Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a Maestro card?

It's a top trumps card, of the hatchback version of the Austin Montego. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    Obviously the penguin marriage didn't have an impact on everyone else!

Maestro was a male penguin from Europe who fell in love with female UK penguin Switch. They got married, and took Mr Maestros name as he was the man!

I loved that ad. If Switch is the sister of Solo, I'm guessing that Solo is a slightly begrudging sister that lives alone while her sister spends time with her new and excting European husband and gets accepted into lavish events thrown by his parents Mastercard.

Most prepaid cards are Maestro so I think they're starting to appear in more and more places.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote: »
    Maestro is a debit card.

In general, Maestro (along with 'rival' Visa Debit) is given to those whose banks believe they are reasonably credit worthy, since not all of the transactions have to be electronically authorised 'online' and there is, if you are not careful with your money, for it to take you into your overdraft when the companies come to debit their amounts, since the money is not always 'set aside' from your available balance (since it is quicker and probably saves on telecoms costs).

Historically, Solo and Visa's Electron card have ALWAYS required 'online' electronic authorisation so that the balance is checked to ensure that there is enough money in the account to enable the transaction to take place and that the amount is 'earmarked' from the available balance.

I don't believe that is true anymore.

There was a change which allowed Maestro to be allways authorised, hence the rise of the prepaid maestro card in the last year and a half.