Jobs Where You Can Work Alone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

does anyone have any ideas please regarding jobs where you can work alone, without other people about? I'm meaning a job for a middle-aged woman who's not a graduate - some job where you do not need to be highly or specifically qualified.

The background to my question is, that I'm very worried about my friend, who is unable to work with people, due to people frequently attacking her due to her unconventional appearance, and, her having a horrendous personal life which has her uncontrollably in tears a lot of the time! For the last few years, my friend has a job where she works alone, which is an absolute godsend for her, but there's a possibility of redundancy hanging over her head! I've had several friends in her position over the years, and in each case, the job centre has refused to help the friend look for jobs where could they work alone, insisting they apply for all jobs. This really would not be feasible for my friend at all! She really needs a job where she works alone, or I'm sure she'd have a serious breakdown!

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to get the job centre to help you only look for jobs alone - please tell.

Non-home work would be best, as she needs to get away from home, as home is part of her problems.

I've googled this, but not come up with anything. Everything is for careers, but I mean just a simple job, like delivering mail from your car, being a courrier, or anything where you clock on with your boss and simply go off and do your work on your own.

All hints would be appreciated - I realise that these jobs are few and far between.

I will return later to see if anyone has any ideas.

Comments

• CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a hotel housekeeper and I'm pretty much on my own all day. I pick up my list in the office in the morning and off I go. Of course I still interact with people, my supervisors, fellow workers and of course guests but it's not constant interaction all day long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    I'm a hotel housekeeper and I'm pretty much on my own all day. I pick up my list in the office in the morning and off I go. Of course I still interact with people, my supervisors, fellow workers and of course guests but it's not constant interaction all day long.

thanks CandyAngel. If she has to, that might be one of the better options for my friend to look into as rarer interaction is better than constant interaction.

She really finds any sort of contact with people incredibly agitating though, and could not go through the smiling routine much that people on show have to go through.
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    thanks CandyAngel. If she has to, that might be one of the better options for my friend to look into as rarer interaction is better than constant interaction.

She really finds any sort of contact with people incredibly agitating though, and could not go through the smiling routine much that people on show have to go through.

If she can smile and say hello/morning to people then she'd be fine. You can be a quiet person but still be polite and approachable.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's healthy and reasonably smart, then a job as a Railway Signaller is ideal for the less socially minded. [ like me ]

Apart from shift changeover, there is little face-to-face human intercourse, all communication is done via telephone.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The background to my question is, that I'm very worried about my friend, who is unable to work with people, due to people frequently attacking her due to her unconventional appearance, and, her having a horrendous personal life which has her uncontrollably in tears a lot of the time!

Physically or verbally? Surely this shouldn't be allowed in any workplace and she should complain rather than resort to working alone?
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Physically or verbally? Surely this shouldn't be allowed in any workplace and she should complain rather than resort to working alone?

Yeah, obviously in Lala Land workplace bullying, superior cliques and snidey, bitchy comments don't exist ?

If only that were true.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At home. Housewife or house-husband.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At home. Housewife or house-husband.

I think the OP wants paid work.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about deliveries for catalogue companies like Very, Isme etc? They usually advertise for couriers on their websites.

Or try here

http://www.hdnl.co.uk/Work-For-Us/
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine makes jewellery. All she does is go to the factory, pick up the materials, go home, make the jewellery and then take it back to the factory.
  • topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's healthy and reasonably smart, then a job as a Railway Signaller is ideal for the less socially minded. [ like me ]

Apart from shift changeover, there is little face-to-face human intercourse, all communication is done via telephone.

:eek: after reading the description the OP gave of their 'friend' I wouldnt like to be on the train where they were in charge of the signals!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to work in a group when you're omnipotent. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

thanks for the answers folks. All something to think about. Stud u Like, a factory job like that sounds like regular work and may be something she could do. Do you know please if the factory is on an industrial estate? I'm trying to think how we could get to approach factories to ask if they employ any homeworkers, (home work would not be ideal, but at least it would mean little exposure to an offical workplace, which is the main thing my friend needs).

Re the above - Shappy, my friend is absolutely fine now in her job where she works completely alone. She is picked on by other people in her non-working life, when she's just shopping or going to and from work, because of her unconventional style of clothing, or (I believe) because she looks sensitive and miserable, which I think bullies respond to. I take your point that people aren't supposed to pick on others in the workplace, but I agree with you "Richard Cranium", that in reality it doesn't often work out like that. Seeing as though she already gets so much aggro as it is, when she has a job where she works alone, she thinks, and of course so do I, that it would surely be so much worse if she had to spend hours a day with people - and in fact this has been proven, for she recently reluctantly covered for an absent colleague as a favour for her boss, which meant she had to interact with colleagues for two weeks, and that didn't work out well at all, because of how much she was crying, and her colleagues worry and disapproval over that, although she couldn't help it. (When working alone, she often cries buckets, but there's no one to see, so it's not a problem).

Candyangel, my friend is a polite person towards people who aren't attacking her, but, as indicated above, it's her magnetism to bullies which is the issue which makes her need to work alone.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a job for a while as a professional house cleaner.

My boss would sent me a weekley rota by post of the hours required and the addresses and keys of the property that needed cleaning and I would go from my home to each of the properties on the list. I rarely encountered anyone apart from the occasional housewife with young kids who wasnt out at work.

It wasnt a high paying job but I did enjoy being able to get on with things on my own and not being stuck in one location.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some call centre companies recruit people to work from their homes.

It's shitty work but some of them have you dealing with incoming calls so there is at least no sales or cold calling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a job for a while as a professional house cleaner.

My boss would sent me a weekley rota by post of the hours required and the addresses and keys of the property that needed cleaning and I would go from my home to each of the properties on the list. I rarely encountered anyone apart from the occasional housewife with young kids who wasnt out at work.

It wasnt a high paying job but I did enjoy being able to get on with things on my own and not being stuck in one location.

sounds fab :) thank you littlebooties :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some call centre companies recruit people to work from their homes.

It's shitty work but some of them have you dealing with incoming calls so there is at least no sales or cold calling.

thanks Dave. Yes home phone work would be a possibility, although ideally she needs to get out of the house for she has ongoing problems with the people she's living with and the neighbours.

ps would you know of any companies in particular who do this?
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks Dave. Yes home phone work would be a possibility, although ideally she needs to get out of the house for she has ongoing problems with the people she's living with and the neighbours.

ps would you know of any companies in particular who do this?

Sorry I can't remember the company.

I read about it in a homeworking forum. The fact other people were starting the job confirmed it was kosher, while others were at various stages of the recruitment process.

Some forums like this one might be helpful. Otherwise general recruitment sites may have these types of jobs listed, you do see them from time to time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I can't remember the company.

I read about it in a homeworking forum. The fact other people were starting the job confirmed it was kosher, while others were at various stages of the recruitment process.

Some forums like this one might be helpful. Otherwise general recruitment sites may have these types of jobs listed, you do see them from time to time.

Thanks Dave, for the reply. That homeworking forum looks good as a possible way to get to work alone, anyway, though at this moment in time my friend has got a very dependent, ill and bipolar man around in her house all day, and his depression makes hers so much worse that she needs to take regular breaks away from him. But I bet if she could sort out some more support for him, she could work at home :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member

It's ironic as I'm a signaller and spend weekends and nights alone but when i'm on with colleagues i'm really chatty, i do agree that with the right cabin you can just get on with it but opportunities are non-exsistant with my company right now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prakb wrote: »
    It's ironic as I'm a signaller and spend weekends and nights alone but when i'm on with colleagues i'm really chatty, i do agree that with the right cabin you can just get on with it but opportunities are non-exsistant with my company right now

Somehow I don't think this would be the right job but thanks for the info on how social it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I worked for about a year in security (mostly in the aviation environment) I spent literately hours standing next to a plane on my jack jones or sometimes i was pulled in to cover a desk, that was sitting at a desk of an office building doing nothing and with noone about (weekends only though)
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The couple of times that I have claimed unemployment the jobcentre have been very happy to only expect me to apply for jobs that suit my needs/skills/qualifications/preferences etc. They certainly did not insist I apply for everything.

Maybe their doctor could be involved? If they have a serious anxiety issue than their doctor could make it "official" and the jobcentre would be obliged to accommodate them.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine makes jewellery. All she does is go to the factory, pick up the materials, go home, make the jewellery and then take it back to the factory.

oooo, how'd she get into doing that? I'd like to make jewellery!
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you go about being a Railway Signaller?