TomTom One

Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It says in the manual that the battery only lasts 2 hours? Is that right? What if you're driving for more than 2 hours? Do you have to charge it up on the way there?

Why does it honk every so often?

Comments

• FatwazFatwaz Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you normally leave it plugged into the 12v socket all the time.the battery is only really for when youre away from the car
  • Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, thanks, I didn't realize. But you leave the battery in it? Or does it not come out? Do you know why it makes a honking noise like a horn?
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a rechargable battery, not designed to be taken out! The car charger comes with it - you plug it into the cigarette lighter on the car!

My tom tom one has never "honked" !
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    It's a rechargable battery, not designed to be taken out! The car charger comes with it - you plug it into the cigarette lighter on the car!

My tom tom one has never "honked" !

Same here neither do mine I just charge it up as I drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coz21 wrote: »
    It says in the manual that the battery only lasts 2 hours? Is that right? What if you're driving for more than 2 hours? Do you have to charge it up on the way there?

Why does it honk every so often?[/QUOTE]

Too much fibre perhaps...:D

It could be the speed camera warnings, you can change the options somewhere in the menu and some of these sounds resemble a car horn, so it may be that.

I would get mine out to take a look but it is a present for the OH and I have only given it a sneaky "test drive" before putting it back in the box to wrap lol...;)
  • capt hangovercapt hangover Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a full charge(hard to really tell when it is fully charged mind), you will probably just about manage two hours on the battery.

All depends on how it's set up of course.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it honk every so often?
    Too much speed perhaps? :)

You can set the TomTom to make a noise when you exceed the speed limit for the road you are on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a one .v2 UK & Ireland over a year ago, so its not xl (maybe that screen uses more juice?) a full charge lasts 4 hours for me - maybe I just got a lucky battery.

Also when you hear the Honk does the speed reading turn red? if so yes its the excess speed thats triggering it.

Alternativly do you subscribe to tom-tom traffic or use teh traffic anntenna ( no idea if new TT Ones can use that, mine can't) - sound could indicate a change in the traffice conditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is for Xmas too - i've only tried it out once. It could be the speed camera warning, as I was going through them at the time. I wasn't speeding though, cos it honked when I was doing 20 in a 30 zone.

If you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter as you're using it, won't it run your car battery down?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter as you're using it, won't it run your car battery down?

Are you TVQueen in disguise :eek::D

You think a car battery will be able to run your engine, your lights, your stereo, but not a tom tom .....???
  • FatwazFatwaz Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i belive there is a little book that comes with it called instructions.maybe have a read ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Are you TVQueen in disguise :eek::D

You think a car battery will be able to run your engine, your lights, your stereo, but not a tom tom .....???

Am I who? I have been having problems with my car batteries (2 different ones) lately - they keep going flat for no reason. I only put the heater on and it went flat. It was fully charged too. They can't find anythng wrong with it.

I have read the manual 3 times and it doesn't say anything about keeping it plugged in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    strange as the tom tom 1 origonal that i have has to be pugged in or you wont go far.

For more info visit tomtom's home page
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's what I do with my tomtom.. in my easy step by step guide :D

I get into my car with my TomTom...
    I plug one end of the cable that comes with the TomTom into the cigarette Lighter and the other end into the TomTom.
    Usually around this point I will turn my car on :)
    I then turn the TomTom's "on" switch to.... on
    I put in the details of my destination into the TomTom.
    I then mount the TomTom on the screen holder and angle it correctly.
    I put my seatbelt on...
    first gear, handbrake off.... mirror, signal, manouvre :)

Hope that helps :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    You should of bought a TomTom 520 battery life of approx 4hrs 52mins on a full charge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Mine honks when I'm coming up to speed cameras. It also beeps at me when I exceed the speed limit... much to my kids amusement
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine honks when I'm coming up to speed cameras. It also beeps at me when I exceed the speed limit... much to my kids amusement
    I have a nice young lady warn me when I'm approaching a camera. But then again I am using the far better PocketGPSWorld.com camera database :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I have a nice young lady warn me when I'm approaching a camera. But then again I am using the far better PocketGPSWorld.com camera database :)

I have John Cleese giving me directions right now :p
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I who? I have been having problems with my car batteries (2 different ones) lately - they keep going flat for no reason. I only put the heater on and it went flat. It was fully charged too. They can't find anythng wrong with it.

QUOTE]

Do you have a car alarm fitted? My Suzuki Vitara had similar symptoms, and it was eventually traced to the alarm system which had been fitted as an extra. :mad:
  • rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive got the TomTom One and mine doesnt tell me when ive exceeded the speed limit on that road? ive noticed it in other models of sat navs but not mine ,have a missed a update or somthing ?
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rock8633 wrote: »
    ive got the TomTom One and mine doesnt tell me when ive exceeded the speed limit on that road? ive noticed it in other models of sat navs but not mine ,have a missed a update or somthing ?

You should be able to set this up under Change preferences, then Safety preferences, and click 'Warn when driving faster than allowed', and then select a warning noise (I use the bugle).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have John Cleese giving me directions right now :p
    So do I.

Beaver Left.....

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rock8633 wrote: »
    Which version of software do you have? This feature only came in with ver. 7. On ver. 6 the only indication you had was visual, the speed readout would change to red if you exceeded the speed limit. Version 7 added the warning sound.

Version 7 is a free upgrade, just connect your TomTom to your PC and stoke up TomTom Home and it should download and install it. Though you may need to upgrade Home to ver. 2 to use some of the other things in ver. 7.
  • rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think its version 6 but cant check cos batt dead , i really need to get my self a home charger but i never got any of those readings you say even in version 6

mines the TomTom ONE 1st Edition
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »

QUOTE]

Do you have a car alarm fitted? My Suzuki Vitara had similar symptoms, and it was eventually traced to the alarm system which had been fitted as an extra. :mad:

We thought of that, so we disconnected it a while ago, but it was still happening. We also disconnected the phone cradle thingy and a couple of other things which had been added when I bought the car. I think it's cos I do alot of short journeys, so it's not doing the engine any good.