Options

Isohunt's closing down

JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
Forum Member
Another one of the major torrent sites are biting the dust:

http://www.neowin.net/news/bittorrent-site-isohunt-shutting-down-thanks-to-settlement-with-movie-studios

(No idea where to put this if it's not up already)

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest, i'm surprised isohunt has lasted this long.

i guess the size of the lawsuit gave him no choice really. Can't say i'll miss it though as i've not really used it that much for some years.

Waiting for the "People still use torrents?" response in 3...2...1... ;)
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the golden age of piracy draws to a close :rolleyes:

Shame that isohunt is going but there are plenty of other ways to see USA shows at USA pace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the golden age of piracy draws to a close :rolleyes:

Wait, isn't that someone else's line ? :D

With the number of pirate bay proxies available, it's probably the go-to site for torrents for many people at the moment.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait, isn't that someone else's line ? :D

Yes it is but don't ever recall it being copyrighted to a particular poster. So thought that I would beat them to it with a sarcastic smiley, we all know that 1 site shuts & 10 open in it's place. :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The industry's huffing and puffing again, I see. Doesn't really matter because others will just get created after this gets shut down. The head ones in the industry have to be completely dense! Do they honestly think they'll win this fight against copyrighted material being downloaded? They must be completely thick if they do. They're just basically using money to keep their egos intact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always the owners of these sites that actually understand how the industry should work ..
    He also said the industry could render sites like IsoHunt obsolete if it offered simultaneous releases worldwide, as well as digital offerings that were cheaper than physical copies.

His thoughts echoed findings by a trio of researchers at George Mason University in Virginia, US.

Their site piracydata.org has been collating the weekly top 10 most-pirated films and investigating whether legal digital methods were available.

They found that half of the movies in the list were not available to access legally online. Furthermore, none of the 10 titles could be streamed - arguably the most straightforward way to consume media online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24580130

Piracy will never be fully eradicated, but if the studios and other businesses pulled their collective heads out of their behinds, I think they could put enough of a dent in it to render it no more than an minor inconvenience.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    i guess the size of the lawsuit gave him no choice really. Can't say i'll miss it though as i've not really used it that much for some years.

Waiting for the "People still use torrents?" response in 3...2...1... ;)

I do not think Isohunt will be missed.

Can someone explain to me this "People still use torrents" thing, what do people use instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    I do not think Isohunt will be missed.

Can someone explain to me this "People still use torrents" thing, what do people use instead?

I think a lot of people tend to use IRC-related things and other things I really don't understand :)
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people tend to use IRC-related things and other things I really don't understand :)

Oh Thank you.:) I thought i was missing something as straightforward as a torrent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    google is the best torrent site

just google [nameofwhatuwant] torrent
    simple

do people still use irc....i used to use that all time
    /me away to download irc :)
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never actually found Isohunt much good. Much prefer The Pirate Bay, or even KickassTorrents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »

simple

I couldn't get the hang of IRC when I tried it back in 2004. I just went back to using Kazaa when it was very popular. I then started using torrents after being told about them.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member

Christ! I was using IRC about a decade ago and moved away from it and onto torrents. For me that's a backward step. I was even a moderator on some sites. :o
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started recording Glee s3 when it aired on pick- but I'd already lost interest - so just deleted it sight unseen...
    I'd have kept interest if Channel 4 had kept it...
  • Options
    Nick_HeywardNick_Heyward Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »

simple

Yeah, and see a lot of the results replaced with a message saying that in response to a DMCA complaint blah blah, etc etc! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like they've decided to shut up shop before the original close down date of wednesday. That will be that then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sadly the downloading of torrents service from Isohunt has been stopped.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not to worry isohunt is now back with an .ee extention and hosted in Australia.

These lawsuits make me laugh, its like closing down a drug den but then have to watch while the dealers re-open next door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gouldy26 wrote: »

And you should read all of this thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1904848

Easily worked around (even for virgin subscribers) ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Makes no difference. A lot of people will manage to get around the block.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    oh i know the work arounds, just a pain in the a$$
    they'll soon start closing/blocking the proxy sites down to

doesnt matter how you look at this, its not good news
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i know the work arounds, just a pain in the a$$
    they'll soon start closing/blocking the proxy sites down to

doesnt matter how you look at this, its not good news

:confused:
    Pain in the backside to do a work around.

You dont need a work around, just google
    isohunt.ee/ or pirate bay etc etc dead easy, so :confused: as to how youre doing it the hard way?

2 clicks of mouse gets you what you want, whats hard about that?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    :confused:
    Pain in the backside to do a work around.

You dont need a work around, just google
    isohunt.ee/ or pirate bay etc etc dead easy, so :confused: as to how youre doing it the hard way?

2 clicks of mouse gets you what you want, whats hard about that?

Personally I just use Immunicity, no VPNs, Proxies or workarounds needed.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filestube's gone too, which is a shame because I used that site to download new episodes of The Walking Dead.

The Judges say it's about illegal downloading of music. I can say I have never downloaded ANY music from any site. I don't like modern music anyway. I like 1980s stuff and you can see and hear that on YouTube.