Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BritTV wrote: »
    @dcdmfan clearly you have never been on the website free to try, 600+ new shows a day and £10. For the record i am not seeking your approval, they are my site rules, they are fair. If people are not happy they simply steer clear. As for standard US practice, welcome to the World Wide Web! I run a wonderful service that takes a tonne of work and money to run, many people are just delighted to pay 33 pence a day!

Remember why I am here, people wanting to watch a show i provide and pay to bring, without paying me.

For the record, I found the link on a forum talking about the show. I clicked on the link and it played for me - no problem. I didn't even realize that this was a paid site until I went to my PC and tried to watch it there later. I still don't understand how ITV says that they don't have the international rights to allow anyone outside the UK to watch their vids and other pay sites do. It seems that if the pay sites are legally providing the service that they would have to pay a HUGE amount of money for each show that they stream. That hardly seems feasible or affordable even with the fees that are collected. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Well, finally, DCI Helen Morton did come to my PBS station. I am sorry to say I was not impressed. I loved the story but found her character confused and confusing. The portrayal was wooden. I did note her difference in accect and diction. Since the character was only created for the TV series there is no way to go back to the books to flesh out her character.

DM does give the actors a good range to showcase their talents.

Morton has clearly been away from working, and has been pretty much tossed into the deep end, dealing with everyone and everything. Very hard edged but clearly she has a soul. At the very end she called her hubby and asked him to stay awake for her. More to her character than shown on the screen. We liked the show, other than the too obvious medical slipups. Looking forward to the next show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Morton has clearly been away from working, and has been pretty much tossed into the deep end, dealing with everyone and everything. Very hard edged but clearly she has a soul. At the very end she called her hubby and asked him to stay awake for her. More to her character than shown on the screen. We liked the show, other than the too obvious medical slipups. Looking forward to the next show!

I am looking forward to seeing her character throughout this season. DCI Banks himself is an interesting character and the potential exists for CC to show a wider range of talent there.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had fun on eBay during my recent two weeks off! If these weren't miniatures, I'd be approaching BP to supply props. I just enjoy the visual joke. The last visual joke like this was done by one of my college students who, when we are studying Christo's earth art, welcomed everyone to class by planting a meandering trail of paper cocktail umbrellas in the grass toward our door. :)

How cool was that! What fun: Christo and the medium of cocktail umbrellas!

The visual jokes in DM were what I was missing so much of when I first started watching, due to my overzealous crocheting and embroidery projects. I did finally figure out to watch it hands-free!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Dang! I missed it this week. Hope to be able to catch it this week but I will have to clear room on my DVR to get the replay in the middle of the night. The Office is an hour this week, and that is my show so I can't miss it :D
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although BritTV probably found us as cc.cookie suggested, by Googling on their name, it led me to wonder how often our posts are read by people who never, or almost never, post.

This Part now has 3530 "replies" and there have been about 186000 views of those replies, or entries. That works out to, on average, about 52 views per entry.

Considering that there are about 8-10 of us posting pretty regularly and another 5-10 posting occasionally, it seems to me like the ratio of "listeners" to posters is probably about 2 to 1.

Does that seem right? there must be some factor(s) that I am overlooking, as that seems to be a fairly large ratio..

(If you click on the name of a post-er, you get a box that asks if you want to see other posts by that person. When you click on that option, these numbers are on the right side of each entry or reply.)

Perhaps some of our silent listeners will chime in occasionally. Fresh points of view always welcome!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Dang! I missed it this week. Hope to be able to catch it this week but I will have to clear room on my DVR to get the replay in the middle of the night. The Office is an hour this week, and that is my show so I can't miss it :D

Shop Girl, I found the episode I missed on-line, at a PBS site( I think it was PBS Oregon). I also don't want to miss the one-hour Office. Isn't it the finale? Pam and Jim aren't nearly as compelling as Martin and Louisa, but still....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Shop Girl, I found the episode I missed on-line, at a PBS site( I think it was PBS Oregon). I also don't want to miss the one-hour Office. Isn't it the finale? Pam and Jim aren't nearly as compelling as Martin and Louisa, but still....

Thanks New Park, I'll check it out. I have been a huge The Office fan since the beginning and love Pam and Jim as much as Martin and Louisa. I think because there are so many episodes out there that we don't break their relationship down as much as we do with Martin and Louisa.

This isn't the finale yet, that will be in May. There is a fan site out there for the show that I think is one of the best fan sites I have ever seen. And it is all run by one woman. She has, over the years, developed a relationship with the people who run the show and has had several set visits where she was able to bring back pictures and tidbits about how the show is put together. Anyone who is a fan and wants to check it out:

Officetally.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh wow NewPark. I found it on the PBS Oregon site. In fact they have all of S1 available to watch as well as S2E1. Now I won't have to worry about catching the episode this week. I think I will catch up the rest of S1 first. Very cool. I'll have to see what else they have streaming. Great site! And free! :D:D:D
  • lost-the-plotlost-the-plot Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    @dcdmfan clearly you have never been on the website free to try, 600+ new shows a day and £10. For the record i am not seeking your approval, they are my site rules, they are fair. If people are not happy they simply steer clear. As for standard US practice, welcome to the World Wide Web! I run a wonderful service that takes a tonne of work and money to run, many people are just delighted to pay 33 pence a day!

Remember why I am here, people wanting to watch a show i provide and pay to bring, without paying me.

Hello all. Stepping in from the shadows...I posted some during Series 5 but have been mostly a lurker due to time constraints and nothing really interesting to contribute....:cool:

But, may I ask BritTV as I saw your post last night and it raised my hackles, why when I click on your name, are you listed as a 16-year-old male? Are you a serious representation of said company and...just having a laugh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow NewPark. I found it on the PBS Oregon site. In fact they have all of S1 available to watch as well as S2E1. Now I won't have to worry about catching the episode this week. I think I will catch up the rest of S1 first. Very cool. I'll have to see what else they have streaming. Great site! And free! :D:D:D

Yay OPB! I wonder if you can only watch in the US.:D Hopefully not - it would be nice for everyone to have access and free as it should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Stepping in from the shadows...I posted some during Series 5 but have been mostly a lurker due to time constraints and nothing really interesting to contribute....:cool:

But, may I ask BritTV as I saw your post last night and it raised my hackles, why when I click on your name, are you listed as a 16-year-old male? Are you a serious representation of said company and...just having a laugh?

Hi lost-the-plot! Great screen name!

I, too, have questions and concerns regarding BritTV's response. An Internet presence of a professional business, like any business, puts its best foot forward, even down to how you spell, properly capitalize, and compose a professional message. I see some serious lack and it makes me think that a 16 year old UK male (maybe a cover) may be a bit of a hacker or slacker or pirate, rather than a legitimate enterprise.

Research time again. Computer-speak time. Sorry, if you don't understand all the terms but here's what I found. I used my domain name knowledge (whois.com) to look up the registry data for the BritTV.co.uk domain name and found a person's name and an address:
    25 St. Mary's Road, Ealing, London, W5 5RE, United Kingdom

I looked up the address and Google lists it as West London YMCA and a restaurant. http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&q=25+St.+mary%27s+road++ealing+london&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48760df3258ecaad:0x579d85f615abb1a9,25+St+Mary%27s+Rd,+London+Borough+of+Ealing,+London+W5,+UK&gl=us&sa=X&ei=hVUYUbSHEYqIiAL6xIHABg&ved=0CDMQ8gEwAA

I also found some information re: a site's value at http://digsitevalue.net/s/brittv.co.uk#whois that gives some more info regarding several factors about the site.

While I want to have more access to British TV to some degree, I have some real suspicions as to the integrity of this site. I'll leave it there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I, too, have questions and concerns regarding BritTV's response. An Internet presence of a professional business, like any business, puts its best foot forward, even down to how you spell, properly capitalize, and compose a professional message. I see some serious lack and it makes me think that a 16 year old UK male (maybe a cover) may be a bit of a hacker or slacker or pirate, rather than a legitimate enterprise.

Research time again. Computer-speak time. Sorry, if you don't understand all the terms but here's what I found. I used my domain name knowledge (whois.com) to look up the registry data for the BritTV.co.uk domain name and found a person's name and an address:

I looked up the address and Google lists it as West London YMCA and a restaurant. http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&q=25+St.+mary%27s+road++ealing+london&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48760df3258ecaad:0x579d85f615abb1a9,25+St+Mary%27s+Rd,+London+Borough+of+Ealing,+London+W5,+UK&gl=us&sa=X&ei=hVUYUbSHEYqIiAL6xIHABg&ved=0CDMQ8gEwAA

I also found some information re: a site's value at http://digsitevalue.net/s/brittv.co.uk#whois that gives some more info regarding several factors about the site.

While I want to have more access to British TV to some degree, I have some real suspicions as to the integrity of this site. I'll leave it there.

The link (whois.com) is wrong above. It should be http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love your little Buddha collection. I recently looked on amazon to see if they had one similar to DM's golden Buddha. Looked through pages and pages of different ones but never found one that looked anything like his.

No, it's very distinct. The closest I've seen are a few of the Thai Buddhas.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biff and I rewatched "Uneasy Lies the Head" tonight, S4E2.

We believe that it's pretty obvious LG started off the whole problem we see throughout S4:

1. We know she came back unexpectedly, pregnant, and just surprised DM. DM handled it as well as any man would. His comment about the abortion was not actually him asking her if she would do it for him, but just mentioning that if she had wanted to--as they weren't a couple--it was too late. Typical medical DM. But LG immediately took offense. One wonders what the heck she was expecting from him showing up like!
    2. Their problematic conversation in the school was sad. DM attempted to open things up, but neither he nor LG can hold a conversation without getting off tangent into unhealthy emotional issues. But, DM had gone there to school, after talking with AJ; he was trying.
    3. I think the biggest implication for LG starting off as the main player of their problems is when AJ is taking her to the hospital and DM offers to do so and she simply shuts him down. From that moment on, DM has every right to believe she honestly does not want him in her life, at all, or in the life of their baby.
    4. We also see how much he cares for her when he yells at the headmaster on the beach after the headmaster pushes LG. He keeps checking on her over and over before he runs after Mr. Strain. LG meanwhile, at the school, can't even openly and sincerely thank him for his help. Yet, then we are supposed to have some sympathy for her as she watches him conversing with Edith.

After that episode, I don't have much sympathy at all, I have to say.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Busted!!! Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member

When I was revving up for Series 5 I weighed several options for watching DM from the UK. I finally settled on BritTV..what a joke...the site crashed a couple of days after I signed up and was out of service for what seemed like forever...I finally gave up and I kissed my money goodbye. I downloaded ExpatShield and had no trouble whatsoever viewing DM. A word to the wise is sufficient...as my mother used to say.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This guy's channel features his obvious obsession with nipples. :eek::oHis latest vid is a scene with MC in MBB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe7mu5v1IjY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random thoughts:

1. When Jimmy was acting out at Bert's restaurant, I thought Penhale was great when he gently said "There's something wrong with you Jimmy." Sometimes he seems to be Portwenn's version of the wise fool.

2. I have never been able to figure out what Pauline says in the scene in the question where she is interrogating DM about Louisa's appearance in the village. He says that she never intended to stay with him, etc., and Pauline has her back toward him at the sink and mutters something, to which he barks: "I am not." Does she say "heartless"? "unkind"? ????

3. Not quite sure how I feel about the subplot of "bi" Jimmy. (And by the way, why doesn't DM have a computer in his office and always have to use Pauline's?) It really wasn't played entirely or even mostly for laughs, and it did show DM being uncomfortable with these matters but attempting also to be compassionate. Interesting.

4. The scene at the beach where there is a very large shot of DM stepping on the hand of the child. We're definitely meant to notice this, and it seems to be in aid of setting up a situation which riles up the headmaster so that he pushes Louisa. But, is also shows why Louisa might be uncomfortable with the idea of DM as a father -- when his initial reaction to a child's pain -- that he caused -- is to tell him to stop whingeing. I found that deeply uncomfortable. And a clear indication of how his parents treated him.

5. Louisa says at the end, "Thanks anyway, Martin" to which he clearly takes offense. And he did try heroically to help in the situation. But clumsily, and convinced he was right and seemingly making the situation worse before he saved the day. I agree with Mona that on balance, the "anyway" was gratuitous and unnecessary.

6. We had a conversation a few pages ago about why Louisa didn't go through with the marriage, and one thought was that she knew she wanted children and decided that was not a realistic expectation of a marriage to DM. Holding on to that thought helps explain, I think, why she didn't tell him when she knew she was pregnant. I don't think she planned to return to Portwenn, but the implication is that the school let her go (or made things very difficult for her). But the fact that he wasn't told clearly upset Martin and made it easier for him to rationalize/believe that she didnt want him involved.

7. Whatever she wanted or hoped for in stopping to see DM, she was thrown for a loop when she saw Edith and leaped to the conclusion that he was in a relationship with her. Both were too agitated to sort that out on the spot, but of course she could have later pressed him further. But I think her pride would not let her do that, and she might have felt that given that she had rejected him, who was she to question his new relationship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link (whois.com) is wrong above. It should be http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

VERY cool research, SusieSag!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random thoughts:

1. When Jimmy was acting out at Bert's restaurant, I thought Penhale was great when he gently said "There's something wrong with you Jimmy." Sometimes he seems to be Portwenn's version of the wise fool.

2. I have never been able to figure out what Pauline says in the scene in the question where she is interrogating DM about Louisa's appearance in the village. He says that she never intended to stay with him, etc., and Pauline has her back toward him at the sink and mutters something, to which he barks: "I am not." Does she say "heartless"? "unkind"? ????

3. Not quite sure how I feel about the subplot of "bi" Jimmy. (And by the way, why doesn't DM have a computer in his office and always have to use Pauline's?) It really wasn't played entirely or even mostly for laughs, and it did show DM being uncomfortable with these matters but attempting also to be compassionate. Interesting.

4. The scene at the beach where there is a very large shot of DM stepping on the hand of the child. We're definitely meant to notice this, and it seems to be in aid of setting up a situation which riles up the headmaster so that he pushes Louisa. But, is also shows why Louisa might be uncomfortable with the idea of DM as a father -- when his initial reaction to a child's pain -- that he caused -- is to tell him to stop whingeing. I found that deeply uncomfortable. And a clear indication of how his parents treated him.

5. Louisa says at the end, "Thanks anyway, Martin" to which he clearly takes offense. And he did try heroically to help in the situation. But clumsily, and convinced he was right and seemingly making the situation worse before he saved the day. I agree with Mona that on balance, the "anyway" was gratuitous and unnecessary.

6. We had a conversation a few pages ago about why Louisa didn't go through with the marriage, and one thought was that she knew she wanted children and decided that was not a realistic expectation of a marriage to DM. Holding on to that thought helps explain, I think, why she didn't tell him when she knew she was pregnant. I don't think she planned to return to Portwenn, but the implication is that the school let her go (or made things very difficult for her). But the fact that he wasn't told clearly upset Martin and made it easier for him to rationalize/believe that she didnt want him involved.

7. Whatever she wanted or hoped for in stopping to see DM, she was thrown for a loop when she saw Edith and leaped to the conclusion that he was in a relationship with her. Both were too agitated to sort that out on the spot, but of course she could have later pressed him further. But I think her pride would not let her do that, and she might have felt that given that she had rejected him, who was she to question his new relationship.

A few comments on your comments, NewPark:
    1. DM does have a laptop at some point in the series, later on, I think, S5, which he uses in his consulting room. Yes, when AR comes in once, he is using it. Also, as a physician doing research on the internet, I usually start with either Google Scholar or with Pubmed or Medscape, etc. I do not go to well, the site DM wound up on....And, how our medical journal reading and medical journal author DM wound up there we will probably never know!

2. "Thanks, anyway, Martin" is definitely unnecessary, and even a bit mean, NewPark, and really does not show LG well, in my opinion. I support DM getting offended by it. It's an early signal of LG we see play out a lot in S5--her inability to recognize his help (even risking his life in the sea to do so!) and say anything gracious about it.

3. "But the fact that he wasn't told clearly upset Martin and made it easier for him to rationalize/believe that she didn't want him involved." I see no other way for DM or any other man on the planet to interpret LG's actions, than she didn't want him involved. That's not misreading by DM; that's reading what LG was saying and doing accurately.

4. LG making assumptions about Edith, and her relationship with DM, is another repetitive bad habit of LG's. Need we say "Godfather apology"? A mature, well-adjusted individual could easily ask about Edith without assuming DM has replaced her and doesn't want anything to do with her. Even if she doesn't ask DM, Pauline would certainly give any gossip along those lines. Unfortunately, we see LG falling into bad habits from their first meeting, and initiating the resultant havoc. Not solely being the cause, of course, as DM plays his clear part once things are spoiled in the first episode, but LG was, I feel, the one who started them off so very badly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

3. "But the fact that he wasn't told clearly upset Martin and made it easier for him to rationalize/believe that she didn't want him involved." I see no other way for DM or any other man on the planet to interpret LG's actions, than she didn't want him involved. That's not misreading by DM; that's reading what LG was saying and doing accurately.

4. LG making assumptions about Edith, and her relationship with DM, is another repetitive bad habit of LG's. Need we say "Godfather apology"? A mature, well-adjusted individual could easily ask about Edith without assuming DM has replaced her and doesn't want anything to do with her. Even if she doesn't ask DM, Pauline would certainly give any gossip along those lines. Unfortunately, we see LG falling into bad habits from their first meeting, and initiating the resultant havoc. Not solely being the cause, of course, as DM plays his clear part once things are spoiled in the first episode, but LG was, I feel, the one who started them off so very badly.

I agree that while she was in London she certainly didn't want him involved with her pregnancy -- as she explicitly tells him in the schoolroom scene. I would even say that it was "high-handed" of her. But once she returns to Portwenn, I suspect it wouldn't have taken much effort on DM's part to persuade her to let him be of some help and support in her pregnancy and afterwards. I don't think she intended to press him for this in any way, but if things had started off on the right foot, I think she would have allowed him as much involvement as he wanted.

Once she leaped to the conclusion that another woman was in his life, though, I can see her refusing to deal with that situation by trying to steer clear of him, and any offers of help. Of course, the leaping to conclusions was foolish, but I think her feelings were more complex than just wishing to shut him out.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw CC in DCI Banks last night. In that program we are given insight into the character's flaws and shortcomings as soon as we meet her. In the early seasons of DM I don't think the show really presented the total woman - warts and all. She was sort of 2 dimensional, in my opinion, and set up as an ideal rather than a real person. If Helen Morton suddenly insulted someone or did the wrong thing, I would not be surprised because the character is introduced to us as a flawed person. Maybe if Louisa had been introduced with as a more complex character, her actions would make more sense to us. We know who he is and why she should accept him. But I feel like I am left to my own devices to piece together Louisa's motivations sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that while she was in London she certainly didn't want him involved with her pregnancy -- as she explicitly tells him in the schoolroom scene. I would even say that it was "high-handed" of her. But once she returns to Portwenn, I suspect it wouldn't have taken much effort on DM's part to persuade her to let him be of some help and support in her pregnancy and afterwards. I don't think she intended to press him for this in any way, but if things had started off on the right foot, I think she would have allowed him as much involvement as he wanted.

Once she leaped to the conclusion that another woman was in his life, though, I can see her refusing to deal with that situation by trying to steer clear of him, and any offers of help. Of course, the leaping to conclusions was foolish, but I think her feelings were more complex than just wishing to shut him out.

Yes, I see her (with her bags in the taxi) as hoping that DM will take her in, miraculously prove he's happy about the prospect of a child and life will be rosie. But as soon as she sees Edith her hopes are dashed and then DM acts, well like DM and all the past disappointments are brought back to her and she realises the rosie picture she'd built up about DM and the future is never to be.

I agree that the "anyway" tacked onto the thank you was unnecessarily mean but shows she must really hate/resent him at that time for not being her knight in shining armour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I saw CC in DCI Banks last night. In that program we are given insight into the character's flaws and shortcomings as soon as we meet her. In the early seasons of DM I don't think the show really presented the total woman - warts and all. She was sort of 2 dimensional, in my opinion, and set up as an ideal rather than a real person. If Helen Morton suddenly insulted someone or did the wrong thing, I would not be surprised because the character is introduced to us as a flawed person. Maybe if Louisa had been introduced with as a more complex character, her actions would make more sense to us. We know who he is and why she should accept him. But I feel like I am left to my own devices to piece together Louisa's motivations sometimes.

I think we all feel that way, dcdmfan. LG was supposed to be at first, perhaps, the well-adjusted single school teacher shown in polar opposite of the problematic DM. However, the writers and such begin toying with LG's character fairly quickly and while we get the basis of DM's personality, the inconsistency of LG and how she has gotten much worse herself throughout the series has left many of us trying to figure her out and what the show wants us to think of her. We are now up to them saying she is "flawed" and "cannot multitask" but for how she overall acts at times, and why she does so, it can indeed leave us very confused and frustrated.
This discussion has been closed.