Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may remember a few years back, BBC FOUR repeated selected TOTP Xmas shows, Boxing Day 67(plus the Feb 68 edition!), the Noely 78 edition, the 82 & 97 ones too.

Just had a look at the 78 edition again & ' Night Fever ' & the Shake Shack ' Youre The One That I Want' are on as the film clips on that occasion.

This does not mean we'll get them this Xmas though!
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I reluctantly saw Grease at the Granada cinema in Maidstone in 1978 with a bunch of friends. Thought it was dreadful. Never wanted to see it again.

Somehow over the next 20 years I managed to see it again (on TV or video) at least half a dozen more times, usually in the company of excitable women.

The things we do for our friends...
    My mum offered to pay for me and my sisters to see Grease at a cinema in Newcastle. As I didn't want to go my mum gave me the cost of the admission (I think it may have been £1, something like that) and I went to HMV just around the corner from the cinema and bought 'Rat Trap' by The Boomtown Rats instead. This was during the October half term school holidays so that would have been sometime during the week commencing Monday 23 October 1978. I have a vague memory of it being on the Wednesday.

I point blank refused to watch Grease whenever it was shown on TV until sometime in the early 1990s. I was quite surprised to find I actually quite enjoyed it though I did know all of the songs as one of my sisters had got the album for Christmas in 1978.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rezillos - way to get your song featured :). That was fun, as was the Jilted John.

Renaissance - realise now what it is I like about her voice; it's very clear, and great diction. Feel like a lot of singers now mumble and swallow their vocals. Much as I love Amy as a stylist, she really slurred her words.
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I wonder if he ever taped The Tube throughout the 80's! ;) - I've always been after some original copies of that programme!

Me too :). Only seen some crappy extracts on Youtube. I have very strong memories of seeing The Smiths on one (think might have been very early appearance) and Cocteau Twins on another, which blew me away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Wow - only about 20 up to 1973!! :eek: - Such a shame - all these legendary music clips gone forever! :(
    It is a national scandal that the BBC didn't have an official archival policy in place until 1978.

The 60s TOTPs have only four survive and only one of those (the 1967 Christmas show) exists as it was actually broadcast.

Some of the early 70s years are more badly affected than others. 1972 for example was absolutely butchered with only 3 episodes surviving. There are the odd performances still surviving such as the Bowie "Starman" clip but on the whole, TOTP 1972 is pretty much gone.

Of those that survive, one has the first couple of acts missing from the start, one exists only as a black and white recording and the other is the second Xmas episode. Even the Xmas shows! They are usually sacrosanct.

All those classic early glam performances from Bolan, Bowie, Slade, Sweet etc mostly gone forever :(:(
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    You may remember a few years back, BBC FOUR repeated selected TOTP Xmas shows, Boxing Day 67(plus the Feb 68 edition!), the Noely 78 edition, the 82 & 97 ones too.

Just had a look at the 78 edition again & ' Night Fever ' & the Shake Shack ' Youre The One That I Want' are on as the film clips on that occasion.
    i suspect we'll be seeing that legs & co performance of summer nights from the christmas 78 show pretty regularly later this year instead of the promo video
  • Options
    Forum Member
    darren1090 wrote: »
    On the second page of comments for the July 8th show, Chris gives an email address to contact him "If you are a regular" with the enticement of seeing the missing shows.

I assume he has invested in the missing episodes, which can be bought online here:
    http://gb.ioffer.com/i/top-of-the-pops-1978-every-bbc-show-available-totp-517586262

How these became available is interesting, since they aren't UK gold copies and haven't been broadcast since their original transmission. The reality is probably that someone who works for the BBC has made their own copies!
    Interesting that link you provide. It seems to me that you pay £3.25 for the privilege of them providing you with a further link in which you can then purchase individual shows?
  • Options
    HughJasssHughJasss Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I've been looking for these for ages - the BBC shows of I Love 1977-79.

1977 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqZVNzPR8PI

1978 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fTwiPKz7E

1979 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ5RhTObzxI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that link you provide. It seems to me that you pay £3.25 for the privilege of them providing you with a further link in which you can then purchase individual shows?
    i would not buy from that individual ,i've heard from lots of people on the popscene facebook group that have been fleeced by him :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HughJasss wrote: »
    I've been looking for these for ages - the BBC shows of I Love 1977-79.

1977 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqZVNzPR8PI

1978 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fTwiPKz7E

1979 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ5RhTObzxI
    1977 and 1979 were repeated last year on BBC 2
  • Options
    HughJasssHughJasss Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Yes, Unfortunately I missed those
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    . There are the odd performances still surviving such as the Bowie "Starman" clip but on the whole, TOTP 1972 is pretty much gone.

Of those that survive, one has the first couple of acts missing from the start, one exists only as a black and white recording and the other is the second Xmas episode. Even the Xmas shows! They are usually sacrosanct.

All those classic early glam performances from Bolan, Bowie, Slade, Sweet etc mostly gone forever :(:(

Not necessarily - remember that BBC cameraman they featured on the news a year or two ago - apparantely he had some original clips of those TOTP appearances (if not the whole episodes) from working on the early 70's shows - so it may be worth tracking him down! ;)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it at the local pictures Autumn 1978 - the only time I ever saw that cinema with long queues outside - it was finally pulled down about 1983.

Grease was the first film I ever saw with a girlfriend. The ABC at Doncaster.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    i suspect we'll be seeing that legs & co performance of summer nights from the christmas 78 show pretty regularly later this year instead of the promo video

I bet the Beeb will re-edit Xmas 78 to feature the Legs & Co clips of 'Night Fever' & 'You're The One That I Want' instead, so if you had the previous repeat, hang onto it.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily - remember that BBC cameraman they featured on the news a year or two ago - apparantely he had some original clips of those TOTP appearances (if not the whole episodes) from working on the early 70's shows - so it may be worth tracking him down! ;)

The guy you are thinking of is John Henshall, who is associated with the BFI's Missing Believed Wiped project. I was at one of their events last year where it was mentioned that he'd be routing anything he found through them, so further footage should come up via them and be available to all, rather than that scam being run.

Hopefully it will be shown - unlike the old TOTP from 1973 billed that afternoon, which the BFI didn't screen ... because it was hosted by Jimmy Saville - and featured Gary Glitter at Number 1. (You couldn't make it up ...) They did, however, run one clip: 'Street Life' by Roxy Music, which was brilliant ... :cool:
  • Options
    eyeblinkeyeblink Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be shown - unlike the old TOTP from 1973 billed that afternoon, which the BFI didn't screen ... because it was hosted by Jimmy Saville - and featured Gary Glitter at Number 1. (You couldn't make it up ...) They did, however, run one clip: 'Street Life' by Roxy Music, which was brilliant ... :cool:

It was indeed - I was there!
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he ever taped The Tube throughout the 80's! ;) - I've always been after some original copies of that programme!

I don't think Channel 4 wiped any of The Tube shows as there was a compilation series shown in 1995 called 'The Best of The Tube' introduced by Jools Holland and Paula Yates which was repeated in 1997. A 2 DVD set was also released called 'The Tube - Series 1'. I looked it up on Amazon out of interest. It contains 6 hours worth of performances and interviews. One of the Customer Reviews contains a full listing for each disc so you can see exactly what is on it.

When the news broke on 21 December 2011 about the recovered David Bowie - Jean Genie clip from the 4 January 1973 edition of TOTP the BBC Arts Correspondent said at the end of his report (link below) that '... there may be more musical treasures to come. The man who kept the tape says he has another hundred other recordings from the same era'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zefWrrT9l8
    The guy you are thinking of is John Henshall, who is associated with the BFI's Missing Believed Wiped project. I was at one of their events last year where it was mentioned that he'd be routing anything he found through them, so further footage should come up via them and be available to all, rather than that scam being run.

I believe the Gary Glitter performance from 22 November 1973 was uploaded to YouTube shortly after the Kaleidoscope event last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqutufTdiSI
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always nice to watch some of the groups on TOTP from 1978 and then wonder what they look like or are up to nowadays, and I decided to do just that tonight with the first act on this weeks edition, The Rezillos, only to discover much to my surprise that not only are they still going, but they actually performed this very night, at The Wickerman Festival, Dundrennan in Scotland.

I'd concur that the site that is charging for access to possible editions of unseen TOTP seems dubious to say the very least in my opinion, but I'm interested in the BBC chap who had the Bowie clip of The Jean Genie that came to light, and comments that he has much much more from the same era. In that case why is he holding out with all this stuff? Bring it on!

HughJasss mentioned the I Love 1977, 1978, 1979 shows that went out on BBC2. I'd almost forgotten about them, and have the whole set from the 70's and 80's unlooked at since original transmission. Just got to find them again now.

Robbie mentioned the autumn half term in 1978, and pinpointed a memory down to what he thinks was Wednesday, 25th October, 1978. Funny, as it's quite a while ago, but as the date of the TV premiere of Grease was mentioned, from Tuesday, 28th December, 1982 I was able to remember exactly what I was doing on that very date, and evening. It wasn't watching Grease by the way! Even back then, 4 years for a major feature film to come to TV was quite a while. If I am correct it used to be around about 2 or 3 years.

Here's a thought about the 2 big Grease tracks. What if the Summer Nights track had been the debut single instead, actually in the summer of 1978, with You're The One That I Want as follow up? Any difference, or much the same outcome? As it turned out, Summer Nights was top of the charts during the autumn of 1978, which was one of the warmest and driest in the 20th century, so they probably got it right, after a poor summer that year!

Just going back to this weeks actual edition, and I was wondering what the difference is between the British Hustle, as sung by Hi Tension, and other Hustle's. Personally nothing can beat the US Hustle, as done by the real McCoy, Van himself.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On 31 July 2012 I posted a message on page 19 of the 'Top of the Pops 1977 - BBC 4 (Part 2)' thread about a clip on YouTube which contained snippets of some black and white performances from the two TOTP shows recovered from the Bob Monkhouse archive (see post #469 in the link below):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60011030&highlight=#post60011030

On 31 December 2012 I posted another message on page 187 of the thread after seeing the grainy, black and white clip of 'Coz I Luv You' on 'Slade at the BBC' which featured on both editions of TOTP which Bob Monkhouse recorded (see post #4665 in the link below):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=63278631&highlight=#post63278631

It is a shame these TOTP shows were not recorded in colour like the home taping of his hosting of 'The Golden Shot' from January 1972 before Norman Vaughan took over as its presenter (extracts of which were shown on the BBC Four documentary).

Thanks for this reminder Fave St. ;)

I recalled what you wrote as soon as I saw this from last year.

I suppose it is easy to castigate the BBC for wiping the shows, but as far as I know it was just down to cost first and foremost. On a personal level I can empathise with it, because as a 13 year old I only had a handful of blank cassette tapes and could not afford to keep buying new ones at the time, so constantly recorded, then re-recorded (wiped) over previous radio recordings, many that I now regret immensely. Not only on cost alone, but like the BBC, I also did not expect to find that old tapes of my own would in years to come be worthy of keeping, or seem particularly special. I now know different, as do the BBC I am sure.
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,716
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, could I pick your brains/ test your memory
    Has the number One single always been the last record on Totp.
    Chatting about this last night, my sister was convinced that they started off with the number one straight after the countdown. I don't remember that but she seemed convinced
    Anyone help ?
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Chatting about this last night, my sister was convinced that they started off with the number one straight after the countdown. I don't remember that but she seemed convinced
    Anyone help ?

In my many years as a TOTP viewer (:o), I never recall that happening. The number one was the last full song of the night (or, as we've seen a few times in 1976, used as an extended play-out track with the artist performing).

Logically, I don't understand the rationale behind doing it the way your sister recalls. Then 'drama' - such as it was - was seeing the climbers and new releases before the 'reveal' of what was Number One. Why do it the other way round? Sure, I know the singles chart was broadcast on Radio 1 on Tuesday lunchtimes and Wednesday mornings, but TOTP reached a much wider casual audience that would probably not have bothered about finding out what was number one until they happened to watch the show. Of course, the chart countdown at the start of the show flagged what was number one - but I'm sure we never saw it in its entirety until the end of the show.

Are you sure she's not winding you up?! ;)
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mention of the Bob Monkhouse doco reminded me I recorded it ages ago, but had never got round to watching it. I watched it last night and it was really fascinating stuff. It's just a shame that comedy not music was his thing - It doesn't seem like he was a regular recorder of TOTP and other music related programmes. I don't blame the BBC for wiping programmes for cost reasons, it would be just nice if they screened rare stuff more when it does turn up, regardless of quality.

I have the I Love 70/80s progs on video tapes somewhere, and was hoping to get better quality recordings when it was repeated - sadly they only repeated a few and some of those were edited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my many years as a TOTP viewer (:o), I never recall that happening. The number one was the last full song of the night (or, as we've seen a few times in 1976, used as an extended play-out track with the artist performing).

Logically, I don't understand the rationale behind doing it the way your sister recalls. Then 'drama' - such as it was - was seeing the climbers and new releases before the 'reveal' of what was Number One. Why do it the other way round? Sure, I know the singles chart was broadcast on Radio 1 on Tuesday lunchtimes and Wednesday mornings, but TOTP reached a much wider casual audience that would probably not have bothered about finding out what was number one until they happened to watch the show. Of course, the chart countdown at the start of the show flagged what was number one - but I'm sure we never saw it in its entirety until the end of the show.

Are you sure she's not winding you up?! ;)

Thanks Servalan. That's how I remember it. I was unsure as my sister is very rarely wrong with things like this.
    I thought maybe they may have tried a different format when they used to 're-vamp' it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Anyone help ?
    Your sister is actually sort of correct.

In the old days after the title music had finished, the number one single started playing over the chart rubdown with the audience dancing as well (which unusually went from 1-20 as it was at the time). It was then played again at the end with the group in the studio.

This YouTube clip is a snippet from one of the few surviving 60s shows from February 1968 and shows the opening of the show..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUyovSX_1M
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is the link to the full show if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBwPfcJpfI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your sister is actually sort of correct.

In the old days after the title music had finished, the number one single started playing over the chart rubdown with the audience dancing as well (which unusually went from 1-20 as it was at the time). It was then played again at the end with the group in the studio.

This YouTube clip is a snippet from one of the few surviving 60s shows from February 1968 and shows the opening of the show..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUyovSX_1M

You're a star ! Thanks for this
    Just watched the rundown clip. Didn't realise that number one got played twice
    (My sister will be smug..!)
This discussion has been closed.