Options

Trial and Retribution

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Oh god I tried to tape this last night as it was on the same time as Life On Mars. Is this going to be repeated at all?
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I watched a bit of this but it was so similar to the REAL case of twins killing their parents in America (I have forgotten their names) that I was turned off by that!! It just seems so similar right down to the mention of bullying and sexual abuse it was almost a complete copy of the real life case.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, 12xu2. I wonder why they didn't tell us that on the programme?
    Seemed odd that the defence QC told the Judge what a speedball was - and by doing that, informed those of us who didn't know as well - yet this was never mentioned.
    Just to add to our doubts at the end, I suppose! :p
  • Options
    May BlossomMay Blossom Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually 1st thought they had switched when Rory was on the stand and Michael was sitting crying,i just thought it was strange it was the only time he showed emotion.

Who knows enjoyed it anyway.

I agree with this. I think this switch followed the discussion outside the court when Rory said it's not looking good for Michael is it. When I was watching I thought Rory was very articulate when giving his evidence which given the ending explains it as it was really Michael. Excellent ending - just left me open-mouthed.

MB
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I watched a bit of this but it was so similar to the REAL case of twins killing their parents in America (I have forgotten their names) that I was turned off by that!! It just seems so similar right down to the mention of bullying and sexual abuse it was almost a complete copy of the real life case.

This was acknowledged in the script ... I'm presuming you mean the Menendez case? If so, Roisin mentioned the similarities.
  • Options
    RubberSoulRubberSoul Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael did not take the stand in place of his brother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    RubberSoul wrote:
    Michael did not take the stand in place of his brother.

Source?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Maybe I missed a bit but how was only one of the twins sent to prison if both sets of finger prints were found on the gloves?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They didn't let the court know about that. Roisin asked Sam to leave it alone, and even after he got the results back from the lab Mike told him it wasn't concrete evidence.

It's interesting how, when she joined, Roisin did everything by the book and vowed to bring Mike down. Yet in time she's seen that he gets the results that she doesn't and know she's started to break the rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought that they swapped after the sentence had been given when Rory wouldn't let go of Michael.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    So Michael admitted that it was only him and Rory was set free, only for it to turn out that Michael was set free by mistake and Rory put in jail?

I shouldnt make a cup of tea near the end of a programme!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, you shouldn't lol! Maybe you should get a tv in the kitchen, or better yet, a kettle in the living room!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Don't think it was a mistake Chickychin, they must have planned it. I'm not sure but I think you get fingerprinted when you start your jail sentence, they would have found out then it was Rory and not Michael in prison, they would have had to set Rory free as the "innocent" one, if they didn't do him for wasting police time or something, by which time Michael would be long gone - they only problem there would be they couldn't meet up, cos Rory would then be watched ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I missed the last half an hour. It was a great 2 parter. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I did not realise they had swapped places until I read the comments on here. I still had the end of the programme on Sky+ so I ended up watching it about 5 times trying to work it out. I don't know when they swapped, but it was Michael outside the court at the end. He had slightly longer hair which hung over his eye. This was the only way I could tell them apart. I originally thought it was Rory outside, but it was all a bit confusing and not very clear at all.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not realise they had swapped places until I read the comments on here. I still had the end of the programme on Sky+ so I ended up watching it about 5 times trying to work it out. I don't know when they swapped, but it was Michael outside the court at the end. He had slightly longer hair which hung over his eye. This was the only way I could tell them apart. I originally thought it was Rory outside, but it was all a bit confusing and not very clear at all.
    :confused: On my Sky+ recording the penultimate part was way out of sync but came back into sync for the last part.Anyone else have this experience - seems odd as presumably it was actually being played off VT. And how was DCS Walker able to sit in court before he gave evidence as a witness ? Ain't allowed as he would be able to hear other evidence and (perhaps) change his accordingly.Agree the ending really wasn't very clear :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    There is one thing I would like to know.

ITV3 seems to have Cold Feet on a permanent loop and Touching Evil has been shown at least three times in the last year.

So, why haven't they repeated previous series of Trial and Retribution
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing when I watched the documentary the other night. It can't be because T&R is available on DVD because Cold Feet is and so are many of the other programmes they repeat; Bad Girls, Peak Practice etc.

Maybe they just want to rub out the first 6 series and try to make us all forget that Pat North existed - that was teh impression I got after the documentary.
  • Options
    RubberSoulRubberSoul Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source?
    Uh...I watched it. It was clearly Rory, not Michael pretending to be Rory.

The actor Robert Timmins played Michael at all times and the actor Jonathan Timmins played Rory at all times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    RubberSoul wrote:
    The actor Robert Timmins played Michael at all times and the actor Jonathan Timmins played Rory at all times.

I happen to know for a fact that these actors have swapped identities in real life.
  • Options
    Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody else see Kate Buffery on Midsommer Murders yesterday (with really long hair!!! :eek: )?

I'd love to know what went on between Buffery and La Plante. I'd heard rumours that there was bad blood between them, but what?

Bear in mind that KB, who had as much screen time as David Hayman (if not more), didn't feature in the behind the scenes show and had only two tiny photo on the inner and outer casing of the DVD boxset.

In T&R VII: Suspicion we learnt that Connor and Pat were practically best mates, yet she's never been mentioned since. It's as if La Plante had wanted remove all trace of KB from the series.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but hey. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spotted Juner's comment above! I'm not alone! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah mate - I'm with you 100%.

It really riles me - so much! Why isn't LLP proud of what she created with Pat and Pat and Mike. It was an amazing relationship and Pat was such a good character. It's also wierd about the Roisin/Pat thing - I think that was just a convenient story so that Roisin could threaten to bring Mike down with Pat's information about the murder at the end of T&R 6.

Apparently Kate was 'axed' because she refused to make Pat into a more glamourous character. However in all the T&R books LLP thanks Kate for all her hard and professionalism, and in the T&R 6 book she singles David and Kate out to praise their performances and their loyalty to the show.

It doesn't make sense but I agree, why was she left off the documentary and why doesn't she feature on any of the DVD covers of special features? This is a mystery in itself!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its probably a forlorn hope but did anyone tape the "T&R Behind the Scenes" on ITV 3 afterwards. Taped T&R and didnt know anything about it until the next day, would love to see it :(
  • Options
    RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juner wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing when I watched the documentary the other night. It can't be because T&R is available on DVD because Cold Feet is and so are many of the other programmes they repeat; Bad Girls, Peak Practice etc.
    Probably down to rights. T&R is an independent production, and so ITV would have to buy the rights.