Options

Explosion at Boston Marathon (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    You are misreading this, it is not saying it should not include something ordinary that is redesigned for use as a weapon.

The pressure cooker is merely the casing, what about the explosive inside? Isn't that designed to be used as a weapon.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    The pressure cooker is merely the casing, what about the explosive inside? Isn't that designed to be used as a weapon.

The casing is very much a part of the device or they could have put it in a paper bag.

The casing builds up the pressure before splitting and releasing its shrapnel at high pressure.

It's the difference from an old Banger firework going 'Bang' whilst if you empty the powder out and light it, it just goes 'poof!'

But that's more than enough about device making topics.
  • Options
    MordirithMordirith Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boston Terrorist a Suspect in 2011 Triple Murder
    Investigators in the Boston suburbs told ABC News that Tamerlan Tsarnaev – the elder Boston Marathon bomber, who was killed in a firefight with police – may have been involved in an unsolved grisly triple homicide of a former roommate and two others.

The murders took place around September 11, 2011, the tenth anniversary of the September 11 combined strategic terror attack on the United States.

"We are looking at a possible connection with the suspect in the marathon atrocity and this active and open homicide in Waltham,'' Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex County District Attorney, confirmed to ABC News.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/167402
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Officials: Boston suspects motivated by religion
    The two brothers suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon appear to have been motivated by a radical brand of Islam but do not seem connected to any Muslim terrorist groups, U.S. officials said Monday after interrogating and charging Dzhokhar Tsarnaev with crimes that could bring the death penalty.

Tsarnaev, 19, was charged in his hospital room, where he was in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the throat and other injuries suffered during his attempted getaway. His older brother, Tamerlan, 26, died Friday after a fierce gunbattle with police.

http://news.msn.com/us/officials-boston-suspects-motivated-by-religion
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The casing is very much a part of the device or they could have put it in a paper bag.

The casing builds up the pressure before splitting and releasing its shrapnel at high pressure.

It's the difference from an old Banger firework going 'Bang' whilst if you empty the powder out and light it, it just goes 'poof!'

But that's more than enough about device making topics.

Surprisingly enough I know. ;)

That's the difference between military and low grade explosives one explodes the other just burns rapidly so you have to contain it to build the pressure.

I've also been enjoying watching all the explosion on Mythbusters recently, all the fun with none of the danger .... If in doubt, C4. :D
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Mordirith wrote: »
    Boston Terrorist a Suspect in 2011 Triple Murder

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/167402

So he managed to possibly commit murder...AND plan the bombing of the marathon, and carry it out. All while being monitored by the FBI? :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »
    So he managed to possibly commit murder...AND plan the bombing of the marathon, and carry it out. All while being monitored by the FBI? :sleep:

Don't worry, I heard there is a secret society taking care of the bats on the moon. Apparently they will be "well looked after and fed appropriate moonbat food." :)
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, I heard there is a secret society taking care of the bats on the moon. Apparently they will be "well looked after and fed appropriate moonbat food." :)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »

Firstly, he wasn't being monitored by anyone. It's true that the Russians had previously warned the FBI that Tamerlan had links with Islam, and they subsequently brought him in for questioning but decided there wasn't enough evidence to go on and he dropped off the radar. In retrospect, this was obviously a big mistake.

Secondly, nobody has said he committed the previous unsolved murders of his roommates. They are saying he is a suspect, which is a fairly reasonable course of action considering we now know what he was capable of and the horrific nature of his religious ideology.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Surprisingly enough I know. ;)

That's the difference between military and low grade explosives one explodes the other just burns rapidly so you have to contain it to build the pressure.

I've also been enjoying watching all the explosion on Mythbusters recently, all the fun with none of the danger .... If in doubt, C4. :D

Indeed there are many of us who have knowledge of this topic and a healthy interest in it, whilst never ever having any wish or interest or motivation to be a terrorist.

It would be a great discussion, but one that we can't have.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Firstly, he wasn't being monitored by anyone. It's true that the Russians had previously warned the FBI that Tamerlan had links with Islam, and they subsequently brought him in for questioning but decided there wasn't enough evidence to go on and he dropped off the radar. In retrospect, this was obviously a big mistake.

Not according to the mother:
    "They were telling me that Tamerlan was really an extremist leader and they were afraid of him. They told me whatever information he is getting, he gets from these extremists' sites." She added that the police were monitoring her son "at every step".

Interesting comments which certainly seem to suggest more than just a simple interview to check him out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    These are verses related to war. There is one whole chapter that is titled Romans. This is a different era, killing and persecution was common place in this era ok. Muslims were killed for being muslim, christians, were killed for being Christian, we've had crusades etc. There was a huge lack of trust among people. It's too simplistic to slice out a verse, not even in it's entirety, and not even look at the context.

It's for a different time, a different era. Islam was in it's infancy and many saw it as wrong, blasphemous. Of course prime example being he crusades to cleanse the holy land of followers of this new religion. So what are people supposed to do? You couldn't go to the UN and say look make them stop the persecution, you had to fight your own battles.

Yes there are verses that talk about times of war. There are verses that also talk about living in peace with your neighbour whatever their beliefs. There is also verses which refer to chrsitians and jews as people of the book and that their food is lawful and can be eaten. Can also marry them too.

People love to pick out the militant verses and take them out of context and say that they represent the essence of the Quran. It isn't true.

edit: If the Quran was such a hate manual as some folk like to make out, why would they have this verse for example?

4:36

Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious

Quoted for truth , thank you for being spot on!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not according to the mother:

Interesting comments which certainly seem to suggest more than just a simple interview to check him out.

They may have monitored him for a period before they decided he wasn't a threat, however it's pretty obvious he wasn't being monitored during the planning and execution stages of the bombing. Unless of course, you're saying the FBI were involved in a conspiracy with the brothers to murder the very people they are employed to protect?

By the way, ever since this story broke, the mother has come across as mad as a bag of frogs.
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you are referring to 9:6. Again, read the context. The previous verse says to kill the unbelievers unless they repent and become Muslim.

or if they seek asylum or protection. it says that in 9:6.

bear in mind also the pagans started the hostilities and the moslems simply respond.
    And how many military campaigns did the Buddha lead? How many people did Jesus order to be killed or put into slavery? Did guru Nanak build an empire through military conquest. No-one disputes that this is what Mohammed did. How on earth can you claim such a man preached peace?

war is not necessarily evil. it can be a good thing.

as for slavery, Mohamed at-least reformed slavery. he also encouraged others to free slaves. if you think that's evil of him then I don't know what to tell you other than - seek help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is going to be a copious amount of egg on a number of forum members faces as the investigation develops, that's for sure. I suspect our resident Islamic apologists will swiftly change tactics, and start pushing the "FBI setup / The Americans did this to themselves" angle.

no i think dzokhar is shiznophrenic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    4:36

Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious

Cancelled out by:

“Surely whoever associates (others) with Allah, then Allah has forbidden to him the garden, and his abode is the fire; and there shall be no helpers for the unjust.”

(Surah al-Mā’ida 5:72)

The early chapters are over ruled by the later.

http://www.quranicstudies.com/law/an-overview-of-abrogation-in-the-quran-and-islamic-law-a-critical-study-of-the-concept-of-naskh-and-its-impact/
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    TBH, I'm not sure disseminating the Quran is going to reveal why these nutjobs killed a bunch of people. Whatever the reasons, it's going to be faaar more complex than that!
    Nobody reads religious texts like that, picks out the bits that suit them and think "Hmm, I need to go kill a load of people".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    TBH, I'm not sure disseminating the Quran is going to reveal why these nutjobs killed a bunch of people. Whatever the reasons, it's going to be faaar more complex than that!
    Nobody reads religious texts like that, picks out the bits that suit them and think "Hmm, I need to go kill a load of people".

Yes they do.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Yes they do.

Like I say, I think it's probably a *lot* more complex than that. Radicalisation has political and social factors at its roots as well. To think that, as humans, we'd just read a bit of ancient scripture and take it literally without context, stretches credulity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it's quit clear that the younger brother is mentally unstable. tamerlan is dead .. we may never know why he resorted to such brutal act of violence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I say, I think it's probably a *lot* more complex than that. Radicalisation has political and social factors at its roots as well. To think that, as humans, we'd just read a bit of ancient scripture and take it literally without context, stretches credulity.

http://therionorteline.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/barking_moonbat3.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH, I'm not sure disseminating the Quran is going to reveal why these nutjobs killed a bunch of people.

Correct. The Quran is absolutely full of inspiraton for any wannabe Jihadist, and it would be impossible to pin down the exact verse that triggered them off.
    Whatever the reasons, it's going to be faaar more complex than that!

I doubt it. As investigators have started to report, they were motived by their religion, which was pretty obvious. We don't need to waste time on the intricate details of what makes each individual Islamist tick, as the root and common motivation behind their actions is very simple and well known. Instead, we need to spend resources on understanding how to identify, stop, and if necessary take out these people. The enemy is living amongst us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct. The Quran is absolutely full of inspiraton for any wannabe Jihadist, and it would be impossible to pin down the exact verse that triggered them off.

I doubt it. As investigators have started to report, they were motived by their religion, which was pretty obvious. We don't need to waste time on the intricate details of what makes each individual Islamist tick, as the root and common motivation behind their actions is very simple and well known. Instead, we need to spend resources on understanding how to identify, stop, and if necessary take out these people. The enemy is living amongst us.

The liberals will disagree and post meaningless "facts" to counter the claim. :D
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

usually they do it out of a sense of revenge , but have these brothers said anything like that in their internet dialogue or whatever ?