won't get all self pitying and whinge that I'm being got at, though.

In fact, I'll probably go on there and make a joke of it, if I can think of one.

As could every other FM if they wanted to.

Sorry, but I think that thread is funny, lets people let off steam when the forum gets too ridiculous, and provides an antidote for all the overseriousness that goes on elsewhere.