LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    wow, that is a shock, a phone of that price and no radio. I knew I should have looked in specs a bit better. Yes, I did mean FM radio. even cheap phones have them. if i had known then I would gone for a different phone.

Agree with the above link. You really don't need an FM radio, that's subject to signal availability.

Provided you have data (either wifi or 3G), you can have access to literally thousands of stations:

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radiotime.player&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDYsInJhZGlvdGltZS5wbGF5ZXIiXQ..

The Pro version allows you to record programmes to listen to later as well.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart P wrote: »
    Agree with the above link. You really don't need an FM radio, that's subject to signal availability.

Provided you have data (either wifi or 3G), you can have access to literally thousands of stations:

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radiotime.player&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDYsInJhZGlvdGltZS5wbGF5ZXIiXQ..

The Pro version allows you to record programmes to listen to later as well.

All very well if you got unlimited mobile internet and if the signal is 100% all the time.

I just had a look around and from what I have read, the Nexus could do FM, but Google is not enabling it.

Seems a bit silly to be honest, no doubt trying to get people to pay for it somehow is the reason.
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All very well if you got unlimited mobile internet and if the signal is 100% all the time.
    how much data do you have on your plan? and how much radio did you listen to on your previous phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a bit silly to be honest, no doubt trying to get people to pay for it somehow is the reason.
    hardly. this is 100% free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the lack of FM radio is a big issue for most people. My old Sony Xperia had it but the reception was useless most of the time so I just used TuneIn by default. There was actually a thread in the radio forum discussing how poorly FM Radio performs on most smartphones. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1498073 It's a bit like the pocket TVs of the 90s, a novelty that didn't work very well in practice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much data do you have on your plan? and how much radio did you listen to on your previous phone?

[/quote]

250mb now on the new plan, I knocked it down as I did not use it that much.
    I only listened to it on the way to work and back, now and again. i suppose in total about a hour or so a week.

But even so as I said the network have to be 100% all the time and that it is not.

that may be, but I bet Google done it for a reason in which they get money one way or another.
    If the chip is capable of FM radio then it is certainly not down to costs or space in the phone.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the lack of FM radio is a big issue for most people. My old Sony Xperia had it but the reception was useless most of the time so I just used TuneIn by default. There was actually a thread in the radio forum discussing how poorly FM Radio performs on most smartphones. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1498073 It's a bit like the pocket TVs of 90s, a novelty that didn't work very well in practice.

My S3 has it and i've never even run the app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only listened to it on the way to work and back, now and again. i suppose in total about a hour or so a week.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28652-17-listen-hour-radio-show-internet

if an in-built 'fm radio' is that important to you, why did you buy the n4 before researching it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the lack of FM radio is a big issue for most people. My old Sony Xperia had it but the reception was useless most of the time so I just used TuneIn by default. There was actually a thread in the radio forum discussing how poorly FM Radio performs on most smartphones. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1498073 It's a bit like the pocket TVs of the 90s, a novelty that didn't work very well in practice.

I know Fm radio can be a bit dodgy as the earphone acting as a aerial is not the best thing.

i will just have to cope without it simple as.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28652-17-listen-hour-radio-show-internet

if an in-built 'fm radio' is that important to you, why did you buy the n4 before researching it?

i thought I read that it had FM radio, must have read it wrong, I should have looked again I suppose before I ordered it.

Oh well.

Not even any headphones with the phone anyway. I was looking for them this morning, thinking I misplaced them or the cat had got them.

Had to look on a a unboxin video to see if they came with the phone, but they don't.

Not a problem, i been using the earphones from my old HTC anyway on my other phone I will transfer them to this one. in fact it will give me a excuse to buy a decent pair.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought I read that it had FM radio, must have read it wrong, I should have looked again I suppose before I ordered it.

Oh well.

Not even any headphones with the phone anyway. I was looking for them this morning, thinking I misplaced them or the cat had got them.

Had to look on a a unboxin video to see if they came with the phone, but they don't.

Not a problem, i been using the earphones from my old HTC anyway on my other phone I will transfer them to this one. in fact it will give me a excuse to buy a decent pair.

Not sure if this helps but I use and have did on my iPhone (no iPhones have FM radio built in either) too Sony MW600 Bluetooth headphones. They are under £30 and have build in controls for music as well as an FM radio.

Amazon link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Ericsson-MW-600-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B0038M3H4S/
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chav phones? they must have plenty of money then.

It would seem you get a free iphone with your Burberry baseball cap and Nike hoodie track suit, certainly down here in Wales lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Not sure if this helps but I use and have did on my iPhone (no iPhones have FM radio built in either) too Sony MW600 Bluetooth headphones. They are under £30 and have build in controls for music as well as an FM radio.

Amazon link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Ericsson-MW-600-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B0038M3H4S/

that looks good, I will have to have a closer look at that, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    It would seem you get a free iphone with your Burberry baseball cap and Nike hoodie track suit, certainly down here in Wales lol

i must admit, I do wonder how some people do afford these phones.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that looks good, I will have to have a closer look at that, thanks.

They are great i have a pair the battery lasts for ages too.
    They worked perfectly with Nexus 4 i had.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

But even so as I said the network have to be 100% all the time and that it is not.

I listen to Tunein when at work through 3G and it barely puts a dent in the data. I use it for about 4 hours at work. Why would you put data down on a smatphone though :confused:
    that may be, but I bet Google done it for a reason in which they get money one way or another.
    If the chip is capable of FM radio then it is certainly not down to costs or space in the phone.

Very few phones have FM radios in the,
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just had a look around and from what I have read, the Nexus could do FM, but Google is not enabling it.

Yes, I do have unlimited internet and I get great signal, which were both important things I researched and tested before I signed up for my contract, so I can use my phone the way I want.

I'm sorry, but you can't blame the phone because you did a poor job of researching both your contract (too little data) and the phone you bought (not having features you think are important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I listen to Tunein when at work through 3G and it barely puts a dent in the data. I use it for about 4 hours at work. Why would you put data down on a smatphone though :confused:

Yes, I do have unlimited internet and I get great signal, which were both important things I researched and tested before I signed up for my contract, so I can use my phone the way I want.

I'm sorry, but you can't blame the phone because you did a poor job of researching both your contract (too little data) and the phone you bought (not having features you think are important.

I think I just took it for granted that the phone would have FM radio, after all a cheap £20 phone a friend got got FM radio.

The reason why I cut down on the data was because I was not using it, no point in paying for something you not using. i had 500MB on old contract and I was not even using a quarter of it most of the time, relying on Wi-fi most of the time, apart from when out of range of Wi-fi like at work or at a friends place that don't have the internet.

Vodafone is suppose to be one of the better ones and around here they are, but their signal can still be a bit iffy on 3G, if I went on another network things would be worse signal wise.

Maybe I should have looked into things a bit more, but there you go these things happen. I will have to cope. at least it is only a 12 month contract.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

Don't many radio shows have podcasts now that you can download? If so perhaps noise could download a few before hand with wifi and then listen later, without needing your mobile data.
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Don't many radio shows have podcasts now that you can download? If so perhaps noise could download a few before hand with wifi and then listen later, without needing your mobile data.

I use radiodownloader to avoid podcasts and listen to the whole show as an MP3, however I also like to listen live. Get ''unlimited'', problem goes away.......
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Podcast don't use a lot of your download allowance nor do the like of tunein radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Nexus 4 anyone ....
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is going from bad to worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heidtheba wrote: »
    I use radiodownloader to avoid podcasts and listen to the whole show as an MP3, however I also like to listen live. Get ''unlimited'', problem goes away.......

i like to listen live as well, sometimes there is some thing interesting on as I am walking to work.

unlimited is not cheap and one of the whole points of buying a mobile was to cut down my monthly contract price.