Options

What's It Like To Live In The South Wales Valleys Cheaper Properties Areas?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Dolls wrote: »
    I just had a thought. Who am I to say incomers to Welsh speaking communities should be able to speak Welsh? I shouldn't say that. But speaking personally I dont think I could move to a very Welsh speaking community as a non Welsh speaker, because I imagine it would just feel like asking people to do me a favour by speaking to me in English, when I absolutely hate asking people to do me favours, I just personally feel really uncomfortable asking for favours from people unless I'm very close to them.

Like I've said before, the vast majority of people in south Wales speak English as the de facto language. Just about every person in the whole of Wales can speak English fluently, as they are all taught it at school. However, in some areas mostly outside of south Wales, some of them choose to speak Welsh amongst other locals. In other words, don't worry about it. If you get to know a few friendly locals without prejudice, you'll get on just fine.

See you later, by here.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Merthyr but have also lived in Pontypridd ('Ponty') and Caerphilly. Not all the houses are cheap for starters, but cheaper than the average city. My house is a typical 3-bed terrace and it was recently valued at nearly £100k, but you'd get a perfectly decent home that requires no work for less than £60k. The old terraced houses are well built, I can't hear my neighbours either side, but they are quite quiet so maybe that's why! I find the people very friendly in the valleys, you won't have issues with being English and of course everyone speaks English!

For public transport then Caerphilly or Ponty are a better bet as there are more trains to Cardiff per hour (4 from Caerphilly and about 6 from Ponty as the Aberdare, Rhondda and Merthyr trains to Cardiff stop at Ponty), there are two trains to Cardiff per hour from Merthyr but they take an hour for a 25 mile-ish journey. There are also plenty of Stagecoach buses that go to Cardiff, which is a very nice city actually.

You're not far from a decent shop or stunning scenery in many valleys towns, but a car is a better bet to exploit this. Lots of people are on benefits in the valleys as you'd expect, but there are jobs if you're prepared to work. I travel a lot with my job all over England and I always look forward to seeing the 'welcome to Wales' sign when I return home!

If you do indeed want to move to the valleys, I'd recommend either Pontypridd or Caerphilly (I'm not even sure Caerphilly classes as a valleys town tbh), purely because they're pleasant enough and have good public transport links. Not much shops in Ponty though, they're doing out the town, Merthyr has decent 'out of town' shops, but those in the town centre are pretty grim (the usual pound shops, betting shops and Greggs). Personally, I'd avoid the Rhondda valleys, they're pretty much been neglected since the mining ended and unless you have a car the transport isn't great, I used to work in Tonyrefail and it's a very dreary area.

Feel free to PM if you'd like more info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Merthyr but have also lived in Pontypridd ('Ponty') and Caerphilly. Not all the houses are cheap for starters, but cheaper than the average city. My house is a typical 3-bed terrace and it was recently valued at nearly £100k, but you'd get a perfectly decent home that requires no work for less than £60k. The old terraced houses are well built, I can't hear my neighbours either side, but they are quite quiet so maybe that's why! I find the people very friendly in the valleys, you won't have issues with being English and of course everyone speaks English!

For public transport then Caerphilly or Ponty are a better bet as there are more trains to Cardiff per hour (4 from Caerphilly and about 6 from Ponty as the Aberdare, Rhondda and Merthyr trains to Cardiff stop at Ponty), there are two trains to Cardiff per hour from Merthyr but they take an hour for a 25 mile-ish journey. There are also plenty of Stagecoach buses that go to Cardiff, which is a very nice city actually.

You're not far from a decent shop or stunning scenery in many valleys towns, but a car is a better bet to exploit this. Lots of people are on benefits in the valleys as you'd expect, but there are jobs if you're prepared to work. I travel a lot with my job all over England and I always look forward to seeing the 'welcome to Wales' sign when I return home!

If you do indeed want to move to the valleys, I'd recommend either Pontypridd or Caerphilly (I'm not even sure Caerphilly classes as a valleys town tbh), purely because they're pleasant enough and have good public transport links. Not much shops in Ponty though, they're doing out the town, Merthyr has decent 'out of town' shops, but those in the town centre are pretty grim (the usual pound shops, betting shops and Greggs). Personally, I'd avoid the Rhondda valleys, they're pretty much been neglected since the mining ended and unless you have a car the transport isn't great, I used to work in Tonyrefail and it's a very dreary area.

Feel free to PM if you'd like more info.

Thanks for all this.

I'll definitely rent before buying if I try this area. It's unavoidable really if you don't know an area. However I can't rent immediately. So it's on the back burner for a bit.

Work's no problem for me at all - I'm sure my phone work is secure, (touch wood).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all this.

I'll definitely rent before buying if I try this area. It's unavoidable really if you don't know an area. However I can't rent immediately. So it's on the back burner for a bit.

Work's no problem for me at all - I'm sure my phone work is secure, (touch wood).

I'd listen to Compton, as what they have said is spot on, as far as I can tell, other than Caerphilly (perhaps) not being in the valleys, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I went to a Welsh village once to do some canal clearing. We were staying in a local church and some local kids thought it would be good to throw stones at the windows.

The saying 'This is a local town for local people' definitely applies to the Valleys.

The film 'Pride' also shows what it is like.

Sadly, you're not wrong there. I was traveling on a train towards Treherbert and there were kids throwing stones at the train near Llwynypia. One hit a window right near where I was sitting. Luckily, it didn't break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llwynypia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I'd listen to Compton, as what they have said is spot on, as far as I can tell, other than Caerphilly (perhaps) not being in the valleys, IMO.

Thanks. I've explored the transport issue more and I can see what you say Compton ties in with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, you're not wrong there. I was traveling on a train towards Treherbert and there were kids throwing stones at the train near Llwynypia. One hit a window right near where I was sitting. Luckily, it didn't break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llwynypia

My 82 year old mother just got offf a bus here, shaken up emotionally because a young white woman shoved and pushed her in the bus aisle as part of a racist fight she and her white friend were involved in with a couple of black girls on the bus. There's fights, racism, alchoholism and vandalism here, but if like us you don't drink locally, you know the venues to avoid and you're non antagonistic to people, aggravation is minor in day to day life. I suppose my extended family could have a protective reputation for us, but, friends and acqaintances here don't have trouble really either.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I just had a thought. Who am I to say incomers to Welsh speaking communities should be able to speak Welsh? I shouldn't say that. But speaking personally I dont think I could move to a very Welsh speaking community as a non Welsh speaker, because I imagine it would just feel like asking people to do me a favour by speaking to me in English, when I absolutely hate asking people to do me favours, I just personally feel really uncomfortable asking for favours from people unless I'm very close to them.

Yes, this is because you have been raised properly to respect other people and to respect the community you live in.

It would be very silly of me to move to a community in England and stubbornly refuse to speak/learn English!
    Bear in mind though that the south Wales valleys (where you're thinking of moving to) don't have a significant concentration of Welsh speakers, except perhaps the Swansea and Neath valleys. All the best with the decision.

*Incidentally, let's see if I can remember the order of the valleys west to east;

Tawe, Nedd/Neath, Afan, Llynfi, Ogwr, Rhondda, Cynon, Taf, Rhymney, Sirhowy
    Ebbw.

We had a song for this in school!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Like I've said before, the vast majority of people in south Wales speak English as the de facto language. Just about every person in the whole of Wales can speak English fluently, as they are all taught it at school. However, in some areas mostly outside of south Wales, some of them choose to speak Welsh amongst other locals.

... and among people living in Cardiff, the valleys, London, and further afield.
    Also studied in all schools up to the age of 16 (though not always adequately!).

I like how much Welsh one hears in Cardiff these days, when it was next to nothing 15 years ago.
    The popular Welsh medium secondary schools at Plasmawr, Glantaf and Bro Edern (and the multiple primary schools) have really brought things along, and like all such schools, are significantly oversubscribed.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I like how much Welsh one hears in Cardiff these days, when it was next to nothing 15 years ago..
    I've lived here since '97 and can honestly say I've never heard Welsh spoken in everyday social situations.
    I've heard it spoken by my wife to her family (Amman Valley) and by a handful of friends in infrequent private conversation.