'Midwife from hell' poured milk over baby as punishment for vomiting on her

offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
Forum Member
✭✭
A midwife poured milk over a distressed baby's face and said 'that's for throwing up on me', a hearing was told today.

Joanne Scott also photographed the child on her mobile phone because her husband and daughter would 'find it funny', it is claimed.

Scott was working a night shift at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, in 2008 when the baby became unsettled.

She went over to calm it down but then took a photograph, the Nursing and Midwifery Council heard.

Derek Zeitlin, for the NMC, said: 'When questioned about it by her colleague, told her that she would send it to her husband and her daughter who would find it funny.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335295/Joanne-Scott-Midwife-poured-milk-baby-punishment-vomited-tribunal-hears.html

Apologies for the Daily Mail link, but what an awful story. I am actually genuinely disgusted. What a vile creature this woman sounds. I hope she is struck off at the very least. She is also everything that's wrong with our Facebook obsessed culture, and just seems like a nasty piece of work in general.

How do people like her manage to get these jobs in the first place? They must be very good actresses when it comes to masking their truly undesirable personalities.

Comments

• Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Why do you need to apologise for the daily mail link?
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

People don't like them, and mostly with good reason. I haven't seen this story reported elsewhere though so I used the Mail as a source.

Anyway, keeping on topic...
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

Its a bit like bringing a turd to the dinner table because it has something intresting engraved in it. It might well be interesting but its still printed on a turd and an apology for that is only politeness :D
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least she didn't vomit on the baby
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vomiting is not something that can be helped when it happens naturally. This midwife is a stupid cow that should be sacked!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People don't like them, and mostly with good reason. I haven't seen this story reported elsewhere though so I used the Mail as a source.

So in other words, the Mail is never to be believed or taken seriously. But when it suits people to use it for a link, it's OK to do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Vomiting is not something that can be helped when it happens naturally. This midwife is a stupid cow that should be sacked!

I'm sure she will. She is disgrace to the profession.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in other words, the Mail is never to be believed or taken seriously. But when it suits people to use it for a link, it's OK to do so.

Erm, no. I didn't say that, did I?

I wish I hadn't mentioned the Mail at all now. The level of intelligence in the replies here is also a stark reminder of why I recently took a brief break from the forums. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she will.

I wouldn't bet any money on that, personally. People literally get away with murder these days.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do people like her manage to get these jobs in the first place? They must be very good actresses when it comes to masking their truly undesirable personalities.

I do always find these types of cases very odd.

I have friends on midwifery degree courses and they are very competitive to get on to and a lot of work, for not huge money when you qualify. It's one of those jobs you want to do because you love it and it suits you perfectly. How someone ends up in these types of healthcare roles when they clearly lack so much basic empathy is beyond me...
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I do always find these types of cases very odd.

I know.
    I have friends on midwifery degree courses and they are very competitive to get on to and a lot of work, for not huge money when you qualify. It's one of those jobs you want to do because you love it and it suits you perfectly. How someone ends up in these types of healthcare roles when they clearly lack so much basic empathy is beyond me...

I think the fact that it is so competitive and when you get there stressful and short staffed is part of the problem. I think the point scoring system at the University interview fails to weed out the ones who may not be suitable and sometimes discards the ones who would be right. The fact it is a degree based course means that they seem to look at candidates more academically, not the empathy, passion and common sense, which is vital in these professions. I think that yes, intelligence is obviously necessary, but being able to turn in fabulous, academic essays does not equal a great health care professional, I think there is far too much emphasis on the academic side.I know there are loads that disagree with me and there are always those who are just naturally great and meant to be in these jobs.
    I have worked with some great people, dedicated, very hard working, passionate, caring people every day, but some I wonder why the hell they chose their job.
    Not sure about the ins and outs of the Daily Fail reports, they always slag of NHS anyway......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    What a poor excuse for a human being. Imagine if this person had children of her own, if they cried she would smack them and they would cry more.
    What a VILE Creature.
    Please don`t call her a professional.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Heikoworld wrote: »
    What a poor excuse for a human being. Imagine if this person had children of her own, if they cried she would smack them and they would cry more.
    What a VILE Creature.

According to the story, she has a daughter and she recorded the incident because she thought her husband and daughter would find it funny.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could I tentatively point out that the article in question is detailing what she is being accused of. Not what she has been found guilty of. At this stage, there is a big difference. We're only reading the case for the prosecution. You can bet your balls no newspaper will write an article which covers her defence.

Naturally, if she is indeed guilty of these things she should be booted out immediately. But it's only fair to give her a chance to answer these accusations. Despite the fact that some people on this thread have decided she's guilty already, I'll reserve my thoughts on the woman until the outcome of the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I think the fact that it is so competitive and when you get there stressful and short staffed is part of the problem. I think the point scoring system at the University interview fails to weed out the ones who may not be suitable and sometimes discards the ones who would be right. The fact it is a degree based course means that they seem to look at candidates more academically, not the empathy, passion and common sense, which is vital in these professions. I think that yes, intelligence is obviously necessary, but being able to turn in fabulous, academic essays does not equal a great health care professional, I think there is far too much emphasis on the academic side.I know there are loads that disagree with me and there are always those who are just naturally great and meant to be in these jobs.
    I have worked with some great people, dedicated, very hard working, passionate, caring people every day, but some I wonder why the hell they chose their job.
    Not sure about the ins and outs of the Daily Fail reports, they always slag of NHS anyway......

I totally agree, I think there is too much emphasis now on academic ability rather than a persons suitability to be in a caring role.

Yes we need educated nurses, but nursing seems to have become less of a vocation and more of just a 'job'. Yes they are often overworked but I think the emphasis on being trained to degree level has de-humanised the profession.

What the midwife did was unforgivable, I hope she never works again.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    How long till this becomes a TV movie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the story, she has a daughter and she recorded the incident because she thought her husband and daughter would find it funny.

Makes you want to cry, doesn't it? I actually hope this story isn't true or she's not guilty, because it's so horrible.
  • BPL2011BPL2011 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I can kind of see why she would do this. If someone threw up on me I would probably react the same.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    BPL2011 wrote: »
    I can kind of see why she would do this. If someone threw up on me I would probably react the same.

Would you? It does seem a very odd thing to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'midwife from hell', quite an exageration.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess these rotten people just slip through the net. They might be qualified on paper but they are not nice people and they are certainly not caring. It just highlights how very important and thorough staff interviews should be. I imagine this horrible woman came over very well in her 10 min interview. :rolleyes:

Many years ago when I had one of my babies she was in special care in a large hospital. Next to her was a black baby girl. I won't reveal what the nurse who was caring for her said but it was the first time I had ever heard a really racist comment and it was the first time I had ever heard a professional person talking in such a way. I was totally shocked. I have always regretted not reporting her but I was young, my baby was sick and I kept thinking maybe I had misheard her but I definitely didn't.

This person should be sacked and not allowed to continue in nursing or midwifery.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    This person should be sacked and not allowed to continue in nursing or midwifery.
    If found guilty.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Anyway, the OP obviously reads the mail herself. The hypocrisy on here when it comes to the daily mail never fails to amaze me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    If found guilty.

Yes, indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BPL2011 wrote: »

Well if you work in Nursing or Midwifery you'll get worse on you.