Castles in the Sky, BBC2

Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
Forum Member
✭✭
On last night, 4th Sept.
The story of the desperate rush to develop RDF (later RADAR) in the run-up to WW2.
Eddie Izzard, Julian Rhinde-Tut.
I enjoyed this, but it could have been better. As a radio engineer, I cringed at some of the technical terminology. The Open University who co-operated in the production called it 'the untold story...', but in fact the story has been in the public domain for years. The only bit that surprised me was the 'mole' who was reporting to Lindemann - perhaps this was added to spice up the tale? Eddie Izzard seemed an odd choice to play a man who was generally reckoned to be rather colourless and dour, but he was quite engaging. All in all, an enjoyable 90 minutes.

Perhaps a further one could be made, this time detailing the struggle to develop the airborne H2S 10cm radar. Boot & Randall and their Magnetron etc.

Comments

• Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I wanted to really like this but the comedic portrayals of the engineers was just too over the top.
    The subject matter deserves a more serious dramatisation, and better attention to detail. The relatively small valves they were using in the transmitter would have been capable of a couple of hundred watts max, but they kept saying 350 KW. Laughable>:(
    Whilst it may not matter to most of the viewing public, it wouldn't have cost the BBC anything to get these facts correct.

All in all, i felt this was a pretty poor attempt.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an odd programme, perhaps need to read some more about him to get a better idea of what happened to him.

They kept showing the clips of happenings in Europe though they all seemed similar so it was difficult to date different parts of the story.

It gave a picture of a very small group of amateurish scientists producing very crude equipment then suddenly there is a proper Chain Home system in operation. There was a lot of planning going to develop the Chain Home with main and reserve sites built in substantial concrete blocks that did not happen overnight.

Pioneers of Radar does refer to the 'small original team' at Bawdsey which fits with the programme but it was never shown expanding though perhaps would have cost too much.

Also the disastrous move to Dundee was never mentioned.

Other countries were developing radar independently, the big advantage the British system had over the Germans was what would not be called the Command and Control system that handled the data. This was developed before the war in a series of large air exercises.

But I suppose it is all normal in the constrains of a drama.

There are lot of books on the development of radar in the UK. Pioneers of Radar describes many of the individuals. RDF1 has a detailed chronological account of rollout of the network of radar stations. Bowen wrote his own account which I must dig out later - Radar Days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    I wanted to really like this but the comedic portrayals of the engineers was just too over the top.
    The subject matter deserves a more serious dramatisation, and better attention to detail. The relatively small valves they were using in the transmitter would have been capable of a couple of hundred watts max, but they kept saying 350 KW. Laughable>:(
    Whilst it may not matter to most of the viewing public, it wouldn't have cost the BBC anything to get these facts correct.

They acknowledged assistance from the RAF Air Defence Museum at Neatishead (well worth a visit!) and I suspect some was filmed there. I am sure they could have borrowed a transmitter valve from them or the Science Museum. The bit with the valve from the back of the TV set might have been inspired by the use of the IF strip from a standard TV set in some radar equipment because of its easy availability.

I can't remember ever seeing a good factual programme on the development of radar?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »

Ha, that's exactly what I said to my wife! They also several times referred to Megahertz, when at the time the unit was 'megacycles (per second).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    They acknowledged assistance from the RAF Air Defence Museum at Neatishead (well worth a visit!) and I suspect some was filmed there. I am sure they could have borrowed a transmitter valve from them or the Science Museum. The bit with the valve from the back of the TV set might have been inspired by the use of the IF strip from a standard TV set in some radar equipment because of its easy availability.

I can't remember ever seeing a good factual programme on the development of radar?

The bit with the TV set. I said 'he's going to produce a Mullard EF50 from the IF strip!' but he most certainly did not.
    There was a factual programme about radar a few years ago called ECHOES OF WAR: RADAR. I taped it on VHS and now it's in my archive on DVD. It may be on You Tube.
  • crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member

Can recommend (on YouTube) episode 2 of 'The Secret War' - 'To see for a Hundred Miles' (They should repeat that series anyway!)

I agree with the previous posters and felt it started ok but, they could have said that the senior RAF Officer featured was in fact Dowding, who could see the potential of RDF/Radar.

Regarding the control/reporting system - I understand this was adopted from that, which had been envisaged with the ultimately unsuccessful Sound Mirror Detection sytem, that had preceded the electronic method of detecting aircraft.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this and really wanted to like it, but I found it to be unbelievably cringeworthy. The language and mannerisms seemed totally out of place for 1940s Britain - all the engineers clapping together when the system worked, like a group of interns applauding someone's birthday at some internet start up. And did I actually hear them using the word "airplane"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »

Regarding the control/reporting system - I understand this was adopted from that, which had been envisaged with the ultimately unsuccessful Sound Mirror Detection sytem, that had preceded the electronic method of detecting aircraft.
    I seem to remember the air exercises used Observer Corps data as the most reliable at the time.

I have just been reading Aileen Clayton's book on the RAF Y Service and how they worked out the equivalent German night-fighter C&C system was very rigid.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comedy seemed a bit forced, the situations a bit unrealistic, the baddie played by Hayman must have forgotten to twirl his moustache and laugh in a demonic fashion.

Izzard's limitations as an actor were evident, he's really not good enough to carry a lead role like this.

Despite being a cliche fest of wartime upper lip stiffening with an overload of batty British boffin bodging, it was quite OK.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be a factual based documentary style thing (not knowing Izzard was in it), and clearly it wasn't.

But the point is the light hearted inaccurate portrayal appealed to more people, even Mrs Batch enjoyed it despite her earlier "geek" protestations when I said I wanted to watch a program on the development of RADAR.

Anyway, yes it may have created a slightly false impression, but its made me want to read a bit more about what really happened. So that's a good thing.

I can imaging the inaccuracies bugging you if you understand the history and operation of radar though.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    A follow up serious documentary on BBC4 would have worked nicely. The timelines seemed to have been compressed and made to overlap. According the feature in this week's RT all WW's work was done well before war broke out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    A follow up serious documentary on BBC4 would have worked nicely. The timelines seemed to have been compressed and made to overlap. According the feature in this week's RT all WW's work was done well before war broke out.

I was reading his biography in the DNB earlier.

I wonder if the episode at the end where he was thrown out of the Fighter Command ops room was based on a true incident? It a feeling of being 'symbolic' of him leaving.

He kept being described as a meteorologist but had develop radio methods of tracking thunder storms and the use of a CRO. I think he was Superintendent of the Radio Research Station when given the task of proving whether a death ray was possible though gave it to Wilkins to do rather than do it himself.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Even better - just a documentary - this, I gave up after about 15 minutes, too much comedy, for my liking...for such a fascinating subject.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed it -probably because I knew nothing about radar or how or when it was invented. I enjoyed the mad boffins with their poles and bits of string. Isn't it very British though to be thoroughly underfunded and having to make do or obtain what you need by nefarious means. I will now make it my business to find out more as I had never heard of Watson - Watt before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed it -probably because I knew nothing about radar or how or when it was invented. I enjoyed the mad boffins with their poles and bits of string. Isn't it very British though to be thoroughly underfunded and having to make do or obtain what you need by nefarious means. I will now make it my business to find out more as I had never heard of Watson - Watt before.

Go up to Neatishead, you will learn far more about the history of radar than that programme.

http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

By the way, did Izzard keep writing 'RADAR' on his blackboard? I don't think I remember seeing 'RDF' anyway.
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was poor. Especially Izzards accent and 'captain darlings' awful Churchill portrayal.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish, utter rubbish.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wife and I fair enjoyed it. Then again, we tuned in to watch an entertaining drama, not a technical lecture on the Mullard EF50 (whatever the hell that is).
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was drama-by-numbers; you could predict exactly what would happen because it was bits of lots of other dramas, all of the same type. A pretty pedestrian script, needing exceptional acting to bring it to life.

As far as the acting went, I couldn't cope with Eddie Izzard's attempt at a Scottish accent. At times he sounded fairly Glaswegian, then mildly American, then frankly English. At no point did he sound Highland: Watson Watts was from Angus. Julian Rhind-Tutt seems to have cornered the market in sinister period civil-servants, but he wasn't terribly convincing as the posh lackey here. Tim McInnerny played Winston Churchill as if it were a scene from Blackadder.

I have no idea what the thing was with the wife always needing Izzard to fix her jewellery. Was there a metaphor I missed?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my husband and I both enjoyed it. The only trouble with this was, as previously said, the poor portrayal of Churchill and the lack of suspense in the whole piece. We know that radar was used in WW2 and, as I said to my husband, he wouldn't have had a job for nearly 50 years if it hadn't worked! Well, perhaps somewhere else but he worked in the radar industry all that time.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it, quite surprised by the negatuve reactions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    It was drama-by-numbers; you could predict exactly what would happen because it was bits of lots of other dramas, all of the same type. A pretty pedestrian script, needing exceptional acting to bring it to life.

As far as the acting went, I couldn't cope with Eddie Izzard's attempt at a Scottish accent. At times he sounded fairly Glaswegian, then mildly American, then frankly English. At no point did he sound Highland: Watson Watts was from Angus. Julian Rhind-Tutt seems to have cornered the market in sinister period civil-servants, but he wasn't terribly convincing as the posh lackey here. Tim McInnerny played Winston Churchill as if it were a scene from Blackadder.

I have no idea what the thing was with the wife always needing Izzard to fix her jewellery. Was there a metaphor I missed?

There is a review here which has
    Fraser was required to do an awful lot of acting by herself, as she was left at home in Scotland making costume jewellery while hubby went off to southern England to do important things, and this storyline felt undeveloped.

Puzzled by the comment about her being at home in Scotland when he worked in the South of England even before the work on radar started.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An odd programme, but one I quite enjoyed :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duckymallard, if you'd really like to know, try this:

http://dos4ever.com/EF50/EF50.html

Although you do need some previous technical knowledge to grasp it.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Rubbish, utter rubbish.
    Given how dumbed down a BBC documentary would have been these days, I didn't hold out much hope for this. It failed miserably. Izzard isn't an engaging actor,and the whole production was twee, which is the closest adjective for these dramas the beeb makes these days.
    Intrusive cod orchestration a la Dr Who was sadly, par for the course too.

FYI.The Secret war, a BBC documentary series made in 1977 and written by R.V.Jones and based on his excellent book Most secret war is on youtube for anyone interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_War_%28TV_series%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf5caj9ZhpQ