bt vision no linear channels on offer

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    The new linear channels are now being made available to new customers. Details are on the BT Vision site. According to the BT community forum however there has been problems with the new service with people losing the channels from their service over the weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I have just had a gander at the BTvision website -

"Note: Sport and Extra Channels are available to Infinity customers only, subject to availability. These products are not yet available on YouView.":mad::mad::mad:
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heres the link -

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35463

Along with the smallprint -

Extra TV channels – Available to new and existing broadband customers that sign up to a 12-month TV Essential Extra contract. If you've got less than 12 months left on your Infinity contract, you'll need to re-contract to Infinity for another 12 months. HD ITV1 not available in NI or Scotland. HD and Blockbuster films cost extra. HD requires a HD ready TV and a HDMI cable (supplied with new, but not replacement boxes). You'll need a minimum line speed of 15Mbps. You will be charged £49 if you are a new BT TV customer or require a replacement box for Extra TV Channels. New to Infinity 1 and Unlimited Infinity 1 customers will also be charged £25 activation (rising to £30 on 22nd March 2013). You'll need a BT Home Hub 3. A 10 metre cable or Engineer Install will be provided if required. Quality of content depends on local transmitter, suitable rooftop aerial and availability of digital channels. You'll need to pay by Direct Debit and we'll charge you for On Demand content. Subject to availability. Terms apply.

Erm, Blockbuster Films? Whats all that about then? And £49 for a new black box? Thats a bit harsh, saying they're now (often) giving YouView HD boxes away with no £49 charge.
  • souldriftersouldrifter Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I currently have the black vision+ box, and was told I need a new one which would cost me £49. But they still let me order the extra channels without having the new box, BT really do like confusing things. And here I am now with no extra channels:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have the black vision+ box, and was told I need a new one which would cost me £49. But they still let me order the extra channels without having the new box, BT really do like confusing things. And here I am now with no extra channels:confused:

Ah, I can explain that. There are two types of BTVision boxes, a 1st generation box with a 256 processor, and a 2nd generation box with a 512 processor. And only the 512's can handle the new Multicast channels. I normally stand by BT, but to charge £49 for a new black box? I think they're well out of order, saying they've started giving YouView HD boxes away.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those charges are ridiculous. £49 and an activation charge of £25 that rises to £30 pretty soon? Harsh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    Those charges are ridiculous. £49 and an activation charge of £25 that rises to £30 pretty soon? Harsh.

You didn't read that right. Read it again p-o.
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Ah, I can explain that. There are two types of BTVision boxes, a 1st generation box with a 256 processor, and a 2nd generation box with a 512 processor. And only the 512's can handle the new Multicast channels. I normally stand by BT, but to charge £49 for a new black box? I think they're well out of order, saying they've started giving YouView HD boxes away.

How do I know which one i have? my unlimited extra order is completed when I track my order, which was yesterday. 2 and half hours on the phone to them today and they still can't sort it. Do they even know what there doing lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I know which one i have? my unlimited extra order is completed when I track my order, which was yesterday. 2 and half hours on the phone to them today and they still can't sort it. Do they even know what there doing lol.

Hm, they told you you would need a new box to get them, and pay for it too. So you ordered them anyway? No wonder you've spent two and half hours on the phone, because they won't be able to sort it, unless you want to pay for a new box. You need to cancel the order with your current set up.
    Forum Member
    Hm, they told you you would need a new box to get them, and pay for it too. So you ordered them anyway? No wonder you've spent two and half hours on the phone, because they won't be able to sort it, unless you want to pay for a new box. You need to cancel the order with your current set up.

No, when I first ordered they said I need to pay for a new box, but he then put me on hold and came back saying everything was fine and continued with the order. So obviously i thought everything was ok with my current box. Hence the confusion and phone call today.

I even mentioned on the phone today wether it could be my current box, he asked me what color it was I said black and he said that's ok as long as its not silver. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did I read wrong? As a new customer (which they're now aiming at as well as existing ones) I'd have to pay £49 as 'a new BT TV customer' and as a new Infinity option 1 (up to 38Mb) customer, I would have to pay an additional £25 activation charge that rises to £30 on 22nd March.

So currently that would cost me £74, raising to £79 on 22nd March. Or am I missing something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did I read wrong? As a new customer (which they're now aiming at as well as existing ones) I'd have to pay £49 as 'a new BT TV customer' and as a new Infinity option 1 (up to 38Mb) customer, I would have to pay an additional £25 activation charge that rises to £30 on 22nd March.

Now thats more accurate.

Which no one will go for, of course. They'll just wait for YouView to fully launch. Which is expected to be only four months away. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why will nobody go for it? Option 1 carries the same activation charge whether you take an additional TV service or just broadband on its own so why would this be different with YouView? They charge new YouView customers the same - you get a 'free' YouView box but you still have to pay the 2 charges if you take both services so the initial point of the £74 (raising to £79) charges still stands.

Not everybody can get option 1, never mind option 2 that doesn't carry the activation charge - but still has the £49 charge attached to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why will nobody go for it? Option 1 carries the same activation charge whether you take an additional TV service or just broadband on its own so why would this be different with YouView? They charge new YouView customers the same - you get a 'free' YouView box but you still have to pay the 2 charges if you take both services so the initial point of the £74 (raising to £79) charges still stands.

Not everybody can get option 1, never mind option 2 that doesn't carry the activation charge - but still has the £49 charge attached to it.

And thats exactly the point I'm making. As BT have been giving YouView boxes away for free, with no £49 charge, but it will be some months yet before these new live channels including Sky, ESPN and then BT Sports become active on YouView.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    ordered extra channels on Wednesday was told needed new box. Box recieved today and connected up, ALL working fine and new channels plus HD with NO problems. Should point out I am using powerline adaptors not direct wired though did get a message at start up saying connection was slow and best to wire direct to hub!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Query -

Are the new Infinity live channels contents available via On Demand for ADSL users? As was expected?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Just the same selection, only difference is the new interface, HD channels and extra channels via multicast
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are the HD channels delivered through streaming, is there not a T2 receiver in the box.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveq3 wrote: »
    Why are the HD channels delivered through streaming, is there not a T2 receiver in the box.

BT Vision boxes don't have Freeview HD, only their YouView ones do.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have emailed BT about adding the BT Vision player to my YouView box. I still got just over two months of my Infinity 2 with evening and weekend contact left. Whats the chances of me getting a discount from BT for a package for Infinity 2 with evening and weekend calls as well as BT Vision player as I bought the YouView box myself and never got it from BT.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Have emailed BT about adding the BT Vision player to my YouView box. I still got just over two months of my Infinity 2 with evening and weekend contact left. Whats the chances of me getting a discount from BT for a package for Infinity 2 with evening and weekend calls as well as BT Vision player as I bought the YouView box myself and never got it from BT.

Darren

Hi Darren,

These new channels are not yet available on YouView. But they are expected to be Multicast enabled by no later than August this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Darren,

These new channels are not yet available on YouView. But they are expected to be Multicast enabled by no later than August this year.

I may juast add the BT Vision player for the on demand stuff for now then.
    Im still waiting on BT getting back to me and im hopping they may offer me some sort of discount as I got my own YouView box.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I may juast add the BT Vision player for the on demand stuff for now then.
    Im still waiting on BT getting back to me and im hopping they may offer me some sort of discount as I got my own YouView box.

Darren

There is already a discount.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=34742&s_cid=con_FURL_player

It's free on the pay as you go option where BT supplied boxes incur a £5 per month fee.

For monthly unlimited it's £10 vs £12.50 - not as big a saving but still a saving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M_at wrote: »
    There is already a discount.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=34742&s_cid=con_FURL_player

It's free on the pay as you go option where BT supplied boxes incur a £5 per month fee.

For monthly unlimited it's £10 vs £12.50 - not as big a saving but still a saving.

As my Infinity 2/evening and weekend call package is up for renewal at start of June I was hopping to add BT Vision player to my Infinity package.
    I got a email back from BT yesterday and they was not very helpful. Saying they offer YouView boxes to free to new TV customers and the two packages they offer. I had email and said I already owned a YouView box.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I now have a raft of new Catch Up players on my BTVision box showing the extra channels content. Not much content there like but they're there.

Query - Are all these new Catch Up players also available for ADSL BT broadband customers too?