Fave Oasis album?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Reading that they were reissuing the first three albums this year because Definetly Maybe is 20 years old made me want to relisten to all their albums.

I am quite the Oasis stan so even the worst one (Dig Out Your Soul) still has its moments for me. The Masterplan was wasted as a B Sides album it contains songs that are better than the ones on "Be Here Now"

Pick your fave 60 votes

Definetly Maybe (1994)
45% 27 votes
(What's the Story) Morning Glory? (1995)
45% 27 votes
Be Here Now (1997)
1% 1 vote
The Masterplan (1998)
3% 2 votes
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (2000)
1% 1 vote
Heathen Chemistry (2002)
1% 1 vote
Don't Believe the Truth (2005)
1% 1 vote
Dig Out Your Soul (2008)
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway my fave is most definetly Whats the Story as it not just a perfect album up there alongside The Verve's Urban Hymns but its just full of great memories of that great 1995 - 96 era.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Anyway my fave is most definetly Whats the Story as it not just a perfect album up there alongside The Verve's Urban Hymns but its just full of great memories of that great 1995 - 96 era.

This is precisely what i think. there has never been another Indie record quite like it since in my opinion, every track is an anthem!
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's The Story for me too - Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, She's Electric, Don't Look Back..., Some Might Say, Roll With It. Awesome songs.

My favourite Oasis song is actually from Heathen Chemistry, but overall What's The Story by far.
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    It's Definitely Maybe for me. Always has been. The greatest album of all time IMO. And Oasis best. I can see why the casual fan prefer Morning Glory though. Live Forever....
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No question about it...Definitely Maybe....all the other albums pale in comparison.

Never got the fuss over What's The Story, to highly polished, lacked the raw energy of the first album, perfect in a stadium with it's anthem tunes for everybody to sing along to, but not so great at home.

I gave up after Be Here Now.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to What's The Story for the first time in about 15 years the other day, I really enjoyed it.

But Definitely Maybe for me. Brilliant tunes throughout!

I haven't heard any of their other albums, I didn't like any of the singles from Be Here Now so lost interest in them.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Definitely Maybe for me too. They never captured that magical sound again, they'd already changed their sound by the time What's The Story came out, not that that's not a brilliant album though. Be Here Now as Noel said was just a product of its time, they had shit loads of money, drinking and taking drugs and they just thrashed it out. Would've been interesting to what happened if they'd gone on a break after Knebworth.

They pretty much became a different band when Gem and Andy joined, some decent tracks here and there with the later stuff but they'd lost the magic by then and had just become Oasis.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely maybe. They never came close to the brilliance of their debut album. However I think that what's the story morning glory, The Master plan and dig out your soul are good albums in their own right.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprising they remained popular as nearly everyone thinks they peaked in the Bonehead & Guigsy years.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years later...how time flys! To simply sum Oasis up it goes without saying the first two are out and out classics. I get fed up of people trying to be clever and more hard core by saying they didn't like Morning Glory, but each to their own if that's how they feel. Funnily enough at the time of me writing this is the run away leader of the poll is Morning Glory which shows what the real public fave is even if the comments don't reflect that.

The B-sides were incredible too. Lets face it, if Noel had just saved some of the best songs used as B-Sides the 3rd album would have never have been so patchy. Still it added up to The Masterplan being a great album simply by collecting some of the best B-sides together.

Out of the other albums for me Don't Believe the Truth was rather good as well but I suspect by that time most had got fed up of them. In retrospect their other albums usually had about 2 or 3 really great tunes on and then the rest was filler. I suppose those 2 or 3 really great songs per album were better than a lot of their peers though.

Edit: If they went downhill when Gem and co. joined the band in place of the old members does that mean Bonehead was the real talent all along:D;-)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get what people are saying about Definetly Maybe as in many ways it truly is their best work.

Whats the Story just has more memorable appeal for me though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    btw lol @ not one vote for any of their 2000s works
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have them all and all their singles and B-Sides, and IMO Heathen Chemistry was definitely the worst.

DM was the best!
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yellow Submarine
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    they are a band that overhyped themselves but actually were amazing songwriters ..they are so interesting...and were interesting because of their arrogance and self belief (something unusual for British culture)... and you can see their influence on many bands/artists in recent years... they certainly have a legacy of their own... I couldn't choose between the first two albums... they were great stellar albums. But I agree there are hidden gems to be found on others albums too.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 years later...how time flys! To simply sum Oasis up it goes without saying the first two are out and out classics. I get fed up of people trying to be clever and more hard core by saying they didn't like Morning Glory, but each to their own if that's how they feel. Funnily enough at the time of me writing this is the run away leader of the poll is Morning Glory which shows what the real public fave is even if the comments don't reflect that.

The B-sides were incredible too. Lets face it, if Noel had just saved some of the best songs used as B-Sides the 3rd album would have never have been so patchy. Still it added up to The Masterplan being a great album simply by collecting some of the best B-sides together.

Out of the other albums for me Don't Believe the Truth was rather good as well but I suspect by that time most had got fed up of them. In retrospect their other albums usually had about 2 or 3 really great tunes on and then the rest was filler. I suppose those 2 or 3 really great songs per album were better than a lot of their peers though.

Edit: If they went downhill when Gem and co. joined the band in place of the old members does that mean Bonehead was the real talent all along:D;-)?

I said they became a different band. And more up and down than just downhill. Dig Out Your Soul and Heathen Chemistry are great.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Maybe and What's The Story are absoltuely phenomonal albums.. But I do think Definitely Maybe is the better of the two.

There are some gems on the other albums but nothing will ever top those two... EVER!!
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    they are a band that overhyped themselves but actually were amazing songwriters ..they are so interesting...and were interesting because of their arrogance and self belief (something unusual for British culture)... and you can see their influence on many bands/artists in recent years... they certainly have a legacy of their own... I couldn't choose between the first two albums... they were great stellar albums. But I agree there are hidden gems to be found on others albums too.

I never saw them as amazing songwriters. Technically, their music is very basic and uncomplicated and some of the lyrics and verses are pretty rubbish. I tended to like the songs Noel sang (The Masterplan, Half the World Away, Don't look back in an anger etc) in preference to Liam's sneering whine.

What I think Oasis were, were very lucky. They happened to appear on the eve of a "change" in the mid-nineties, at the time that people were really in need of something to feel good about in Britain, and they rode that particular "Britpop" wave with aplomb.

The songs were simple, shouty anthems that everybody could get behind, even me at Maine Road in 1996. It was a great era all round really, and Oasis became the poster boys for it.

Definitely Maybe just edges it, but I don't much listen to it these days. Of its time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I never saw them as amazing songwriters. Technically, their music is very basic and uncomplicated and some of the lyrics and verses are pretty rubbish. I tended to like the songs Noel sang (The Masterplan, Half the World Away, Don't look back in an anger etc) in preference to Liam's sneering whine.

What I think Oasis were, were very lucky. They happened to appear on the eve of a "change" in the mid-nineties, at the time that people were really in need of something to feel good about in Britain, and they rode that particular "Britpop" wave with aplomb.

The songs were simple, shouty anthems that everybody could get behind, even me at Maine Road in 1996. It was a great era all round really, and Oasis became the poster boys for it.

Definitely Maybe just edges it, but I don't much listen to it these days. Of its time.

I also prefer Noels voice but lets not exaggerate on Liam's as in the studio its a very pleasant voice its just live it tends to grate at times.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kippeh: C'mon it was nothing to do with getting lucky, Oasis made their own luck. They became massive because they worked their socks off and in their golden period they had the great tunes of their era. You can say the songs are simple, but I would say writing a simple truly catchy song that goes straight into peoples hearts is actually the hardest thing in the world. If everybody could do it, they would do.

At the time their Beatleseque retro sound was the total opposite of the manufactured pop bands, American grunge, and cheesy dance tracks than dominated the early 90’s music scene. They showed people a different way and that is why they had such an impact. Of course nothing lasts forever and it all ended in a lot of idiotic twattery, but even you admit it was great at the time.

P.S. To the chap who seemed to take my Bonehead remark as a personal sniping remark it twas was a light hearted joke. The thought of Bonehead being the real songwriting talent all along just appeals to my silly sense of humour. Or even better Guigsy:D!
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Kippeh: C'mon it was nothing to do with getting lucky, Oasis made their own luck. They became massive because they worked their socks off and in their golden period they had the great tunes of their era. You can say the songs are simple, but I would say writing a simple truly catchy song that goes straight into peoples hearts is actually the hardest thing in the world. If everybody could do it, they would do.

At the time their Beatleseque retro sound was the total opposite of the manufactured pop bands, American grunge, and cheesy dance tracks than dominated the early 90’s music scene. They showed people a different way and that is why they had such an impact. Of course nothing lasts forever and it all ended in a lot of idiotic twattery, but even you admit it was great at the time.

P.S. To the chap who seemed to take my Bonehead remark as a personal sniping remark it twas was a light hearted joke. The thought of Bonehead being the real songwriting talent all along just appeals to my silly sense of humour. Or even better Guigsy:D!

I'm not denying that they had put the work in, but in my opinion they epitomise the idea of a band who were just the right thing, at the right time. A bit like the original Star Wars. It's not technically a great film, but it seemed to be what people needed at that time when it was released, so enjoyed a kind of zeitgeist effect.

There was a tiredness in the UK at the time, and the whole Britpop thing was almost a cultural change that people were screaming out for. It coincided with that "Cool Britannia" thing and the optimism in the run up to the elections when we finally ended years of Tory government (didn't work out too well with Labour of course, but we weren't to know that at the time) Oasis seemed to be the musical figurehead of that whole wave of (mostly excellent) British bands that appeared at that time, but I wouldn't say they were the best musically.
  • souldriftersouldrifter Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to the Be Here Now reissue, if those elusive Mystique demos that Noel recorded in 96 get released then we will have a stripped down version of the album albeit with Noel on vocals.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Did Guigsy even play on the albums?
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first two albums are stunning. What's The Story is in my top 5 favourite albums ever:)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely Maybe.

What's The Story is OK, but as someone above says, a bit too polished. After that, we were promised every time that a new one was released that this one was going to be Oasis back to form. It never happened.