Options

Impact Wrestling on Spike TV

Comments

• Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    seibu wrote: »
    Awesome, just got in and saw this on the TNA site.

This totally changes my view on things. Spike have no reason to offer TNA an extension if they don't ultimately want to keep them. If they wanted to drop them they'd just do it when the contract expires on September 25th.

So what's holding up the negotiations? It could actually be UTA advising TNA to hold out for better terms. It could be Spike wanting to pay less or have more creative control. It could even be Spike wanting to buy a stake. We'll find out I guess.

Really pleased :)

Also, didn't Meltzer say negotiations were over and No Surrender would be the last Impact on Spike? Just sayin'.

No, Meltzer has been saying in the Observer for several weeks that Spike were happy to allow TNA to stay on the network past their current deal in order to allow them to get a new deal. Whether that's with Spike or somewhere else is up for debate.

As it relates to UTA playing hardball, TNA has no leverage as they don't appear to have any other suitors. If Spike want a new deal, they can offer them whatever they want and TNA if they wish to stay in business probably will accept it.
    There are reports out that TNA have had their deal renewed because Spike are still looking to purchase a majority of the company and don't want to be in a position where IMPACT isn't airing.

Meltzer was asked about this recently. There's some talk that Spike are looking at getting out of the wrestling business. Impact and wrestling ad rates in general aren't good and Spike can save money by running Cops. Also Cops gets better ad rates.

I was reading that TNA are looking for a location to tape an Impact show in Japan after BFG.
  • Options
    seibuseibu Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    No, Meltzer has been saying in the Observer for several weeks that Spike were happy to allow TNA to stay on the network past their current deal in order to allow them to get a new deal. Whether that's with Spike or somewhere else is up for debate.

I don't subscribe to Meltzer's stuff myself, but his claim that No Surrender would be the last episode on Spike was repeated in all the usual forums eg.

http://wrestleconnect.forumotion.com/t484-final-episode-of-impact-wrestling-on-spike-to-air-on-9-24

Did he not say that then? Wrestling forums are full of nonsense!
    As it relates to UTA playing hardball, TNA has no leverage as they don't appear to have any other suitors. If Spike want a new deal, they can offer them whatever they want and TNA if they wish to stay in business probably will accept it.

Meltzer was asked about this recently. There's some talk that Spike are looking at getting out of the wrestling business. Impact and wrestling ad rates in general aren't good and Spike can save money by running Cops. Also Cops gets better ad rates.

Spike would not have agreed to the extension if they weren't interested in keeping TNA. Why would they? To be nice? They're a business.

With respect to why the deal is being held up, it could genuinely be TNA stalling. The nice thing is that we'll probably be able to figure out what was going on eventually, when the new deal (or not) is announced.
  • Options
    JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't subscribe to Meltzer's stuff myself, but his claim that No Surrender would be the last episode on Spike was repeated in all the usual forums eg.

http://wrestleconnect.forumotion.com/t484-final-episode-of-impact-wrestling-on-spike-to-air-on-9-24

Did he not say that then? Wrestling forums are full of nonsense!

You'll be surprised at the amount of stuff attributed to Meltzer (or Pwinsider or Torch) that is a lie or stuff completely taken out of context published on forums and cut-paste sites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JackFoley wrote: »
    You'll be surprised at the amount of stuff attributed to Meltzer (or Pwinsider or Torch) that is a lie or stuff completely taken out of context published on forums and cut-paste sites.

Fair enough then. If he didn't say that I retract!

You're not kidding about the lies on forums. Just recently there was a thread on a certain forum about JR tweeting that TNA was a "sh!t product" (his exclamation point). I thought that didn't sound like JR, and sure enough the tweets were reworded with that phrase added.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I was wrong, ratings were down to 825,000. I'm really shocked it was that low but I suppose it was done with a weeks notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spike would not have agreed to the extension if they weren't interested in keeping TNA. Why would they? To be nice? They're a business.

With respect to why the deal is being held up, it could genuinely be TNA stalling. The nice thing is that we'll probably be able to figure out what was going on eventually, when the new deal (or not) is announced.

Spike are replacing Impact with more episodes of Cops by the looks of it, so don't a new show to push. Also consider some of the things Spike have done for TNA over the years like money for shows, wrestlers contracts and additional tv timeslots, they haven't been terrible business partners for TNA.

Maybe TNA are stalling to see if they can get a better deal elsewhere, however if there's no other options, Spike have the leverage in any future negotiations.

I was wrong, ratings were down to 825,000. I'm really shocked it was that low but I suppose it was done with a weeks notice.

Yeah, it wasn't ideal with how last minute the change was. Give a month and see what the ratings are like then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spike are replacing Impact with more episodes of Cops by the looks of it, so don't a new show to push. Also consider some of the things Spike have done for TNA over the years like money for shows, wrestlers contracts and additional tv timeslots, they haven't been terrible business partners for TNA.

Maybe TNA are stalling to see if they can get a better deal elsewhere, however if there's no other options, Spike have the leverage in any future negotiations.

Yeah, it wasn't ideal with how last minute the change was. Give a month and see what the ratings are like then.

Yeah, i wouldn't read too much into it unless this trend continues for more weeks. If 3-4 weeks from now they're still doing 850.000 viewers or so, then they'll have a problem. Now it's just too soon, they barely promoted the switch the previous week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rumours abound that WGN maybe interested in TNA. They're a Chicago based network, that usually show Chicago sports, however they appear to be dropping them in January which would fit in with the TNA Spike extension.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WGN can be received by 73.9 million homes compared to Spikes 97.6 million. You'd be looking at a much lower audience, and a product that is presumably more like ROH in production terms.

Source for figures- http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/08/23/list-of-how-many-homes-each-cable-networks-is-in-cable-network-coverage-estimates-as-of-august-2013/199072/

Edit- Meltzer has said he wasn't talking about WGN when he said TNA has a place to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    WGN can be received by 73.9 million homes compared to Spikes 97.6 million. You'd be looking at a much lower audience, and a product that is presumably more like ROH in production terms.

Source for figures- http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/08/23/list-of-how-many-homes-each-cable-networks-is-in-cable-network-coverage-estimates-as-of-august-2013/199072/

Edit- Meltzer has said he wasn't talking about WGN when he said TNA has a place to go.

Yeah, I just saw that. I noticed Meltzer said that people within the TV industry have been of the opinion that Spike have wanted out of the wrestling business as far back as May.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    TNA's move to Wednesdays is a very good one as WWE have confirmed Smackdown is moving to back to Thursdays from October 2nd
  • Options
    rawmanrawman Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TNA's move to Wednesdays is a very good one as WWE have confirmed Smackdown is moving to back to Thursdays from October 2nd

Especially too with the NFL starting up again and going head to head with Thursday Night Football which is now broadcasting on CBS being a death sentence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rawman wrote: »
    Especially too with the NFL starting up again and going head to head with Thursday Night Football which is now broadcasting on CBS being a death sentence.

The Thursday night games aren't as much a problem for WWE as the fact Survivor Series is directly opposite Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants (the 2 biggest teams) methinks.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Velvet Sky & Bully Ray do take the Ice Bucket Challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgufhLhnZrc&feature=player_embedded

Funny as F*** :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched that earlier - very good. Love the "surprise" at the end :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From this weeks Observer regarding TV situation
    Spike and TNA have announced Impact will continue through the end of the year. The good news is that it’s not done when the contract expires (although we were told it wasn’t going to be done at the end of September from the start), but the bad news is there’s no announcement of a new deal. TNA is clearly not confident of anything past that point, because other than the U.K. tour, there is a freeze on almost all negotiations going on that have to do with the wrestling side of business. No new shows are being booked past that period and no new deals are being made. The way it was explained to us from the start was Spike would give TNA a reasonable amount of time to get a new deal, whether it was under Spike’s terms or with someone else. They had actually offered the same deal to ECW in 2000, but ECW didn’t take it because by that point Paul Heyman knew that no TV deal that he could keep a company going with was imminent once USA turned it down and Turner Broadcasting got out of wrestling.

There was a report that the Velocity channel was in talks with TNA about picking up Impact. What we can confirm is that there have been talks with Velocity and TNA, which started before any of the stories broke about Spike not renewing Impact. The only thing we know about now is that the belief is that talks aren’t dead, but as far as how serious or how close they are, this is the TV business and nothing is done until the deal is signed and announced. Based on reports out there from a variety of places, they are only offering in the range of one-fourth of what TNA was making with Spike (or between $3 million and $4 million, and UTA would be getting a cut of that since they are handling negotiations). We can’t confirm anything related to price past the point the number offered is far less than the company is getting on its current deal. Velocity is in between 48 and 52 million homes, or just over half of what Spike is in. It’s on DirecTV Ch. 281 and Dish Ch. 246, as part of the Discovery Channel family. It’s a male oriented station focusing on cars and sports and is carried on Cox, Comcast and Verizon cable stations. Even though it is aimed at men, it’s not even in the top 50 stations on cable with the adult male demo. It’s in less homes that Fox Sports Net was in when TNA had TV there for a few years.

They aren’t the only station being talked with but at one point a few weeks ago were the most serious. As far as today, there is complete uncertainty as to where talks stand. The company would have to cut back greatly if this ends up as their destination, and they’d really be closer to ROH level as far as they wouldn’t be able to afford hardly any big money contracts and there would be no chance for growth past that level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good news/bad news this week regarding the TNA ratings on Spike.

The good news is that they went up a bit from last week doing 929.000 viewers, still down from thursdays but, albeit slowly, the audience is coming to find them on wednesday night.

The bad news is that what preceeded them, Cops (what else), did 1.2 milllions.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The good news is that they went up a bit from last week doing 929.000 viewers, still down from thursdays but, albeit slowly, the audience is coming to find them on wednesday night.

The bad news is that what preceeded them, Cops (what else), did 1.2 milllions.

What having one of the Cops team killed by the police and they still only get 1.2m:o
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Velvet Sky & Bully Ray do take the Ice Bucket Challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgufhLhnZrc&feature=player_embedded

Funny as F*** :D

Hilarious that.

'Hottest girl in pro wrestling', its true dat :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks. That's actually better than I expected for the second week on Wednesday. I wonder if that's the peak or if they can get back over a million? I know traditionally Wednesday is not as hot a night for TV as Thursday.

Really enjoyed Impact on Challenge again last night. In particular the Lashley match and the Aries match. I'm gonna miss those guys when they're gone.

I fear the Roode / EY match is a bit predictable. Surely EY can't win, can he?

Loving Low Ki. Looking forward to more matches between him and Joe.

I wish they'd bring back American Psycho Sam Shaw. Where can this man-child character possibly go?
  • Options
    stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this special interview Dameon Nelson asks Vince Russo the tough questions including his release from TNA, WCW and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPnFkhJ2ICc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meltzer says the current main event of Bound For Glory is Great Muta & Yoshihiro Tajiri vs Great Sanada and James Storm.

They can't make any commitment with Lashley till after his MMA fight this Friday. Oh yeah and Dixie won't be able to attend as Bully Ray legitimately fractured her back in two places. Whoops.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meltzer says the current main event of Bound For Glory is Great Muta & Yoshihiro Tajiri vs Great Sanada and James Storm.

They can't make any commitment with Lashley till after his MMA fight this Friday.

For their Wrestlemania, that's a piss-poor main event. For their sake, I hope Lashley comes out of his MMA fight fit and healthy and they change it sharpish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For their Wrestlemania, that's a piss-poor main event. For their sake, I hope Lashley comes out of his MMA fight fit and healthy and they change it sharpish.

It probably doesn't matter, whatever the number of hardcore fans in the US willing to pay to watch a taped TNA show from Japan is, I doubt the main event is that important to them. Everywhere else it's just a tv show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably doesn't matter, whatever the number of hardcore fans in the US willing to pay to watch a taped TNA show from Japan is, I doubt the main event is that important to them. Everywhere else it's just a tv show.

And they're gonna spoil the ppv no matter what because they're taping until november before the end of this month, so it's basically a One Night Only.