Channel 5 Why Did Oscar Pistorius Kill Our Daughter?

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
On tonight from 9pm

Barrel scrapping a bit?
Barry and June Steenkamp talk about their daughter Reeva, who was shot dead in February by her boyfriend Oscar Pistorius. They discuss how her death has deeply affected their lives as well as revealing what Reeva had told them of arguments she was having with the Olympic and Paralympic athlete and why they had feared for her safety. There are also contributions from other family members, friends and colleagues. Pistorius Trial: The Key Questions follows at 10pm
Pistorius Trial: The Key Questions

Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is due in court tomorrow for the first time since being granted bail after being accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. In this programme, two of South Africa's most experienced criminal lawyers debate the questions that are likely to arise in the trial, using a purpose-built replica of the Blade Runner's bedroom and bathroom to help them to demonstrate their points. The advocates also delve into the details of the 26-year-old's relationship with Reeva and the events of the day in question, with a series of forensic tests enabling them to examine key pieces of evidence

The trail has not happened yet, and while it can be said with some certainty Pistorius did shoot Reeva Steenkamp isn't this essentially prejudicial speculation?

Comments

• Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    I'm stunned they're even considering airing something like that before the trial.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    I'm stunned they're even considering airing something like that before the trial.
    They're doing it because it's happening in South Africa so there is nothing to stop them. The South African system, a bit like the American probably allows this kind of thing more.

It wouldn't happen in a million years, if the case was ongoing in this country.

Is this a production for Channel 5 or an import?
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're doing it because it's happening in South Africa so there is nothing to stop them. The South African system, a bit like the American probably allows this kind of thing more.

It wouldn't happen in a million years, if the case was ongoing in this country.

Indeed it wouldn't. But in this day and age, there must be a fair chance a fair few south africans will see it.

I'd love to know what the old IBA would have made of a show like this. If anyone had aired something like this 25 years ago they would have had that broadcaster's licence for garters.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbf to Channel 5 it can't be any worse than the programme BBC Three did on Oscar Pistorious a few weeks ago
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Indeed it wouldn't. But in this day and age, there must be a fair chance a fair few south africans will see it.

I'd love to know what the old IBA would have made of a show like this. If anyone had aired something like this 25 years ago they would have had that broadcaster's licence for garters.

South Africa doesn't have a jury system so there are no issues around potential jurors seeing stuff.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    On tonight from 9pm

Barrel scrapping a bit?

Well, it is Channel 5!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    On tonight from 9pm

Barrel scrapping a bit?

You think that's "barrel scraping"?

Big Brother starts next week! :eek: :D
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Me too.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    The programmes rated well with viewers and feedback on them has been mostly positive.

BBC3 aired a programme along these lines weeks back and nobody said anything. Because it's Channel 5, the knives are coming out of the drawer.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    i suspect he will get off.sounds crazy but stranger things have happend
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, he already answered the question - he said he thought she was a burglar.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    South Africa doesn't have a jury system so there are no issues around potential jurors seeing stuff.

I never knew that. Thanks for advising me :)
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    You think that's "barrel scraping"?

Big Brother starts next week! :eek: :D

They'll have an Emeli Sande night next,or even a Diana one.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe these programmes are allowed. Where is the regulation!!!

Ofcom really are sodding useless.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    BBC3 aired a programme along these lines weeks back and nobody said anything. Because it's Channel 5, the knives are coming out of the drawer.

Not true, I was very vocal on these forums that the BBC3 programme was totally inappropriate.

I feel the same about this Channel 5 show, I really do wish people in the media would use their brains and realise that just because you can broadcast something doesn't mean you should.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,953
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    The programmes rated well with viewers and feedback on them has been mostly positive.

It's not because it's your beloved C5, it's because it's had more publicity, due possibly to the recent release of pictures of the bathroom after the shooting.

People are objecting to the judgement of the producers and broadcasters in making and airing such a programme at this time.

Public executions used to be very popular and no doubt the feedback was positive, but it doesn't make it acceptable or right.

I'd say the 'evidence' programme was the most objectionable.

The parents interview could have been a 30 minute programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe these programmes are allowed. Where is the regulation!!!

Ofcom really are sodding useless.

No change there. The media in general are a law unto itself. Over the past year or two they've constantly referred to Jimmy Savile as a paedophile, for example. I must've missed the trial where he was tried an convicted. :rolleyes: