Options

with two redhaired grandparents, what are the chances of someone having red hair?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Don't worry, it wasn't funny so you're not missing anything :)
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    My mother in law and father in law and sister in law and husband all have red hair, but neither of my kids do (which is a shame, I would have liked one of them to carry the ginger gene on)
  • Options
    MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always told that genetic hair colourings went in order of strength of Black > Brown > Blonde > Red.

So if a somebody had red hair they must have 2 red chromosomes otherwise if they had a blonde, brown, or black chromosome then that colour would override the red.

Therefore if there is a grandparent on both sides with red hair then a red gene has to have been passed down on both sides. So the highest likelihood is the husband will have a Blonde+Red chromosome and the wife will have a Brown+Red chromosome. So the possible combinations would be a Brown+Blonde = Brown, Brown+Red = Brown , Blonde+Red= Blonde or Red+Red=Red. So 25% in this case :p

Not necessarily. There is still a 25% chance for both grandparents to have the gene. The grandparent has a 25% chance of having two dominant genes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was always told that genetic hair colourings went in order of strength of Black > Brown > Blonde > Red.

So if a somebody had red hair they must have 2 red chromosomes otherwise if they had a blonde, brown, or black chromosome then that colour would override the red.

Therefore if there is a grandparent on both sides with red hair then a red gene has to have been passed down on both sides. So the highest likelihood is the husband will have a Blonde+Red chromosome and the wife will have a Brown+Red chromosome. So the possible combinations would be a Brown+Blonde = Brown, Brown+Red = Brown , Blonde+Red= Blonde or Red+Red=Red. So 25% in this case :p

I thought Red was an incomplete dominant which means it doesn't get knocked out of the running by a dominant, like a recessive (like blonde) would but rather blend with the dominants and recessive and incomplete dominants, so with a brown dominant and red incomplete dominant you get auburn, with a blonde recessive and red incomplete dominant you get strawberry blonde.
  • Options
    Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Red was an incomplete dominant which means it doesn't get knocked out of the running by a dominant, like a recessive (like blonde) would but rather blend with the dominants and recessive and incomplete dominants, so with a brown dominant and red incomplete dominant you get auburn, with a blonde recessive and red incomplete dominant you get strawberry blonde.

Well my science teacher didn't go that in depth when he taught me this :D but if he taught me incorrect things I won't be happy! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well my science teacher didn't go that in depth when he taught me this :D but if he taught me incorrect things I won't be happy! :p

I could be wrong - I just remember reading it somewhere :)

But I am sure the teacher taught you what was true of the day, science is always changing :)
  • Options
    MinjuryMinjury Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, it wasn't funny so you're not missing anything :)

I thought it was funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Minjury wrote: »
    I thought it was funny.

Yeah I noticed you did. Not to worry maybe one day if you wish real hard you will develop a better sense of humour :)