CS: Rita and Dennis!

CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm really loving the relationship between Rita and Dennis!

Friday's episodes were amazing. You could see the absolute pain Rita felt when she didn't hear Dennis say, "I love you". You could see the ultimate cowardice come out of Dennis when he dodged the issue - and he didn't even need to say anything for Rita to see his lack of confidence about the whole thing. It's stuff like this that makes Corrie absolutely brilliant - pure character-driven stories with characters we can feel emotion for.

Personally, I think Dennis is growing to love Rita, just as she is growing to love him - he's just too afraid to admit it yet because, as Philip Lowrie himself says, Dennis is a bit of a coward.

And, despite what other forum members may think, I think it would be wonderful for the two of them to, eventually, realise they both love each other - and decide to get married. That would be so brilliant. Rita deserves to see the rest of her years out with a husband after years of solitude in the Kabin flat, and there is something particularly special about this relationship - something she never had with Len or Ted or any of her other romances. A marriage should definitely go ahead between Rita and Dennis! But it shouldn't be a Ted Sullivan situation where the husband dies or moves away after a few months - they should be a fixed married couple for a long time. And maybe we could see Dennis build his confidence with Rita on his arm, and he'd become less of a sponge.

The fact that Rita Sullivan would become Rita Tanner is only a bonus! :D

Barbara Knox and Philip Lowrie are both amazing actors. I really cannot wait for more scenes between these two. :)

Anyone else...?

Comments

• TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree, but what I still can't get my head round is the age thing. Weren't Rita and Elsie Tanner the same age, so isn't Rita old enough to be his Mum?

I think he's just a gigolo type, a chameleon who can be whatever you want him to be in exchange for being a kept man. Expect that's what he's done all his life, but likes his freedom and runs for the hills when he feels the net closing in.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    I tend to agree, but what I still can't get my head round is the age thing. Weren't Rita and Elsie Tanner the same age, so isn't Rita old enough to be his Mum?

I think he's just a gigolo type, a chameleon who can be whatever you want him to be in exchange for being a kept man. Expect that's what he's done all his life, but likes his freedom and runs for the hills when he feels the net closing in.

No, she was a friend of Dennis and in real life there is only a ten year age gap
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Elsie was about 10 years older than Rita and Dennis is 10 years younger than Rita.

I know in at least one episode, I think from around 1978(?) Elsie says to Rita "... you should know, we're about the same age" to which Rita replies something like "Are we Hell as like!"
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found the episode on YouTube, just for the nostalgia lovers on here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poP34GUmn8s&feature=player_detailpage#t=952s
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Elsie would have been in her late 80's, Dennis is 69. Rita will be 80 next birthday, would love to see her happy , but I fear she may get her heart broken again.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    No, she was a friend of Dennis and in real life there is only a ten year age gap

Actually in real life there is only 3 years betweeen them, he is 75, she is 78.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually in real life there is only 3 years betweeen them, he is 75, she is 78.

Sorry I meant the characters ages actually :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    By 'eck , Dennis looks good for a 75 year old. Could someone tell me the background to him. I know he was in Corrie years ago , but I don't get the homeless thing. Did he have a sister , and what happened to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    By 'eck , Dennis looks good for a 75 year old. Could someone tell me the background to him. I know he was in Corrie years ago , but I don't get the homeless thing. Did he have a sister , and what happened to her.

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Linda_Cheveski
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's been explained why he ended up as a homeless person, he doesn't seem the type to have let himself get into that state. He had an older sister who was married with kids, she was married to a Polish guy, Ivan somebody or other, not sure what happened to them.
  • NELLIENASHNELLIENASH Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think Dennis is good enough good enough for Rita. He is an absolute user. He happily takes off people and gives nothing in return. He doesn't even try to re-pay people's kindness - if I'm wrong give me examples.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the episode on YouTube, just for the nostalgia lovers on here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poP34GUmn8s&feature=player_detailpage#t=952s

Just watched this and a couple of other episodes, and couldn't help but notice that Rita is listed in the end credits as played by Barbara Mullaney! When did she become Barabara Knox does anyone know? I always thought she was Knox, never knew her as anything else!
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    Rita was the star of the week for me! I loved her emotional scene that she hid from Dennis.

Barbara Knox can do hurt like no other.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too am loving Rita and Dennis, I hope he comes to show her love, it's obvious she adores him.
    The scenes the other night made me get a lump[ in my throat, poor Rita.
    She is obviously very lonely but her feelings for Dennis are quite clear to me. I also think she was relieved to realize that the woman from his past was just that, the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Just watched this and a couple of other episodes, and couldn't help but notice that Rita is listed in the end credits as played by Barbara Mullaney! When did she become Barabara Knox does anyone know? I always thought she was Knox, never knew her as anything else!

She was married to Denis Mullaney upto 1977(?) then she married John Knox.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she should run a mile - I don't know how she can afford him anyway :eek: Her husband's must have been well insured:)
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was married to Denis Mullaney upto 1977(?) then she married John Knox.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, he's in great shape for 75.

Looks a good ten years younger than that.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    As I said in another thread, at their time of life age doesn't seem as much of an issue.

The reason Dennis was on the streets was explained this week, he was engaged to Norma and she provided for them. When he left her he had nowhere else to go hence why he was living on the streets.

It was made clear that what Norma wanted was a bit of company, Rita is after the same thing.
  • Carly287Carly287 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Blimey, he's in great shape for 75.

Looks a good ten years younger than that.

I thought that! Is it wrong that I think hes good looking?!:o
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rita seems to be mothering Dennis even more than she mothers Sally!

The producers missed a treat by not having a double wedding of Dennis & Rita and Sophie & Sian.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    As I said in another thread, at their time of life age doesn't seem as much of an issue.

The reason Dennis was on the streets was explained this week, he was engaged to Norma and she provided for them. When he left her he had nowhere else to go hence why he was living on the streets.

It was made clear that what Norma wanted was a bit of company, Rita is after the same thing.

Yes, but you do not normally end up on the streets just because you left a relationship, even if the other person is providing for you. He seems a respectable individual who would be easily able to find accomodation. The coucil will re-house those over 65 in any case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Yes, but you do not normally end up on the streets just because you left a relationship, even if the other person is providing for you. He seems a respectable individual who would be easily able to find accomodation. The coucil will re-house those over 65 in any case.

He was on the street out of shame and guilt. He didn't want anyone to find him because he didn't want to face them. So, him having a home could have been tracked down by the police etc.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member

I think it was a case that he was ashamed of what he did so did not want to be found so went to live on the streets. I don't think they will elaborate any further on this.
  • Carly287Carly287 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Just wondering, how truthful are wikipedia spoilers? As they sound very interesting for Rita and Dennis! Can't say them as I still can't work the spoilers!:D:o