• Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was never going to work was it, not with that length of rope lol
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Excellent episode again but another dull guest.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Nobody gives a shit if Clarkson is going to be immortalised in wax and that pizza blowtorch section was even more purile and tiresome, entertainment my arse.

So why watch it then?
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    That piece in the UAE with the 6x6 and 8x8 not to mention those police cars - many many men wee'd their pants - just a teeny bit when watching that I'm sure :o:D

It was slightly ott, crass and deliciously outrageous. :kitty:
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dull episode. And cheap. Almost every item involved a car presumably loaned for free from the manufacturer.

Jack Whitehall managed to transform my distaste for him into positive dislike. Did he blackmail someone into getting onto TG? I would like to see the back of SIARPC.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    What a dull episode. And cheap. Almost every item involved a car presumably loaned for free from the manufacturer.

Jack Whitehall managed to transform my distaste for him into positive dislike. Did he blackmail someone into getting onto TG? I would like to see the back of SIARPC.

Do you think the BBC buy every car on the show?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Wonder how many people are ow going to apply for a job as a traffic cop in Dubai?!! Fabulous police cars
    At a guess you have to supply your own car. And that is the cheap part of being allowed to become a traffic cop. ;)
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I would like to see the back of SIARPC.

Unfortunately, since it has now been turned into a cheap plugging vehicle, I don't think it will disappear until Top Gear does.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mediocre episode. Nothing special Nothing particularly bad. Liked the UAE bit and tiny Hammond in the oversized jeep. Guest wasn't all that much. Felt like there was something missing. But even on an off day it's still entertaining.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    As per usual, the show is absolutely nothing to do with cars and is 100% about 3 overgrown middle aged adolescents and their bloated egos.

It says a great deal about the folk who actually like this show.

Well spotted. We're, what, twenty seasons into the show now?

Top Gear absolutely is about three overgrown middle-aged adolescents arsing about in cars, which is why it is not only surviving but thriving, whereas old Top Gear - that was actually about cars - died on its arse. Fifth Gear is similar to old Top Gear but Top Gear is known and watched worldwide. I don't know if Fifth Gear is still going and can't be bothered to check. This despite the calibre of drivers presenting - Clarkson called Tiff Needell the best driver he has ever known and said of Butler-Henderson, "God, she's good".

Comments like yours say a great deal about the viewers who moan about the show not being a serious car show despite it being an entertainment show for at least the past ten seasons. There are probably people on YouTube reviewing the latest Skoda or Vauxhall. There are enough car magazines out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For me, the best episode of the current episode.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe those who forget what kind of show they're watching every week should write a "Dear Top so-called Gear..." letter in disgust ;-)
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I know Jeremy really liked the Alpha, but I thought it was a pig-ugly, car.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Jeremy really liked the Alpha, but I thought it was a pig-ugly, car.

It was quite odd.
    "Yeah lets go back to coach building" What, massively expensive odd looking cars?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    So the only bit I enjoyed tonight - was the JC film about the Alfa by Touring.:cool:

James and the Hamster, had to be FF'd {most of}, and Jack Whitehall {from when they talked about school} - but I did check out his time.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I liked the look of it. But surely spongy brakes are easily fixed which is the one driveability feature he marked it down for?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they trying to set a record for the most consecutive episodes that the words 'vagina' and 'penis' are said?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When he started talking about coach building I thought that we were about to witness a feature dedicated to the many different types of Austin Seven bodies.

But no, it was that monstrosity instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When he started talking about coach-building I thought that we were about to witness a feature dedicated to the many different types of Austin Seven bodies.

But no, it was that monstrosity instead.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well spotted. We're, what, twenty seasons into the show now?

Top Gear absolutely is about three overgrown middle-aged adolescents arsing about in cars, which is why it is not only surviving but thriving, whereas old Top Gear - that was actually about cars - died on its arse. Fifth Gear is similar to old Top Gear but Top Gear is known and watched worldwide. I don't know if Fifth Gear is still going and can't be bothered to check. This despite the calibre of drivers presenting - Clarkson called Tiff Needell the best driver he has ever known and said of Butler-Henderson, "God, she's good".

Comments like yours say a great deal about the viewers who moan about the show not being a serious car show despite it being an entertainment show for at least the past ten seasons. There are probably people on YouTube reviewing the latest Skoda or Vauxhall. There are enough car magazines out there.

Hear hear.

I can't speak for other threads about popular TV programmes, but this one seems to be over populated by the "I Hate This Show, But I'll Tune In Every Week & Watch Nonetheless" Brigade!:confused:

What is the point?

Like you, I'm stunned that after more than 10 years, there are still people trying to tell us that TG is not a serious car show & is completely stage managed.

D'uh!:o

Don't these people realise that we knew that in 2003 & you know what, we don't care!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OGB wrote: »
    That piece in the UAE with the 6x6 and 8x8 not to mention those police cars - many many men wee'd their pants - just a teeny bit when watching that I'm sure :o:D

It was slightly ott, crass and deliciously outrageous. :kitty:

I've decided that I want a Mercedes-Benz G63 6x6!:cool:

The way our recent weather has been, it might not be long before people start seriously buying such cars!:o
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most boring episode this series I thought, the guest was especially dull. Liked the Dubai and Caterham segments, but what was that pizza burning crap all about (yeah yeah, it's not all about cars blah blah blah) but c'mon, burning a pizza???
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from last segment, least exciting episode of this season. But not bad, so a good season so far.

Are they running out of guest? Jack can be very entertaining but if he doesn't know how to drive, he shouldn't be there.

Don't know that it can't be done, but i think that bike clip at the end was faked. To me, all that was on the table, was glued to some sort of thin plexiglas on top of the cloth.

Only three to go!
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star in a reasonably priced car has become 'go and make a cup of tea' time for me. I've only known one guest on this series (James Blunt) and all the others have been dull, dull, dull.
    Why was the guy there last night if he couldn't drive?

Other than that I didn't mind last night's program, but the pizza bit was pointless as was the motorbike/car thing.

Hopefully next week will be better.
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Us critics of the show know perfectly well its not a serious car show, what we are complaining about is some of the material is frankly dumb

for example this week we had JC needlessly mentioning himself going into madame tussauds, then we had the pizza blowtorch piece and then the pointless motorbike/car dining cloth dash...(I wont mention the 'star in a car' feature as everyone already knows its shit.)

Everything else was fine.

the ridiculous 'challenges' they set themselves, like ferrari vs train are also completely yawnsome,
    the only stuff I tune in for are the pieces on the actual cars like the new Maclaren, the £800,000 Dutch car that went on fire and the alpha etc, the blokey banter is fine, its just a shame we have to wade through all the other crap to get to the serious stuff.
This discussion has been closed.