The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid enough figure for BGT last night. Very consistent so far, but the lack of clash now for the second week hasn't seen any increase which is very odd I think considering how it rated in those 20 minute clashes. It doesn't make sense. TVUK did OK, but I thought it would have been over 10m with all the hype, the fact is the first live show and also because the weather is awful. Even the soaps have been low this week and they usually benefit from bad weather. TVUK faces some tough challenges in the next few weeks. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. And BGT finishes at 10.15pm next week? That's very late IMO. I think it will only be at about 9m next Saturday excluding +1.

I don't get why they're airing The Cube for an hour. They should've cut it down to 45 minutes (I'm sure they can edit the small talk in between challenges out) and have Britain's Got Talent at 8.30pm as per this week. If the FA Cup runs over (which they'll be hoping for) The Cube could be dropped for something like You've Been Framed to allow Britain's Got Talent to start on time.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimshaw wrote: »
    Because ITV put out shite on Tuesdays?
    Also your definition is boring isn't going to be shared by everyone...
    Fudd wrote: »
    ITV have no support on Tuesday nights outside Emmerdale, who's lead in is taken by EastEnders.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I find most ITV entertainment banal( though Lemonaid is a hoot), but some of their Tuesday factual is better than people realise.

This Tuesday at 9pm ITV1 shows the 2-hour documentary The Hunt For Bin Laden. Wouldn't be a shock if that dropped below 2m, but big up to ITV for putting something like that on in primetime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    This Tuesday at 9pm ITV1 shows the 2-hour documentary The Hunt For Bin Laden. Wouldn't be a shock if that dropped below 2m, but big up to ITV for putting something like that on in primetime.

It's interesting that they're dropping News at Ten to schedule this. Normally it's moved on Friday nights or over the weekend but not on a bog standard Tuesday.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    It's interesting that they're dropping News at Ten to schedule this. Normally it's moved on Friday nights or over the weekend but not on a bog standard Tuesday.
    Its gonna be the eve of the 1st anniversary of Bin Ladens death. Its made by the same people who made last years BAFTA nominated 9/11 documentary that got a BARB rating of 5.19m, which had News at Ten delayed too. The bin Laden documentary might not flop.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

Good, also the demos will be different to what ITV1 normally get on Tuesdays. I still think ITV should revive First Tuesday in the slot after News At Ten. For all these shows get lowish ratings, they do attract a large ABC1 and male audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Its gonna be the eve of the 1st anniversary of Bin Ladens death. Its made by the same people who made last years BAFTA nominated 9/11 documentary that got a BARB rating of 5.19m, which had News at Ten delayed too. The bin Laden documentary might not flop.

Yeah I don't really see it doing badly, but its length sounds 30 mins too long :/

I'd say 3/4 million. Which is decent for ITV tuesdays. And certainly decent for the 10pm hour,
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Ah yes. IIRC that provoked a few :eek: in this thread. That 5.19m was just for ITV1. According to BARB ITV1 HD and ITV1+1 both attracted 0.426m (although I'm not sure if those figures are quite correct. Bit of a coincidence that both services rate exactly the same.)

9/11, I see, was screened on a Thursday rather than flopzone Tuesday and I think 9/11 resonates with the public more than the killing of Bin Laden. But if the programme proves to be a Tuesday night ratings success for the channel then great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV3 is still my favourite ITV channel and I can watch this for hours.

On this note. ITV3 is one of those channels we all just sort of glace over. But its ratings are just fantastic for what it is.

Unfortunately they don't really 'launch' stuff so its not talked about much :p Still beats Sky Atlantic, eh? Lots of launches to talk about, no one to talk to them about ;)

Generally we do forget how strong ITV is outside ITV1
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Voice is ensuring BBC1 win Saturday nights recently, I didn't see either show last night - but glad TV is holding up, BGT deserves to drop more but the viewing public are like sheep at times and are hyped to watch programmes (TV included also.)

Does anyone expect BBC1 to lose a Saturday primetime in the near future?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    The Voice is ensuring BBC1 win Saturday nights recently, I didn't see either show last night - but glad TV is holding up, BGT deserves to drop more but the viewing public are like sheep at times and are hyped to watch programmes (TV included also.)

Does anyone expect BBC1 to lose a Saturday primetime in the near future?

Possibly Saturday week with Britain's Got Talent's final depending how much clashes with The Voice. Unless The Voice sees a real decline I can't see the FA Cup, Champions League final or the international friendly leading to an ITV1 win (but they should hold up respectably). They don't have any scheduled Euro 2012 matches on a Saturday, though they may claim one at the knockout stage. So it's distinctly possible that they won't win another Saturday night until The X Factor returns - and that'll depend on how the rest of their programming does on the night!
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good, also the demos will be different to what ITV1 normally get on Tuesdays. I still think ITV should revive First Tuesday in the slot after News At Ten. For all these shows get lowish ratings, they do attract a large ABC1 and male audience.

I doubt anyone remembers First Tuesday. The modern 'documentaries' branding that ITV are using is perfectly fine.

Come Wednesday morning, I'm sure a rating of 2m will be treat like a rating of 2m usually is, nobody will be factoring in demographics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimshaw wrote: »
    On this note. ITV3 is one of those channels we all just sort of glace over. But its ratings are just fantastic for what it is.

Unfortunately they don't really 'launch' stuff so its not talked about much :p Still beats Sky Atlantic, eh? Lots of launches to talk about, no one to talk to them about ;)

Generally we do forget how strong ITV is outside ITV1

ITV 3 is a quiet success and its demos are good. It now sometimes outperforms the more hip ITV2. Basically yes it is repeats and old films, with very little new content, but these are all classic ITV shows with some BBC hits included. The British Comedy Weekend was my highlight of the month.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Story of the night:
    * A night of two halves for Nine's first Sunday without The Voice;
    * And Dancing with the Stars fails to take full advantage of the lesser competition.

Seven
    18:00 Seven News: 1.50m
    18:30 Dancing with the Stars: 1.24m
    20:30 Bones: 1.06m
    21:30 Castle: 740k

Nine
    18:00 Nine News Sunday: 1.50m
    18:30 The Block: 1.56m
    19:40 60 Minutes: 1.35m
    20:40 The Mentalist: 701k
    21:40 Unforgettable: 454k

Ten
    18:30 The Biggest Loser: 860k
    19:30 Modern Family: 976k
    20:00 New Girl: 804k
    20:30 Touch: 651k

Without The Voice to propel Nine's fortunes, Seven regained the lead in the shares. But given how strongly Nine started the evening, they perhaps should have had another win of their own. It looks like a poor performance from The Mentalist vs Bones was costly, and likewise the imports that followed. Overall though these were much healthier figures than I was expecting from Nine, suggesting the network generally is in much better shape than it was this time last year. Dancing with the Stars didn't recover much on last week's low, with both The Block and 60 Minutes performing very well and keeping Nine's good run going.

Channel Shares
    Seven - 24.6%
    Nine - 22.4%
    Ten - 13.9%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone remembers First Tuesday. The modern 'documentaries' branding that ITV are using is perfectly fine.

Come Wednesday morning, I'm sure a rating of 2m will be treat like a rating of 2m usually is, nobody will be factoring in demographics.

Well at least ITV1 are brave enough to show a programme like this. I think Fincham's BBC background has something to do with this as I notice we now have a successor to The South Bank Show, Perspectives. Anything like this would have been unthinkable on ITV1 a few years ago, but fair play to them for trying.
    Some people think I'm a BBC fanboy on here, but I'm not as Auntie can produce some real stinkers in the ratings. If people want to know, I like ITV3, Channel 5, Dave, BBC Four, ITV4, Yesterdays, Vintage TV, Film 4 and Really the most. Auntie contributes about 25 pc of my viewing time.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with The Voice.....

Good LIVE show last night which i really enjoyed
    Im surpised im still watching the show because i thought i would have gotten bored of it by week 3.

However...Tonght's Results should be LIVE but i did enjoy it.
    I have to say i never rated Holly as a host (she's terrible on this Morning and was on DOI too) but i think she's done a brilliant job so far and seems to work better alongside Reggie than Phil
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Story of the night:
    * A night of two halves for Nine's first Sunday without The Voice;
    * And Dancing with the Stars fails to take full advantage of the lesser competition.

Seven
    18:00 Seven News: 1.50m
    18:30 Dancing with the Stars: 1.24m
    20:30 Bones: 1.06m
    21:30 Castle: 740k

Nine
    18:00 Nine News Sunday: 1.50m
    18:30 The Block: 1.56m
    19:40 60 Minutes: 1.35m
    20:40 The Mentalist: 701k
    21:40 Unforgettable: 454k

Ten
    18:30 The Biggest Loser: 860k
    19:30 Modern Family: 976k
    20:00 New Girl: 804k
    20:30 Touch: 651k

Without The Voice to propel Nine's fortunes, Seven regained the lead in the shares. But given how strongly Nine started the evening, they perhaps should have had another win of their own. It looks like a poor performance from The Mentalist vs Bones was costly, and likewise the imports that followed. Overall though these were much healthier figures than I was expecting from Nine, suggesting the network generally is in much better shape than it was this time last year. Dancing with the Stars didn't recover much on last week's low, with both The Block and 60 Minutes performing very well and keeping Nine's good run going.

Channel Shares
    Seven - 24.6%
    Nine - 22.4%
    Ten - 13.9%

I'm not entirely certain why, possibly due to the AFL adeliade derby, but Dancing with the stars didn't start until 7.30 where I am, don't know if that impacts the figures or not, but the AFL match going into the edge of primetime might explain the larger share for seven.

The Block did exceptionally well, its highest rating since its return I think, and without Sunday Night on Seven, 60 minutes also posted a larger than normal rating, though the Mentalist did poor a ever, it really begs the question why Tricky Business did not take the 8.30 slot last night, though for now at least Nine seems to have stopped advertising it.

Super Sunday far from super for Ten, and Modern Family will likely be its highest rating show this week. Next Sunday can't come soon enough for them. Presumably Modern Family/New Girl/Touch will all move back an hour for one week only, which may be in the best interests of Ten considering Touch isn't doing much in that 8.30 slot
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree - I think David Walliams is holding the show together at the moment. If they had someone like Louis Walsh in Simon Cowell's seat it'd still be doing just as well.

I think Walliams is the star of it at the moment although I disagree about Walsh - him and Walliams would be a bit much. They need a "straight man" (no jokes, please! :D ) for Walliams to work with.
    ronant wrote: »
    There's good ways of making money - making quality tv which can be sold on and advertisers want to pay for slots. That's the way they used to do it.

And there's bad ways - coercing the poor into spending hard earned money on 'competitions' and highly expensive voting lines. And loading every programme with so many of these money grabbing opportunities that the programmes themselves become virtually unwatchable.

After 10 years of doing it, I'm fairly sure that the phone line stuff hasn't made ITV's talent series unwatchable for most. IIRC, voting on X Factor is still 35p and BGT is 50p (with 10 to charity).

It's up to people to decide whether or not to vote or play. Just as it is with the lottery. And as far as I'm aware, they're open to anyone voting, not just the poor.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syco/Thames/ITV PR at work it seems...

SIMON COWELL's JOY AS BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT WINS TOP RATINGS (DAILY STAR)

BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT IN THE DRIVING SEATS AS THE VOICE RATINGS SLUMP (THE SUN)

I could have sworn that last week The Sun declared Cowell to be a "Telly turn-off"... this week they've managed to get the word "slump" into a headline for The Voice! :D How things can change in a week!

Neither The Daily Mail nor The Mirror have reported this weeks ratings yet but I'm sure we can expect their articles on BGT's success shortly after we all go ice skating in hell. ;)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither John Williams or Sam Hodges are reporting ratings on Twitter from last night, meaning either:

a) ratings are delayed
    b) there is not much to report from last night

I suspect a is more likely.
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Neither John Williams or Sam Hodges are reporting ratings on Twitter from last night, meaning either:

a) ratings are delayed
    b) there is not much to report from last night

I suspect a is more likely.
    Ratings data is very much available. Maybe John and Sam don't like what they see.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice UK averaged 8.6m
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratings data is very much available. Maybe John and Sam don't like what they see.

Looks like you're absolutely correct Dan...
    rzt wrote: »

...ouch. The downward trajectory appears to be continuing. Next weekend will be interesting...
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Second lowest overnight to date? Yikes.

Just confirms that a pre-recorded results show was a bad move for this show.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second lowest overnight to date? Yikes.

Just confirms that a pre-recorded results show was a bad move for this show.

And how many viewers would have even known it was prerecorded, let alone put off by the fact ? Didn't seem to put off SCD viewers.
  • soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVUK's 5 min peak was at 1950- 9.0m 35%

Built from 8.0m 34% at the start

source: BARB/BDS
This discussion has been closed.