Torchwood How will Rex become mortal again?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies. Some things set me on edge. :o

It's all good my friend; we wouldn't be posting here if we didn't love the show, and count it amongst the finer things in our lives.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Dr2Pat wrote: »
    I thought he was from the Boeshane Peninsula?

Earthkind spread out as was explained in the second episode of the new series, which upset Casandra. What she considerd the exhisting humans was flawed/corrupt/unpure.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Human bodies produce blood (mostly to replace that which is lost). His body could replace his blood over time eventually reducing the amount of Jack's blood in his body to the point where he is no longer immortal.

Exactly my thinking as well. After doing some research it would appear that the blood replaces itself at different rates depending on wether it is the red or white cells. As far as I can see the whole blood system is replaced on average every seven years. If you donate blood, a pint, then it takes about 10 - 12 weeks for that to be replaced. .
    As far as Torchwood itself much as I would like to see it back and set back in Cardiff, I fear we have seen the last of Jack & Gwen
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Eve Myles or someone said that the show is not dead just taking a long break (Like Doctor Who from 1989 - 2005)

Pining for the fjords?
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess we'll never know since it's unlikely this show is coming back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Torchwood is dead in my opinion. It will end up unresolved just as Firefly ended up unresolved. :cry::(

Well there was this movie called Serenity
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    lilgamevlr wrote: »
    Well there was this movie called Serenity

I know, but so much was still left to be done with the show! :cry::);)
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we'll ever find out since TW is pretty much dead at the moment.

It's sad that both the Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood ended sooner than expected. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I miss Torchwood a lot. Loads of shows have a bad series, so Miracle Day shouldn't have been the be all and end all. (I actually liked MD but I appreciate that most people didn't)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironic that Rex's immortality marked the EXACT MOMENT Torchwood died on it's a$$.

Even if it came back, I wouldn't ever watch it again. Gwen simply wasn't Gwen any more. She wasn't the 'heart' of the show. She was a ruthless, cynical b!t¢#. Rhys had lost ALL his charm & was sidelined in favour of revolting, unlikable bullies, sociopaths & paedophiles. I loathe John Barrowman with every fibre of my being. (Prior to Miracle Day, I watched *despite* him. Never *because of* him.) Captain Jazz hands was every bit as showy, egotistical and smug as he ever was. The only two new relatable characters Miracle Day introduced were murdered. To cap all these ten hours of poorly conceived, embarrassingly scripted mess off - they take Rex - someone with less likability that the child rapist - and they make him a f××××ng god.

What. The. Serious. F×××.

The ONLY good thing to come out of Miracle Day was about 25 additional seconds of PC Andy. (Bless im.)

I'd prefer they bring back Absorbalov than Torchwood.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've said this before but I think in order to move forward Torchwood needs a fresh start. By that I mean new characters, a new setting, a new premise. But for that to work it would really need to be it's own show as for many viewers Torchwood = Jack and Gwen. So I would make it a spin-off series akin to Star Trek: TNG.

With the lack of Who on the telly at the moment it would really be nice if we could at least have something to fill the gaps in-between.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think TW has really written itself into a corner now. It's jumped ship to America and left unresolved plotlines in a story that very few people would actually like to see continue, and it's taken some beloved characters with it.

If Torchwood was to ever return, and that's something I think is less and less likely with each passing series of Doctor Who now, I think it would need a major revamp. A clean break from all that came before is one way to go about it - essentially a reboot with all new characters and a potential new setting or even era - a Victorian Torchwood is still my favourite idea. A steampunk series that utilises the BBC's power for sci-fi television and period drama and blends it all into one. I'd have it as a ten part series or something - it wouldn't need to be as careful of continuity around Doctor Who if it was set in the past, and would also be a massively different series that would have a clearer, bolder identity.

But if they insisted on keeping Jack and Gwen, I would still do what I could to pull them out of the US. It just didn't suit the series, and I don't think it ever will. The problem is that a 'Series 5' set back in Britain would be considered backtracking. I really don't know how they could continue the same narrative without addressing the unresolved events of Miracle Day convincingly, but nobody in their right mind would commission a series that continues that poorly received drivel.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've said before, I'd take it further into the future, maybe early to mid 22nd Century ...

Jack and Rex, both immortal and trying to conceal the fact from the authorities whilst working as private detectives or something,
    Eve Myles playing a descendant of Gwen through whom we are reintroduced to them,
    You could even fetch Ianto back as the personality of a Mister Smith type computer.

Let it be a proper science fiction show instead of the generic "american car-chase sci-fi series" that it turned into.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    As I've said before, I'd take it further into the future, maybe early 22nd Century ...

Jack and Rex, both immortal and trying to conceal the fact from the authorities whilst working as private detectives or something,
    Eve Myles playing a descendant of Gwen through whom we are reintroduced to them,
    You could even fetch Ianto back as the personality as a Mister Smith type computer.

Let it be a proper science fiction show instead of the generic "american car-chase sci-fi series" that it turned into.

I agree that it shouldn't be the American series you mentioned but if the rest of those things happened I feel the show would lose all credibility and I certainly wouldn't watch, whatever it offered up in terms of plot.

Though I like the smaller, more intimate private detectives idea, I just never liked the character of Rex. His presence would be a stale reminder of Miracle Day, and I'd rather he regained mortality when Jack's blood had gone from his body (as blood is replaced in the body of course). The very notion that Rex could be immortal the way he was goes against the way Jack was made immortal in The Parting of the Ways... as such I could never approve of Rex being immortal as it just severs one of the few convincing ties to Doctor Who that should endure.

Eve Myles is wonderful, but casting her as a descendent of Gwen would be asking for massive trouble. She already plays a lookalike to a character from Doctor Who, and to be cast as a third character (two major ones in the same series) just seems unoriginal when there is so much acting talent out there. It becomes more an attempt to maintain the glory days of Torchwood than actually move forward... everything has its time and everything dies. If Torchwood were set in the future, that would apply to Gwen Cooper and the involvement of Eve Myles at all...unless they visited the past.

Any sort of return from Ianto would just cheapen the show massively. It takes guts to kill off a main character like that in a sci-fi series and make it stick, but Children of Earth delivered a powerful death scene and it's remembered as such. Cheating death in any shape or form would once again just feel like the show was trying to relive the old glory days, rather than trying to do anything new. I'd keep Ianto resurrections strictly bound to dodgy fanfiction.