Holocaust Denial

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over the Xmas period there have been plenty of programmes about WWII. I never really knew much about the war and found them very interesting, especially the series about Auschwitz and the "final solution". It was very upsetting, it actually had me in tears. I have been reading up on it on the internet since.

Some people deny the holocaust and in other European countries it lands them in jail. As ridiculous as it is and horrible it is to deny it, should it really be punishable by jail? There is talk of them crminalising it in England, surely this would be the wrong thing to do, or would it?

Comments

• Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a personal opinion (obviously!) but I believe it to be worth flinging someone in jail for denying the holocaust.

The fact that the Nazis extensively documented it with thousands of photos and papers and endless film footage make it all the more abhorrent when individuals attempt to claim it never happened.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    No, it wouldn't be wrong imho, it happened and I personally know and knew people who were in concentration camps, some now sadly no longer with us, and who's whole families perished in Auschwitz, Belsen and Treblinka, names that fill me with horror and names that I find hard to even type.

Fascism is evil, to try to deny it is evil. I can't say any more on the subject, it makes me so cross that I could cry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't be wrong imho, it happened and I personally know and knew people who were in concentration camps, some now sadly no longer with us, and who's whole families perished in Auschwitz, Belsen and Treblinka, names that fill me with horror and names that I find hard to even type.

Fascism is evil, to try to deny it is evil. I can't say any more on the subject, it makes me so cross that I could cry.

Sorry if I have upset you,I did not wish to offend or hurt anyone with my post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lets face it - 'The holocaust - is it really such a big deal?' was never going to be a winner, was it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Lets face it - 'The holocaust - is it really such a big deal?' was never going to be a winner, was it?

I did not say that. I asked if England should follow suit and crminilise denial of it.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a different view on history should not be a crime, so no I don't think it should land you in jail. Plus I'm a fan a free speech.

Criminalising it also adds fuel to the fire. It makes some people think that there maybe something in the claims that the holocaust didn't happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a "different view" though is it? The holocaust is a fact and denying it is not an opposing opinion, it's a blatant kick in the teeth to everyone who lost their lives in it.

A "different view" would be if you AGREED with the holocaust and felt it was A Good Thing.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a "different view" though is it? The holocaust is a fact and denying it is not an opposing opinion, it's a blatant kick in the teeth to everyone who lost their lives in it.

Some people have the view that it isn't fact, so yes they hold a different view :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree it happened and it was abhorrent,like i say the programmes were very distressing. I guess i am trying to establish whether we should be censored as to what we are allowed to say and whether it is right to be thrown in jail for doing so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think we should have the right to incite racial hatred?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totally agree it happened and it was abhorrent,like i say the programmes were very distressing. I guess i am trying to establish whether we should be censored as to what we are allowed to say and whether it is right to be thrown in jail for doing so.

Yeah, you're asking for opinions and I gave mine. I believe it IS worth a jail term for claming it didn't happen.
    Forum Member

No! You haven't upset me at all, you've done the right thing by bringing the subject up because the more it's discussed and the more proof that's offered, the more the deniers are ridiculed for their ridiculous claims.

In answer to Horns, the Holocaust was one big deal to the millions who died in the name of fascism and the reason why the BNP must be wiped out because it's all going to happen again, it may not be the Jewish people or the gypsies this time around, it's the next race and/or religion in line for annihilation and one has to ask oneself, will the human race ever learn?
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're asking for opinions and I gave mine. I believe it IS worth a jail term for claming it didn't happen.

I don't. I think it's better to prove the deniers wrong.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I think the idea of it being punishable at all is completely moronic if I'm honest.
    Way to completely invent a sentiment that the original post didn't contain in any way whatsoever, just to shit-stir.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In answer to Horns...

I'm not sure what you thought I was asking there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way to completely invent a sentiment that the original post didn't contain in any way whatsoever, just to shit-stir.

Not at all - the OP is basically saying "I know the holocaust was bad, but is it really such a big deal that we need to punish those who deny it?"
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what you thought I was asking there...

I'm not either, so can you please elaborate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not either, so can you please elaborate?

On what? :confused:
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a stupid thing to say! :rolleyes: The OP wasn't saying anything of the kind.

I do think throwing someone in jail because of an opinion - a very foolish opinion - is debateable at best and scary at worst. You're effectively introducing 'thought police' and what goes on inside someones head is entirely different to the physical actions they take. What about all these muslim extremists who aren't put in jail for the terrible things they say - those enjoying the benefits of living in the UK, whilst saying "death to western culture"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all - the OP is basically saying "I know the holocaust was bad, but is it really such a big deal that we need to punish those who deny it?"

apart from the "is it really such a big deal" part, which i never said you are right, I am asking for a discussion on whther denial should be punishable by law.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let them say it, just to remind everyone what did go on.

I don't think that men landed on the moon, but I'm not going to get locked up for it.
    Forum Member
    On what? :confused:

On why you stated that the Holocaust wasn't such a bad thing? I can't get my head around that one, not bad because of what? That it tried to rid the world of the Jewish race? That it tried to rid the world of the disabled? That Gypsies were better off dead than alive?

Maybe I read your post wrongly and if I did then I apologise, this subject is very emotive as far as I'm concerned and I put my hand up and admit that I can jump the gun.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On why you stated that the Holocaust wasn't such a bad thing?

They didn't. They were trying to suggest that was what the OP was saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On why you stated that the Holocaust wasn't such a bad thing? I can't get my head around that one, not bad because of what? That it tried to rid the world of the Jewish race? That it tried to rid the world of the disabled? That Gypsies were better off dead than alive?

Maybe I read your post wrongly and if I did then I apologise, this subject is very emotive as far as I'm concerned and I put my hand up and admit that I can jump the gun.

They were saying that that is what I was insinuating in my OP
    Forum Member
    WokStation wrote: »
    They didn't. They were trying to suggest that was what the OP was saying.
    They were saying that that is what I was insinuating in my OP

In that case I offer my most sincere apologies to Horns and the consolation that I didn't read that into ladymoanalot's opening post.