What antivirus ??

Hi all. Purchased this today http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-z580-15-6-laptop-metal-17056542-pdt.html
and i was wondering what antivirus to use. Its for my eldest daughter and dont really want to do the yearly subscription so, whats the best free one or one that just needs a one off cost?? many thanks.

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes with Windows 8, you don't need to put an antivirus on it as it already has some built in to windows.

Especially if your daughter only downloads software from the windows store.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are absolutely loads of 'what's the best antivirus' threads if you use the search function. It gets asked so frequently it's best to do a search.

There's this thread from 2 weeks ago:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1763743

Or this one from 4 weeks ago:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755594
  • gazzaboygazzaboy Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    It comes with Windows 8, you don't need to put an antivirus on it as it already has some built in to windows.

Especially if your daughter only downloads software from the windows store.

Really? I never knew that. Is this a new thing? Surely though it still needs something though? She probably will download all sorts of stuff as shes 16 and is quite competent on a pc.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gazzaboy wrote: »
    Really? I never knew that. Is this a new thing? Surely though it still needs something though? She probably will download all sorts of stuff as shes 16 and is quite competent on a pc.

Yes, integrating anti-virus into Windows Defender is new to Windows 8. Before it was just anti-spyware.

People who are half-competent downloading "all sorts" is the main cause of computer issues.

I have two suggestions: a) try convincing her not to, e.g. only getting software from known reputable places like the windows store or adobe.com; only getting media e.g. movies, music etc from reputable places like netflix.com, iTunes etc.

b) If you are going to go for an anti-virus, go to the windows store on the laptop (it's one of the tiles on the start screen), scroll along to the security section and you will find the windows 8 compatible security suites in there, my personal recommendation for a heavy duty suite is Kaspersky.

Do be aware that using "strong" security suites can have their own side-effects too.

Relying on what's integrated into Windows 8 and practising safe/paranoid computer use habits is my preferred way. No security software slowing down the PC and creating conflicts but no malware either.
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to - File Hippo - loads of free legal stuff there
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Avast

Free :)
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    Avast

Free :)

Trend HouseCall

No software download, no monthly updates. Just go online and run it when you choose. Virus scan should take no more than 5 minutes.

Also Free :)

By the way, viruses aren't a major problem these day...malware most certainly is. Don't forget to download Malwarebytes.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Trend HouseCall

No software download, no monthly updates. Just go online and run it when you choose. Virus scan should take no more than 5 minutes.

The whole point of anti-virus software is that it stops you getting viruses in the first place. Not to find out when you feel like it (or remember to check) that you've actually got one.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Panda cloud free. I've tried most of them and it's the best I've used:

http://acs.pandasoftware.com/cloud/PandaCloudAntivirus.exe
  • gazzaboygazzaboy Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    cool. will wait till i get the laptop fired up and see whats what. I really wouldnt trust her to not download stuff from other sites as i think most people would do that sometimes unknowingly. So if the Windows programme is good enough then might just leave it as. And a good malware progarmme.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my logic:

1. Microsoft = Sh*t - Therefore I wouldn't trust them to produce effective anti-virus software.
    2. You rarely get something for nothing - Whilst Avast, AVG, Panda etc. are all fine and dandy now, they are under no obligations to keep providing you with an up to date service let alone inform you when they do go bust etc.

I use Mcafee, but it's all down to personal preference really. I paid £20 for 3 users for 15 months. Not expensive, and at least I know that my machine is secure.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the microsoft one isn't the strongest one out there, it's there as a safety net in case users don't install any other security software in Win8 BUT combine it with paid 'PRO' version of malwarebytes and it could well be enough ... always a wise step to have a second malware scanner from a different source

whatever you do avoid mcafee & isp security software that's powered by it
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    Here is my logic:

1. Microsoft = Sh*t - Therefore I wouldn't trust them to produce effective anti-virus software.
    2. You rarely get something for nothing - Whilst Avast, AVG, Panda etc. are all fine and dandy now, they are under no obligations to keep providing you with an up to date service let alone inform you when they do go bust etc.

I use Mcafee, but it's all down to personal preference really. I paid £20 for 3 users for 15 months. Not expensive, and at least I know that my machine is secure.

AVG used to be good but now it's bloatware. Used to depend on but OUCH! not anymore :mad:

Mcafee along with Norton should also be avoided like the plague.

I use Comodo and Malwarebytes and am pleased with the results so far.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I use Comodo and Malwarebytes and am pleased with the results so far.
    that's my current security software solution as well ... 64bit comodo seems a bit more stable for me than some others
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eset Nod 32 for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MSE/Defender and MBAM for me.

AV is becoming deprecated these days.

I actually think I'm close to just running active AM and using software update tools. Most programs self-update nowadays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I'd posted that! Ha, too many tabs open - strangely with the same guff in them!
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use AntiVir :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panda Cloud Antivirus, It's fast, lightweight and free. It also never bothers you about updates and so forth.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Here is my logic:

and at least I know that my machine is secure.

Youre logic is flawed, its not secure.
    No PC is secure :D
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Panda Cloud Antivirus, It's fast, lightweight and free. It also never bothers you about updates and so forth.

Do you not have to be connected to the internet for this anti virus to work?

If I download a zip file thats infected but then for some reason lose connection and open the zip whilst offline, how protected would I be then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    Do you not have to be connected to the internet for this anti virus to work?

If I download a zip file thats infected but then for some reason lose connection and open the zip whilst offline, how protected would I be then?

I'm unsure tbh, I'm never in a situation where I am offline. I either use ADSL at home or MiFi when out.

The odds of getting a virus while offline must be quite low, I have never heard it happen to anyone.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    The odds of getting a virus while offline must be quite low, I have never heard it happen to anyone.
    The most common cause of virus infection in my experience has been through infected USB flash drives.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavy PC users in this house and we have had NO problems running MS Security Essentials. Bottom line is they are all much the same, one test says ABC is the best another test says DEF another GHI......pick one and make sure it is kept up to date, that is the really vital thing. Backing up your data means that at worse a virus attack is an inconvenience, worst case scenario you need to do a clean install of you OS, no big deal really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    The most common cause of virus infection in my experience has been through infected USB flash drives.

I have yet to see that, as although I don't really have random people giving me flash drives, purple who use an anti virus at there end too.

I would bet 99% of infections are via the internet, I have cleaned over 100 PC from viruses and they have all been internet infections, often from torrents.