Google Press Event - 24/7/13 (5PM UK Time)

123457»

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Oooo! Send me one haha!! :D

Furthest im going is Kefalonia in September :(

Unfortunately it is work, not holiday.

If I address it Stiggles, Dundee. Do you think it would get there.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup!

I found it while browsing on XDA earlier:-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2378276
    Good find, Stiggles! Playing through Chrome is a bit of a kludgey way of playing local files, but better than nothing if it makes it possible. It will be interesting to see if the CC can be eventually be tricked into picking up a VLC stream or XBMC stream - then it will be perfect. Or, almost perfect, because...
    I wonder if it's possible to stream/mirror content from a phone
    Yeah, I kind of feel that after the noise made about Miracast when Jelly Bean (or 4.2, I forget) was released, they have kind of missed a trick here that the CC doesn't have Miracast support. That would have made it perfect. That also would have made it twice the price, though, I guess...
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is work, not holiday.

If I address it Stiggles, Dundee. Do you think it would get there.

Haha! :D

Never know!
    Forum Member
    Good find, Stiggles! Playing through Chrome is a bit of a kludgey way of playing local files, but better than nothing if it makes it possible. It will be interesting to see if the CC can be eventually be tricked into picking up a VLC stream or XBMC stream - then it will be perfect. Or, almost perfect, because...Yeah, I kind of feel that after the noise made about Miracast when Jelly Bean (or 4.2, I forget) was released, they have kind of missed a trick here that the CC doesn't have Miracast support. That would have made it perfect. That also would have made it twice the price, though, I guess...

Yeah its not the ideal way i guess. But, I think it will be hacked within a month or so and a custom firmware out soon after.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like kidspud, I'm also in the States next month, so in the event that (a) there is still no UK supply of the device and (b) there is a USA supply (seems to be selling exceptionally well over there - Nexus 4 syndrome all over again), I'll definitely be trying to pick one up. At that price, there really isn't anything to lose...
    Forum Member
    Like kidspud, I'm also in the States next month, so in the event that (a) there is still no UK supply of the device and (b) there is a USA supply (seems to be selling exceptionally well over there - Nexus 4 syndrome all over again), I'll definitely be trying to pick one up. At that price, there really isn't anything to lose...

Gah!

Wish i booked a holiday for the states now haha!

I have a feeling the UK wont see them for a while yet :mad:
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2406

That is the forum that sprung up. There a good bit of stuff that already works with it.
    Google certainly chose to undersell it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ! Not this again!!
    Oh yes....

as resolution had continued with that S4 Mini rip-off thread I came across another Wiki on density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

Then I mildly wondered what inspired the entry/kicked it all off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_displays_by_pixel_density&oldid=166825298

Geek amusement on a Job well done.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy to pay for one plus a couple of beers if anyone going state side is willing to pick one up :-)
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I thought my 1400x900 Nook would be fine but why read half a page of a document when you could clearly see a full page?

These are media consumption devices. For some it will never in a million years be 'good enough' to only consume/read one third of a page. That is how it will often be, in the comparison of 1920x1200 to 1024X768.

It is the very same on the iPhone you know. Not having a default browser setting for 'desktop browsing mode' ensures you default to the low resolution friendly mobile web site.
    To some, mobile web sites are again, simply not good enough.

But at the expense of tiny text which is difficult to read if you are a marginal reading glass person like me.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google certainly chose to undersell it.

Like what things?

Things that weren't in the announcement on Wednesday?
    Forum Member
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't disable signature checks by accident, seemed to me like Google did it on purpose, they never have been ones to lock a device down.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And it appears to be a rehash of google tv, not Chrome as first claimed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It ain't Google TV either being too cut down. They are all close cousins so they went with Chrome bing the interface for what looks quite beta. The screen mirroring makes it look conveniently useful.

And on that £10 Roku based NowTV it seems you can run the XBMC like Plex.

Is this a new battle for control of our web media content/TV?
    Forum Member
    It ain't Google TV either being too cut down. They are all close cousins so they went with Chrome bing the interface for what looks quite beta. The screen mirroring makes it look conveniently useful.

And on that £10 Roku based NowTV it seems you can run the XBMC like Plex.

Is this a new battle for control of our web media content/TV?

Yeah, i just bought the Now TV box for a tenner earlier just to have a fart about.

Problem is, sky have disabled the disable auto updates so it could be fixed very soon if sky decide.