Options

Dawn Barry From The Famous Preston Week of Come Dine with Me week has Died!

xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
Forum Member
:eek::(

She was in the best ever week of come dine with me along with Valerie (Pretend, Posh, Pheasant woman), Nigel (Gay, camp guy), Bernard (Massive Drama Queen) and Paul (The Normal One)

So Sad R.I.P Dawn
Dawn Barry was loved on Come Dine With Me for her eccentric personality - but behind her bubbly image, she hid a sadness that led this week to her suicide.

For over a decade, she had been seeking celebrity stardom on a string of reality television shows.

After appearing on Blind Date and Club Reps the glamorous salon owner from Lancashire finally shot to fame as a contestant on the TV cookery programme in January 2009.

Miss Barry, 38, was named on fan sites as the Channel 4 show's ‘best ever contestant’, causing endless amusement after becoming raucous and then suddenly falling asleep.

She drew gasps from viewers when she became tipsy on her own competition night and went to bed - leaving one of the other contestants to cook her meal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2443605/Come-Dine-With-Me-contestant-Dawn-Barry-dies-battle-alcoholism.html#ixzz2gkKI2jpn

Comments

• Options
    ivqiiivqii Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    That is sad

The "Cult of Celeb" has much to answer for
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please stop "quoting " the daily fail " the reasons for her death have NOT been made public, but simply that she has passed away but did have a big problem with the voddy. For all we know she may have had an accident while drunk.

Such a young age to be so unhappy with life.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is such sad news. i remember the Preston week, it was absolutely hilarious.
    RIP Dawn
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    She drew gasps from viewers

Only the Fail could come up with something like that. It gets more like OK every day.

Never heard of this lady, I don't watch reality shows, but she seems to be a victim of the ' desperate to be famous for having no talent and doing nothing' culture, which is very sad.

According to the paper she 'shot to fame ....'.
    Presumably only among the people who watch this programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While its sad news but best ever contestant? Who made that tosh up. She slept all evening on her night and didnt appear on someone elses because she drank too much. Hardly what id call a decent contestant.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    While its sad news but best ever contestant? Who made that tosh up. She slept all evening on her night and didnt appear on someone elses because she drank too much. Hardly what id call a decent contestant.

She was voted the best ever contestant by the viewers.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »

Which shows the sort of people who watch reality shows!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't she drive into a couple of parked cars outside a school as the kids were coming out? Dead drunk in the middle of the afternoon.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Didn't she drive into a couple of parked cars outside a school as the kids were coming out? Dead drunk in the middle of the afternoon.

Yes she did.
    It was obvious that she had a substance abuse problem, even on the original CDWM. It's sad that she couldn't overcome it.
    I personally wasn't surprised to read of her death. Still sad news though.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Which shows the sort of people who watch reality shows!
    All it shows is what some people that watched CDWM thought.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personly I didn't particularly like the Preston week as it isn't what the programme is about for me.None of the contestants were my favourites .
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad to hear the news. Preston week was by far the best week ever and Dawn was in my opinion the best person they've had on there. It's not just about the cooking it's about entertainment and Dawn was definitely good to watch. RIP Dawn
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ivqii wrote: »
    That is sad

Dont thousands of 'non celeb' people kill themselves every year too ?
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Yes.
    80% of them are men.
    I may be wrong but I don't think most of them would be doing it because of the cult of celebrity.

But if ivqii means the cult of celebrity leading people to be unhappy with their own lives and having unreal expectations of their future then I can see what he/she means in some cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes.
    80% of them are men.
    I may be wrong but I don't think most of them would be doing it because of the cult of celebrity.

But if ivqii means the cult of celebrity leading people to be unhappy with their own lives and having unreal expectations of their future then I can see what he/she means in some cases.

Yes Julian - thank you - that is exactly what I meant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »

Which viewers voted for her? I dont ever remember a show asking this. If she was the best contestant she wouldnt of got ratassed and fell asleep during her night and then not felt well the next day. No one else ever did this.

Seems typical BS from the mail.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Which viewers voted for her? I dont ever remember a show asking this. If she was the best contestant she wouldnt of got ratassed and fell asleep during her night and then not felt well the next day. No one else ever did this.

It was a countdown of like the top 20 or top 50 moments/contestants and either her as a contestant or her antics were voted number one by the voters.
  • Options
    Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    A cautionary tale of our times if the basics of this story are true
  • Options
    Forum Member

But amongst people who watch things like this (&I used to watch it & vaguely remember this incident) she is likely to be voted highly because she will be remembered
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ivqii wrote: »
    That is sad

She was hardly a "celeb". She also obviously had mental health and addiction issues before she ever appeared on this programme.
    Sad news indeed RIP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the sympathy is strong with you lot. On the other thread, people seemed a lot more kinder about a woman who has just died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But amongst people who watch things like this (&I used to watch it & vaguely remember this incident) she is likely to be voted highly because she will be remembered

Only because the mail put it as a newsworthy item.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I see the sympathy is strong with you lot. On the other thread, people seemed a lot more kinder about a woman who has just died.

If you read the thread it is concentrating on

1. The current definition of celebrity
    2. What is newsworthy.

A lot of people who allowed & encouraged this obviously damaged person on to our screens should be taking a hard look at themselves but of course this poor woman is just collateral damage in the search for ratings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »

Get your head out of your anus

I can see not a single post expressing any lack of sympathy here
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    So sad to hear the news. Preston week was by far the best week ever and Dawn was in my opinion the best person they've had on there. It's not just about the cooking it's about entertainment and Dawn was definitely good to watch. RIP Dawn

She had obvious addiction issues before she went on the programme and you found this entertaining? Jeez!

RIP