Options

PAYG or Pay Monthly - O2,Tesco or Virgin

NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm currently with O2 on PAYG Text and Talk and pay £3 a month for 100MB of data. I top up £15 every 2 months and am thinking that I could get more for my money by moving to another provider. I fired up a map app on Friday and it downloaded 30 MB in about 20 minutes which is nearly a third of my monthly data allowance.

I have looked at O2 Pay and Go Go Go. As an O2 customer I can start on this package for £10 / month
150 mins : 1000 texts : 500MB data

If I joined Tesco Mobile (which uses the O2 network) I could get one of these pay monthly deals:
£10 a month - 250 minutes : 5000 texts : 500MB data
£12.50 a month - 750 minutes : 5000 texts : 2GB data

Or maybe Virgin and join their Essential Tariff:
30-day contract - 1200 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data for £12 a month

Virgin also have a Starter Tariff:
30-day contract 250 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data £10 a month

I have been happy with the O2 service but having looked at some of these other deal feel I am paying too much. £3 for 100MB of data seems quite high.

I like Priority Moments on O2 but could always pick up a PAYG SIM just for that.

Any thoughts ? I like the 30 day contracts as I am not tied in for a year.

Comments

• Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Virgin uses EE for 3G data, which works well pretty well everywhere nowadays. I had a 30 day rolling contract with them for quite a while and was very happy.
  • Options
    Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them, look at giffgaff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trouble with giffgaff is that you're still stuck with O2 data (GPRS anyone?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 54 wrote: »
    None of them, look at giffgaff.

I looked at GiffGaff but read reports of network downtime and also their non-existent customer service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I'd say your best bet is the £12.50 package from Tesco.
    Night Hawk wrote: »
    Trouble with giffgaff is that you're still stuck with O2 data (GPRS anyone?)
    People on here constantly slag O2's 3G, when the only places I haven't had 3G are in rural areas plus the user has already said "I have been happy with the O2 service" so they can't be having any signal problems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kierankay wrote: »
    I'd say your best bet is the £12.50 package from Tesco.

People on here constantly slag O2's 3G, when the only places I haven't had 3G are in rural areas plus the user has already said "I have been happy with the O2 service" so they can't be having any signal problems

I'm speaking from experience. I moved from O2 to Virgin when my contract ended. Now I am on Three. Only on O2 did my phone often fall back to GPRS data at pitiful speeds. Virgin offers access to EEs superior 3G network at bargain basement prices.
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night Hawk wrote: »
    I'm speaking from experience. I moved from O2 to Virgin when my contract ended. Now I am on Three. Only on O2 did my phone often fall back to GPRS data at pitiful speeds. Virgin offers access to EEs superior 3G network at bargain basement prices.

100% agree.

If we didn't have smartphones, O2 would be the best network, by far. But, since we've on from the 90s, O2 just isn't good and it never will be.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we didn't have voice calls, EE would be the best network, by far. But, since some of us still like to talk, EE just isn't good and it never will be.
  • Options
    petefpetef Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    http://www.paygdeal.co.uk has a pretty good comparison of monthly deals available (PAYG plus bundles).

My own site http://petef.22web.org/payg.html is more comprehensive for PAYG but does not cover bundles or contracts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    If we didn't have voice calls, EE would be the best network, by far. But, since some of us still like to talk, EE just isn't good and it never will be.

Yeah, probably true :D.

I mostly just text and use data these days, but I choose Tesco Mobile (although this may change shortly) just because I always get a signal so I can be contacted in an emergency.
  • Options
    lozzauk85lozzauk85 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be best to put your usage? For low use 321 on Three is fairly unbeatable. There's also Ovivo which is free, less a one off cost for the SIM.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I've got a Virgin VIP SIM only on a monthly rolling contract. You get unlimited calls, text and data for only £15. I find this great value for money and have peace of mind that I can't go over any limits.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I've got a Virgin VIP SIM only on a monthly rolling contract. You get unlimited calls, text and data for only £15. I find this great value for money and have peace of mind that I can't go over any limits.

The ironic thing being that there are limits... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozzauk85 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be best to put your usage? For low use 321 on Three is fairly unbeatable. There's also Ovivo which is free, less a one off cost for the SIM.

The 321 price plan looks alright.
    3p a minute, 2p a text and 1p a MB of data

My typical useage might be:
    60 minutes of calls a month = £1.80
    50 texts a month = £1
    500 MB of data a month = £5

which is just under £8. And the credit balance isn't removed after 30 days.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you didn't specify how much usage you wanted. Three could be better value, all 30 day rolling

£12.90 gets you 200 minutes, 5000 texts, unlimited data or 600 minutes, 5000 texts and 1GB of data.

£9.90 gives you 200 minutes, 5000 texts, 500MB data

or pay as you go with three

£10 gives you 100 minutes, 3000 texts and 500MB data

£15 gives you 300 minutes, 3000 texts, unlimited data
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The ironic thing being that there are limits... :p

It's weird as some people say there are limits where as others haven't experienced being limited. I'm a fairly low user so I can't really tell. I could probably get away with some of the limited ones for a bit less but for an extra couple of quid I don't want the hassle of checking how much I've got left all the time. I just like knowing that I'm paying an affordable set amount each month and that I don't ever have to worry about how much I'm using.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's weird as some people say there are limits where as others haven't experienced being limited. I'm a fairly low user so I can't really tell. I could probably get away with some of the limited ones for a bit less but for an extra couple of quid I don't want the hassle of checking how much I've got left all the time. I just like knowing that I'm paying an affordable set amount each month and that I don't ever have to worry about how much I'm using.

jabbamk1 is absolutely correct that Virgin does indeed have a fair usage policy that restricts data to 3.5Gb per month. After this, access is not blocked but your speed is restricted so it's entirely possible that some users don't notice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 is absolutely correct that Virgin does indeed have a fair usage policy that restricts data to 3.5Gb per month. After this, access is not blocked but your speed is restricted so it's entirely possible that some users don't notice.

I think most of us are aware of the fair use policy, but the point Miss C. is making is that some people have gone well over 3.5GB and have found that their speed has not been limited.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    . I just like knowing that I'm paying an affordable set amount each month and that I don't ever have to worry about how much I'm using.

I do agree with this. Virgin's offer is great and offers pretty much everything for a low price.

My point was more of a joke just saying that there are limits (not that the majority would hit it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    I think most of us are aware of the fair use policy, but the point Miss C. is making is that some people have gone well over 3.5GB and have found that their speed has not been limited.

Indeed. Someone on the Virgin Media Forum used 10GBs twice in a row I think and didn't get capped.

Customer Services constantly say that their is no limit for mobile use; people are only limited if they tether.

Could just be a scare-tactic to reduce their network costs (costs to EE) and/or reduce congestion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This looks interesting. I have another Virgin PAYG phone and I've read that by ringing them on 789 you can get a discount on this £15 as an existing customer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    This looks interesting. I have another Virgin PAYG phone and I've read that by ringing them on 789 you can get a discount on this £15 as an existing customer.

I didn't know that as I was a Virgin PAYG customer for 12 years! Got to say that the service was great as I used my original SIM in the new smartphone I'd bought and they changed me over to the 30 day rolling contract whilst I was on the phone to them. Didn't charge me for what I'd used after my previous payment either (I was on PAYG on a direct debit).