Options

Top 10 Greatest ever snooker players

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the period before Davis many professionals had quit due to the severe lack of money in the game.

When Davis was learning for fun he would not have known it would become such a big money game.
    Whereas for Hendry there would have been motivational pound signs from a very early age.

And yes, all hypothetical. In every sport 'the greatest' can only ever be hypothetical.
  • Options
    scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    Here is my list based on who I've actually seen play rather than read or heard about.

In no particular order:

Stephen Hendry
    Steve Davis
    Ronnie O'Sulllivan
    Alex Higgins
    John Higgins
    Terry Griffiths
    Mark Williams
    Peter Ebdon *
    John Parrott **
    Jimmy White

*The fact that Peter Ebdon is colour blind he has done very well as a snooker player.

** Parrott has won nine ranking events, two of them more than once.

He is 7th behind Hendry, Steve Davis, O'Sullivan, John Higgins, Williams and Jimmy White.

Source: Wikipedia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But how about the greatest ever performance ? Must be Alec 'Iggins (as whatisname used to call him) in the 1982 semi-final of the World Championship, 14-15 down to Jimmy White, the clearance. But poor Alec dissipated his talent with booze and **** and generally being a bit of a nutter. Nowadays he would have been diagnosed as manic-depressive and got medication, so he would not have to drink or smoke so much to keep his barminess under control and just have let his talent shine.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scorer wrote: »
    Here is my list based on who I've actually seen play rather than read or heard about.

In no particular order:

Stephen Hendry
    Steve Davis
    Ronnie O'Sulllivan
    Alex Higgins
    John Higgins
    Terry Griffiths
    Mark Williams
    Peter Ebdon *
    John Parrott **
    Jimmy White

*The fact that Peter Ebdon is colour blind he has done very well as a snooker player.

He is 7th behind Hendry, Steve Davis, O'Sullivan, John Higgins, Williams and Jimmy White.

I never knew Peter Ebdon was colour blind, well you live and learn. Glad you mentioned John Parrott there Scorer, he is one of my all time favourites. I thought he was under rated. His style and action is grace personified.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to join in, but I really don't have the expertise and knowledge to be able to post anything constructive. I only really know about the World Championships, and not that much about that really. I'm not great at remembering facts.

What was the opposition like in Steve Davis's heyday, as opposed to Stephen Hendry's? I stopped watching snooker for a while in the early to mid 90s, and I think I missed a lot of the Hendry years. I get the impression that his record was maintained with more depth and talent in his opposition that Steve Davis had to face, but I'll happily admit that I could be totally wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    Based on what I have seen (so no Fred or Joe Davis)
    1. Hendry
    2. O'Sullivan
    3.Davis
    4. Alex Higgins
    5. Ray Reardon
    6. Jimmy White
    7. John Parrott
    8. Mark Williams
    9. Terry Griffiths
    10. Ken Doherty
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Stephen Hendry
    2. Steve Davis
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    4. Alec Higgins
    5. John Higgins
    6. Jimmy White
    7. Ray Reardon
    8. MarkWilliams
    9. Cliff Thorburn
    10. Silvino Fransisco
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never knew Peter Ebdon was colour blind, well you live and learn. Glad you mentioned John Parrott there Scorer, he is one of my all time favourites. I thought he was under rated. His style and action is grace personified.

I never knew either. But during this WC Peter actually asked the ref if the ball over the pocket was the brown or not. Clive Everton filled in the gaps explaining that Peter was infact colour blind.
  • Options
    Formula1MadFormula1Mad Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    1. Stephen Hendry
    2. Steve Davis
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    4. Alec Higgins
    5. John Higgins
    6. Jimmy White
    7. Ray Reardon
    8. MarkWilliams
    9. Cliff Thorburn
    10. Silvino Fransisco

I'd have a bet on Silvino getting beat 5 frames to 1 anyday of the week. He'll supply copious amounts of coke too, which comes in handy when you're thirsty :eek:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Must be Alec 'Iggins (as whatisname used to call him)

John Spencer ?.........'iggins on the yeller..........:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    John Spencer ?.........'iggins on the yeller..........:D

Hehehe! That's the guy. The much missed John Spencer, triple world snooker champion. Here's a web page that includes a video tribute for anybody who would like to take a look (video can only be accessed by UK internet users)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/5171212.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehehe! That's the guy. The much missed John Spencer, triple world snooker champion. Here's a web page that includes a video tribute for anybody who would like to take a look (video can only be accessed by UK internet users)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/5171212.stm

I won an autographed copy of John Spencer's autobiography a few years back. I decided to sell it on Ebay. The winning bid came from a Spencer's snooker club in Lancashire. I emailed and asked if he was related, he said yes "John's my uncle but he is so tight he won't give me a free copy".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I want to join in, but I really don't have the expertise and knowledge to be able to post anything constructive. I only really know about the World Championships, and not that much about that really. I'm not great at remembering facts.

What was the opposition like in Steve Davis's heyday, as opposed to Stephen Hendry's? I stopped watching snooker for a while in the early to mid 90s, and I think I missed a lot of the Hendry years. I get the impression that his record was maintained with more depth and talent in his opposition that Steve Davis had to face, but I'll happily admit that I could be totally wrong.

To be honest with you i think both Davis & Hendry had good opposition, so its hard to say realy. They both had more opposition than the great Joe Davis i'm sure. As for which is the greater player, well who knows. No matter how hard i try i just can't decide.
  • Options
    mighty thormighty thor Posts: 8,058
    Forum Member
    1. Perry Manns
    2. Eddie Charlton
    3. Kirk Stevens
    4. Manny Francisco
    5. Geoff Foulds
    6. John Virgo
    7. Big Bill Whatisname
    8. David Taylor
    9. Doug Mountjoy
    10. Tony Meo (As we all know, has got loads of dapper suits)
  • Options
    mighty thormighty thor Posts: 8,058
    Forum Member
    Scoring on talent - I would put it:

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    2. Steven Hendry
    3. Steve Davis
    4. Alex Higgins
    5. Ray Reardon
    6. Jimmy White
    7. John Spencer
    8. Cliff Thorburn
    9. Terry Griffiths
    10. Doug Mountjoy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's a topical one for you.

Something I was thinking myself at home. Who is the greatest ever snooker player ? Well here is my top 10. Not based on personal favourites but oustanding achievements and contributions to the game. One other thing to take into account is the different era's players played. I am not saying that number 9 wouldnt beat number 3 for instance, because you can only beat what is put in front of you and snooker times and advances change.

1. Stephen Hendry - 7 times world champion and won more titles than any other plus made more century breaks than any other.

2. Steve Davis - 6 times world champ and the man who made snooker what it is today. Revolutionised the game in the 1980's and was simply untouchable.

3. Joe Davis - did in the 1930s and 40's what Steve Davis did in the 1980s. Multi World Champion ( 15 times ) amd could do things with a snooker ball that others had only dreamt of in that era.

4. Ray Reardon - Boy, could he control the cue ball. Another 6 time world champ and possibly the biggest crowd favourite of his time. Affable, creative and a superb potter.

5. Ronnie O'Sullivan - For me, the best player in the world right now. Never mind what his ranking is, he is the one player others fear. Genius, multi skilled and a real enigma.

6. Fred Davis - Like his older brother Joe, helped bring the game to the masses. May not have had his brother's talent but his longevity gets him in my list. Made the World semis at the age of 64 and won the World Billiard crown at the age of 67.

7. John Spencer - was always my favourite player when I first started watching the game. His cue power and potting ability made him ahead of his time. 3 time world champion and the first Crucible winner.

8. Alex Higgins - So much talent, so much ability, so much wasted. Could be much higher up the list had his demons not overtaken his natural skill.

9. Jimmy White - The only non world champion on my list, but a man with so much under achieved talent. 6 times runner up, 5 in a row, you don't do that unless you can play. Arguably the most popular player ever, with both fans and players alike.

10. John Pulman - Was the main man during the 1960's. 8 times world champion and another whose career certainly lasted longer than anticipated.

I know some will argue and disgaree but that's the beauty of opinion isnt it ?

Notable mentions for John Higgins, Mark Williams, Walter Donaldson and Horace Lindrum.

Pienso que Stephen Hendry es los mundos más grandes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [quote
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what is the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallorca wrote: »
    what is the problem.

with what ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    with what ?

Sorry Darren, My computer is going crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's a topical one for you.

Something I was thinking myself at home. Who is the greatest ever snooker player ? Well here is my top 10. Not based on personal favourites but oustanding achievements and contributions to the game. One other thing to take into account is the different era's players played. I am not saying that number 9 wouldnt beat number 3 for instance, because you can only beat what is put in front of you and snooker times and advances change.

1. Stephen Hendry - 7 times world champion and won more titles than any other plus made more century breaks than any other.

2. Steve Davis - 6 times world champ and the man who made snooker what it is today. Revolutionised the game in the 1980's and was simply untouchable.

3. Joe Davis - did in the 1930s and 40's what Steve Davis did in the 1980s. Multi World Champion ( 15 times ) amd could do things with a snooker ball that others had only dreamt of in that era.

4. Ray Reardon - Boy, could he control the cue ball. Another 6 time world champ and possibly the biggest crowd favourite of his time. Affable, creative and a superb potter.

5. Ronnie O'Sullivan - For me, the best player in the world right now. Never mind what his ranking is, he is the one player others fear. Genius, multi skilled and a real enigma.

6. Fred Davis - Like his older brother Joe, helped bring the game to the masses. May not have had his brother's talent but his longevity gets him in my list. Made the World semis at the age of 64 and won the World Billiard crown at the age of 67.

7. John Spencer - was always my favourite player when I first started watching the game. His cue power and potting ability made him ahead of his time. 3 time world champion and the first Crucible winner.

8. Alex Higgins - So much talent, so much ability, so much wasted. Could be much higher up the list had his demons not overtaken his natural skill.

9. Jimmy White - The only non world champion on my list, but a man with so much under achieved talent. 6 times runner up, 5 in a row, you don't do that unless you can play. Arguably the most popular player ever, with both fans and players alike.

10. John Pulman - Was the main man during the 1960's. 8 times world champion and another whose career certainly lasted longer than anticipated.

I know some will argue and disgaree but that's the beauty of opinion isnt it ?

Notable mentions for John Higgins, Mark Williams, Walter Donaldson and Horace Lindrum.

Did you see the game between Joe Swail & Liang Wenbo at this years WC. Although there was some good snooker played the big talking point was the replaced white ball after the foul by Wenbo. I would like to know your opinion on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see the game between Joe Swail & Liang Wenbo at this years WC. Although there was some good snooker played the big talking point was the replaced white ball after the foul by Wenbo. I would like to know your opinion on this.

For what its worth, my opinion on the matter is that the referee replaced the ball where he thought it originally was. He asked BOTH players if they agreed and BOTH players nodded their heads, agreeing that the white ball was ok in that position. If Swail wasn't happy where the white was positioned then he needed to have said it at that point. He didn't, he nodded his head in agreement. End of story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For what its worth, my opinion on the matter is that the referee replaced the ball where he thought it originally was. He asked BOTH players if they agreed and BOTH players nodded their heads, agreeing that the white ball was ok in that position. If Swail wasn't happy where the white was positioned then he needed to have said it at that point. He didn't, he nodded his head in agreement. End of story.

I think the referee should have taken a good look in the first place. It is quite clear that Wenbo could see more of the yellow ball the second time around otherwise he would have played the same shot.
  • Options
    Nellie1000Nellie1000 Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scorer wrote: »

In no particular order:

Stephen Hendry
    Steve Davis
    Ronnie O'Sulllivan
    Alex Higgins
    John Higgins
    Terry Griffiths
    Mark Williams
    Peter Ebdon *
    John Parrott **
    Jimmy White

How about Mark Williams he's colour blind as well.
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the referee should have taken a good look in the first place. It is quite clear that Wenbo could see more of the yellow ball the second time around otherwise he would have played the same shot.

This was done to death in the WC snooker thread, why is it being discussed here two weeks on?

Anyway virtually everyone thought Swail had noone to blame but himself. In the referee's own mind he probably felt he had the balls accurately positioned and there was no objection from Swail.

There's no evidence whatsover that Wenbo couldn't have gone for the yellow in the first instance but in the event simply decided to change his shot.