Chris Evans joins Top Gear

Comments

• MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err..

The annual net income from Top Gear was around £5M.
    Less than 5% of its cost to produce, (according to someone on here who said they had access to the figures).

That's what Evans is reported to be getting for hosting the show.

So no cash for "decent drama," eh?

It's accounting stuff similar to the transfer pricing that Apple, Amazon etc use. The BBC sell it to BBC Worldwide.

I am assuming the £50m is BBC Worldwide's sales so if they get £50m in sales and £5m in net income it probably means the BBC charge them most of the £45m in costs (obviously some marketing and admin costs).
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blokee wrote: »
    One thing I'm trying to work out is how will TG still produce so many overseas segments as CE still has BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show duties. We know JC, RH and JM did other work but that was in bunches, CE has Mon-Fri week in, week out and therefore what windows are open to do films overseas?

he could still broadcast the breakfast show live from any location live, its called a remote transmission. ken bruce does it for a whole week he is doing eurovision so for chris it would be a normal breakfast show
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maureen from driving school would be an ideal co host

whatever happened to her, she vanished from exisitance
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    whatever happened to her, she vanished from exisitance

probably realised she wasn't relevant any more along with that annoying Jeremy from BBC's Airport series
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,937
    Forum Member
    Why do you call people who criticise the BBC, morons?

You could say that about those who'll defend the BBC for whatever they do, but I won't.

The morons I'll remind you are the ones who bang on about the BBC being PC, ticking boxes, filling a quota etc even referring to there being a 'vaginia' presenting the programme as if a female could not do the job.

Sky and other broadcasters have issued reports declaring how inclusive they are but I don't see people challenging Sky over their policies, regarding choosing presenters because they are females.

Meanwhile if the morons are correct then Clarkson would have been put in a box and tucked away out of sight by the BBC, but what's this...
    1992-1997 The Motor Show
    1993 Clarkson’s Star Cars
    1995 Jeremy Clarkson’s Motorworld, motoring culture worldwide
    1995 Pebble Mill hosted with Sarah Greene
    1995 Jeremy Clarkson’s Extreme Machines
    1995 Jeremy Clarkson Meets the Neighbours, tour of European countries
    1995 Jeremy Clarkson’s Motorworld UK, demise of UK motor industry
    1995 Ferrari: The Italian Legend
    1996 QED – How to win Grand Prix
    1996 Noel’s House Party
    1997 Room 101
    1997 Mrs Merton Show
    1998 Robot Wars host with Philippa Forrester
    1998 Parkinson
    1998 – 2000 Clarkson, chat show host
    1999 Holiday
    2000 Clarkson’s Car Years
    2001 You Don’t Want To Do That
    2001 Speed – appeal of rapid transit
    2002 What Not To Wear – World’s Worst Dressed
    2002 Ruby Wax Show
    2002 Great Britons - Brunel
    2003 Desert Island Discs
    2003 Question Time
    2003 The Victoria Cross: for Valour
    2003 Have I Got News For You, hosted numerous times over the years
    2003-2004 Grumpy Old Men
    2004 QI numerous appearances
    2004 Inventions That Changed The World
    2004 Call My Bluff
    2005 Stars in Fast Cars
    2005 Who Do You Think You Are?
    2005 Friday Night with Jonathon Ross
    2005 Top of the Pops – Host with Fearne Cotton
    2006 Never Mind the Buzzcocks – Host
    2007 Jeremy Clarkson: Greatest Raid of All Time, Operation Chariot

That's just some of the programmes Jezza has presented or been involved with on the BBC, thus proving the moron driven clichés are themselves merely a tick box exercise to fulfil a quota.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The morons I'll remind you are the ones who bang on about the BBC being PC, ticking boxes, filling a quota etc even referring to there being a 'vaginia' presenting the programme as if a female could not do the job.

Sky and other broadcasters have issued reports declaring how inclusive they are but I don't see people challenging Sky over their policies, regarding choosing presenters because they are females.

Meanwhile if the morons are correct then Clarkson would have been put in a box and tucked away out of sight by the BBC, but what's this...

That's just some of the programmes Jezza has presented or been involved with on the BBC, thus proving the moron driven clichés are themselves merely a tick box exercise to fulfil a quota.

Hmm..

You wouldn't be a fan of the old fart would you?
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I heard Chris Evans on R2 this morning, explaining at great length his decision to accept the Top Gear job. Seriously, you'd think he'd just been commissioned to rewrite the Bible, such was the reverence and solemnity in his tone. Yet to me, Top Gear is one of those tedious interminable shows you sit through whilst waiting for something much better to come on, like we had to endure Tomorrow's World on a Thursday before Top of the Pops started.

Your statements speaks volumes about your depth of thinking. Tomorrow's World in our house was a must not miss programme along with just about every other documentary series.

Fifty years on and it's still the same. Surely one of the joys of being human is mans thirst for knowledge. :)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Chris Evans on R2 this morning, explaining at great length his decision to accept the Top Gear job. Seriously, you'd think he'd just been commissioned to rewrite the Bible, such was the reverence and solemnity in his tone. Yet to me, Top Gear is one of those tedious interminable shows you sit through whilst waiting for something much better to come on, like we had to endure Tomorrow's World on a Thursday before Top of the Pops started.
    So you would regularly "sit through" a 60-min programme that you did not enjoy, a programme that you found tedious, just because nothing else was on.

A fascinating insight.

Most people in that predicament would have simply switched over to one of the many other channels, or would have found something better to do with their time.
  • Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Your statements speaks volumes about your depth of thinking. Tomorrow's World in our house was a must not miss programme along with just about every other documentary series.

Fifty years on and it's still the same. Surely one of the joys of being human is mans thirst for knowledge. :)
    I couldn't agree more about a thirst for knowledge being a joyful thing, but when I was a hormonal teenager waiting for ToTP to start, Tomorrow's World was something to be endured not enjoyed! And my problem is not with Top Gear itself - I appreciate I'm not its target audience - but rather the importance assigned to it and the acres of newsprint and yes, Internet forums dedicated to the show and its new host!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The Top Gear Die Hards (and I don't mean they'll die with an erection) do come across as a nasty bunch...look how they aggressively went at Sue Perkins.

I don't disagree but you could say the same about any number of "Anti Top Gear" diehards.
    What's actually needed is a sense of proportion but we seem to have lost the ability for that.

PS I'm no fan of Chris Evans and I really don't think he's the man for the job (presenter maybe, producer no) but I'll probably watch the first one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And my problem is not with Top Gear itself - I appreciate I'm not its target audience - but rather the importance assigned to it and the acres of newsprint and yes, Internet forums dedicated to the show and its new host!
    But why should that be a problem? TV is a pastime, and people enjoy discussions about TV programmes. So why not? And the internet is a big thing, pllenty of other forums around discussing all sorts of things, from the serious, through to light-hearted stuff, and across to the quirky and faintly surreal and ridiculous.

The new host of a very successful TV programme is news, so of course it's going to be reported quite widely, especially in the tabloid press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So you would regularly "sit through" a 60-min programme that you did not enjoy, a programme that you found tedious, just because nothing else was on.

A fascinating insight.

Most people in that predicament would have simply switched over to one of the many other channels, or would have found something better to do with their time.

I was likening my feelings toward Top Gear to the way I felt about Tomorrow's World in the early eighties; in my student halls of residence which had a television room with one TV in it and you had to get in early to get a seat with a good view. Hence having to sit through Tomorrow's World waiting for TOTP.
    Obviously now I have a choice I wouldn't dream of watching Top Gear in its entirety; the couple of minutes I may see whilst waiting for, to give a recent example, Hotel India, is more than enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was likening my feelings toward Top Gear to the way I felt about Tomorrow's World in the early eighties; in my student halls of residence which had a television room with one TV in it and you had to get in early to get a seat with a good view. Hence having to sit through Tomorrow's World waiting for TOTP.
    Ah, that explained it much better.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to admit much of this almost makes me lol. i've said on the various TG topics on here that i've been a fan of the show and JC JM RH as presenters but, for me, the show was becoming tired in its general format etc etc. and PLEASE, i don't need told that it made £20 zillion a year for the BBC and is watched in 5000 countries, i'm simply saying for me the current show was wearing thin.

so ... i'm looking forward to the fresh start. yes, it'll be a success or fail, but i'm in the camp that it was time for a change and based on that i wish the new cast & crew all the best with it.

and i would LOVE to know how many of the 'well i'll tell you one thing, i won't be watching!!!!!!' brigade do actually sneak a peak when it re-launches :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Ah, that explained it much better.

Thanks 😊
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Star in a reasonably priced car with "Bells and whistles"

Each week Shaun Ryder shows up, and does a blood test to see if he is fit to drive.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Top Gear and have been for years. Admittedly it was beginning to show signed of running out of ideas, but the camaraderie between the three was brilliant and it did become a guys having a blast type show still branded at Top Gear with "lads cars" thrown in to remind us it actually was a car show

There is now an opportunity for it to go back to its roots about cars, but not only that, trucks, motorbikes etc and as someone pointed out, with knowledge and information and creativity thrown in and excellent presenters in their own right this show could be back to its best in a new format.

Chris Evans is good, as a presenter, producer, and he has a love of cars without doubt. He is also rather "up" on his cars and does the Car Fest which is absolutely fantastic!

If the rumours are to be true, and Guy Martin is a co host, but more than likely pre-recorded type stuff as he tends to interact with the camera men and people interviewed and hands on, but again a very clever man, a deep interest and knowledge and passion for trucks, bikes and cars and he tells it how it is, might upset some folk but he is straight down the line. He would also be fantastic at challenges, anything involving speed would be right up his street

The fly in the ointment would be Jodie Kidd, she isn't great presenter, but CE may bring the best out of her, I would hope it's Suzie Perry to be fair, she is great with Cars and Motorbikes

I can't understand the hooha really, I for one am looking forward to it, and I wish Jezza, May and The Hamster well

We certainly cannot compare apples with pears here
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Top Gear and have been for years. Admittedly it was beginning to show signed of running out of ideas, but the camaraderie between the three was brilliant and it did become a guys having a blast type show still branded at Top Gear with "lads cars" thrown in to remind us it actually was a car show

There is now an opportunity for it to go back to its roots about cars, but not only that, trucks, motorbikes etc and as someone pointed out, with knowledge and information and creativity thrown in and excellent presenters in their own right this show could be back to its best in a new format.

Chris Evans is good, as a presenter, producer, and he has a love of cars without doubt. He is also rather "up" on his cars and does the Car Fest which is absolutely fantastic!

If the rumours are to be true, and Guy Martin is a co host, but more than likely pre-recorded type stuff as he tends to interact with the camera men and people interviewed and hands on, but again a very clever man, a deep interest and knowledge and passion for trucks, bikes and cars and he tells it how it is, might upset some folk but he is straight down the line. He would also be fantastic at challenges, anything involving speed would be right up his street

The fly in the ointment would be Jodie Kidd, she isn't great presenter, but CE may bring the best out of her, I would hope it's Suzie Perry to be fair, she is great with Cars and Motorbikes

I can't understand the hooha really, I for one am looking forward to it, and I wish Jezza, May and The Hamster well

We certainly cannot compare apples with pears here

Great post

I recall a programme about Breakfast TV in the UK
    They interviewed Bob Geldof (his company created The Big Breakfast) about why he appointed Chris Evans.

He said : "It was his big break, and was so important to him, that I KNEW he wouldn't screw it up"

Evans is not good at producing shows for other people to present - but when he is the host - and he believes in the project - it always works. (You can spot the ones he did just for the money !!)

Charlie Drake once said on the Bob Monkhouse show: "Think of commitment to a show like a plate of ham and eggs. The hen is involved, but the pig is totally committed"
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    There is now an opportunity for it to go back to its roots about cars, but not only that, trucks, motorbikes etc and as someone pointed out, with knowledge and information and creativity thrown in and excellent presenters in their own right this show could be back to its best in a new format

Stating "back to its best" suggests that you like car show. Now whilst there is nothing wrong with that, you are a small minority and it's not general entertainment. That is why that old format that you like so much died a death and the very reason why the general entertainment show that the 3 amigos developed took of to the worldwide success that it was.

Yes you will get your beloved car show back for two series (the arrogant BBC won't drop it after just one series even if it has one viewer) but then it will go the way it did in the past.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the crystal ball has made another appearance.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Charlie Drake once said on the Bob Monkhouse show: "Think of commitment to a show like a plate of ham and eggs. The hen is involved, but the pig is totally committed"

Great quote.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I see the crystal ball has made another appearance.

Dismissing everything and everyone in a most arrogant self-preening way, sure beats discussion. Best not to post if you have nothing to say.
  • openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC missed a trick by not giving the anchor slot to Chris Harris imo.

Very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and more likeable than Chris Evans.

A bit like Captain Slow only with driving prowess.

Doubt he would have cost 5m over three years either.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dismissing everything and everyone in a most arrogant self-preening way, sure beats discussion. Best not to post if you have nothing to say.

Well all you ever do is tell us all that it's doomed, that it's bound to fail, and how TG is dead. You seem to know before anyone else what the show is going to be, how long it will last before it's cancelled. Where is the discussion in your constant rants of failure? Judging by the comments coming out of the BBC you're a long way off the mark regarding content anyway, but I'm not sure we should be surprised by that. You're interested only in the fact that Clarkson & Co. are no longer a part of the show. Anything else is irrelevant in your mind.

Why not be like the rest of us and wait and see? None of us know what's going to happen, so stop pretending otherwise. You might get an opportunity to point and laugh, but equally it might turn out to be a positive for the show. It might win over fans of the old team, it might bring back some of those who felt pushed away by the old team.

All you do by guessing what will happen is create the possibility of egg on face.

I should leave you to it really, but your insistence on pointing out that you know what's going to happen is rather annoying, not that I expect it to change. Leopards and all that.
  • openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy Martin was interviewed by BBCNI at the NW200 in May and asked about the possibility of joining Top Gear. He ruled himself out of the running at the time as he didn't feel he would be interested in the jokey bloke camaraderie format that TG was famed for.