Three phases out "The One Plan" and Unlimited tethering

Comments

• coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    Photos and web graphics loaded fine, embedded video obviously didn't stream once the 500mb / month allocation had been used. Apart from that, surfing websites, bidding on ebay, posting here etc, looked no different than from any other internet connection.

I Never downloaded files when on the old one, but I suspect it won't be permitted.

But for what is effectively about £4.50 a month its worth a punt - I've paid far more than that just to access a hotel wi-fi for 24 hours!

Is this SIM offer usually available from different sellers or only this particular ebay seller? It says Limited quantity remaining, so im wondering if it's a limited time offer.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what's to stop people transferring their viewing habits to 'phablets'? We're back to square one. I have this awful feeling, considering they've already partially withdrawn AYCE for PAYG users that AYCE is living on borrowed time and as trust is eroded with Three, who's to say that AYCE won't go in a year or two?

I topped up £15 the other day and I was still was able to buy the All in one 15 with AYCE data.

Its not been withdrawn from the £15 PAYG yet.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they are not offering it for 3G though so if you don't have a 4G compatible one you are going to have to get a 4G phone to take advantage of the offer.

So that's even more money (a lot more) that people will have to fork out just for sake of getting a sim that gives you 10GB of data each month.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this SIM offer usually available from different sellers or only this particular ebay seller? It says Limited quantity remaining, so im wondering if it's a limited time offer.

If you search on Ebay there have been / are other vendors selling the same Sims, this particular one is just a link taken from my Ebay watch list as i've suspected that this would be coming for some time now :) - if you search for "T-mobile 6 month" and "T-mobile 12 month" you'll probably find more.

"Limited Quantity" is great marketing, its like the DFS Sales...... ;-) I suspect even if he / she runs out, it will be back in a few days!.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Just had an interesting call with Three cancellations...

Just called stating that I am aware of the One Plan being discontinued and I was looking at my options as i am able to leave (as i am on a 30 day One Plan sim)

He asked if I had got the text. I said no, but am aware of people who have.

He then told me only certain customers were being text and that they would not move me off the plan I am on and I can stay on it for as long as I want. I questioned this and he repeated it. I then asked why my friend who is also on the same plan as me got a text and I haven't. He said he couldn't comment on that and that once again I can stay on the plan for as long as I like.

I asked what criteria was being used to send the messages out. He said he couldn't comment.

I asked him to note my account with what he said. He agreed to do this (not that it will make a blind bit of difference).... he then said that "Most customers were being moved - the ones on the One Plan for example...". I then reminded him that I was on the One Plan but then he said that as I had not got the text I can stay on it.

I'm sure that he's talking out of his ar*e. When I get the text and ring that number, I'll ask them to read the note placed today.

Why couldn't Three have just sent a text with a weblink so customers could read about the proposed changes instead of insisting on customers calling them? Very poorly managed IMHO.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    If you search on Ebay there have been / are other vendors selling the same Sims, this particular one is just a link taken from my Ebay watch list as i've suspected that this would be coming for some time now :) - if you search for "T-mobile 6 month" and "T-mobile 12 month" you'll probably find more.

"Limited Quantity" is great marketing, its like the DFS Sales...... ;-) I suspect even if he / she runs out, it will be back in a few days!.

I have a Huawei E1750 USB mobile broadband dongle from when I was on Three mobile broadband. I guess that the dongle must be unlocked for this SIM to be used with it.

Is it likely that this dongle is unlocked and the SIM can be used in it?
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it likely that this dongle is unlocked and the SIM can be used in it?

If it was supplied by '3' then its unlikely to be unlocked, but you have nothing to lose by trying. If it is locked then it may be possible to get it unlocked from somewhere. Most high streets, markets, computer fairs and even car boot sales usually produce someone who can unlock them.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three will unlock devices for free, http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Device_Unlock

Any phone/device bought from Three after 1st January 2014 should already be unlocked.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    I topped up £15 the other day and I was still was able to buy the All in one 15 with AYCE data.

Its not been withdrawn from the £15 PAYG yet.

So did I only last week and currently using it.

So just where is all this speculating scaremongering coming from?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did I only last week and currently using it.

So just where is all this speculating scaremongering coming from?

The £15 Add-on changed from AYCE data to 3GB on the Three website recently (but only for a few hours) leading to speculation that they might be planning to end AYCE on the £15 Add-on.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setting aside the claims that some were trying to scare others and talking nonsense when the tethering was capped on new price plans, the notion was that 3 would never change terms and conditions that would affect existing customers. They seem to be about to do just that and possibly more than any other network has ever done before.

Has there ever been a time when a network has made a tariff defunct and moved both rolling monthly and post paid out of commitment customers to an alternative? In most cases networks have been happy to let customers remain on their original tariff for as long as they wanted.

Of course there is the rule about detriment and customers can leave but this looks like a first in terms of the scale of the change being made and the numbers it affects. I think all customers of all networks now have to consider that their commitment period or rolling period is the only time when they have a guarantee of maintain the original terms that they agreed to.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setting aside the claims that some were trying to scare others

dat irony
    and talking nonsense when the tethering was capped on new price plans, the notion was that 3 would never change terms and conditions that would affect existing customers. They seem to be about to do just that and possibly more than any other network has ever done before.

After any minimum term has expired. Not mid-contract.

I don't recall anyone saying that 3 was going to let people stay on these plans forever.
    Has there ever been a time when a network has made a tariff defunct and moved both rolling monthly and post paid out of commitment customers to an alternative? In most cases networks have been happy to let customers remain on their original tariff for as long as they wanted.

I think all customers of all networks now have to consider that their commitment period or rolling period is the only time when they have a guarantee of maintain the original terms that they agreed to.

Like pretty much every contract ever, then. Have you ever rented a place before? Where the landlord usually hikes the rent after the tenancy is either due for renewal or goes periodic? Or better yet, they decide to evict you if you refuse to renew or agree to the new price?

During the minimum term, you agree to commit yourself to paying the agreed rate for the period, and 3 agree not to drastically change the terms. Once it's over, you're free to leave, downgrade or whatever, and 3 are free to change the terms if they feel like it.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course there is the rule about detriment and customers can leave but this looks like a first in terms of the scale of the change being made and the numbers it affects.

That rule isn't really relevant - Three are invoking their 30 day right to change the contract (though it seems they're actually giving 60 days notice, at least via SMS), likewise customers can invoke their 30 day notice and leave Three (and if they're porting their number elsewhere, then Three won't hold them to that 30 days).
    I think all customers of all networks now have to consider that their commitment period or rolling period is the only time when they have a guarantee of maintain the original terms that they agreed to.

Yep - might make 12 month SIM-only contracts a more popular choice among customers (maybe even 18 month or 2 year SIM-only contracts...).

Could become like motor insurance, where you really need to shop around each year (if only to get the renewal quote from your existing insurer down).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for those responses. It is new territory in the mobile sector as far as I can gather to substantially alter terms of an existing contract or rolling agreement. Obviously, needs dictate what has to be done in this instance. I agree that shopping around when out if commitment is a must to get maximum value for money especially if you decide to retain your existing handset.

What will happen to existing One Plan customers if they do nothing after January? If they go above their new 4GB capoed monthly tethering allowance will they be throttled or have their service affected in another way?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will happen to existing One Plan customers if they do nothing after January? If they go above their 4GB monthly allowance will they be throttled or have their service affected in another way?

People have said that 3 plan to move everyone onto the 23 quid a month plan which is basically the same but without unlimited tethering.

IMO if they offered everyone that plan for the same price as they are paying now, or a modest increase it probably wouldn't be so bad. But an extra 8GBP a month is a bit steep. If I don't get a good deal I'll probably go down to the cheapest plan with unlimited data.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    People have said that 3 plan to move everyone onto the 23 quid a month plan which is basically the same but without unlimited tethering.

... except you'll drop from 2000 mins (plus 5000 3-3 mins) to 600 mins.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Thanks for those responses. It is new territory in the mobile sector as far as I can gather to substantially alter terms of an existing contract or rolling agreement.

No, it isn't. All the networks have changed terms of existing contracts at some time or other, I can think of it happening on T-Mobile, Orange, O2 and Vodafone, when those changes are detrimental the customer has been entitled to early termination (sometimes with quite a fight to get it, all the way to CISAS).

Rolling agreements have always been open to changes to terms with 30 days notice.

Honestly wavejock, go home, your village is missing you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know people who have remained on the same contract for years and have simply upgraded their handsets with the same allowances as before. What 3 are doing is discontinuing a tariff and forcing customers to either accept a new tariff or leave. That is unusual. In the past those on older contracts were usually at a disadvantage as prices became lower and benefits increased. This must be the first time customers are being forced off a contract on to a lower value plan.

Is there any evidence of another provider forcing customers to accept lower allowances or leave the network?
  • SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I just wonder if three will use the promotional pricing of The One Plan as leverage to try and sneak people onto a higher tarriff. I'm paying £15 but the real price is listed as £25. I hope the current £15 unlimited data plan is still around when my contract expires, but I wouldnt be surprised if they get rid of the cheaper AYCE plans when they start dumping people off the one plan.
    It is new territory in the mobile sector as far as I can gather to substantially alter terms of an existing contract or rolling agreement.

No it bloody well isn't. O2 did it years ago with data allowances and others have been more than happy to muck around with prices mid-contract.

Three can't change your contract mid-term now without giving people the option to leave, so they are doing the sensible thing of allowing people to see out their contracts at the price and terms that they agreed to when taking them out. Things most other providers never did and they were the main reason Ofcom stepped in and made the new rules.
  • NathDoggNathDogg Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I am on the 30 day one plan currently paying £18/month.

I haven't received the text from three yet inviting me to talk to them, but I may call them regardless and see what they say.

Although the unlimited tethering was nice, the truth is I personally never used it and average about 3-4GB of handset data a month.

I would be happy to move onto the new one plan equivalent for the same price as I'm paying now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skie wrote: »
    No it bloody well isn't. O2 did it years ago with data allowances and others have been more than happy to muck around with prices mid-contract

Can some evidence of that be provided?

Some of the networks have maintained the right to revise pricing mid-contract and when it is justified by inflation increases customers seem to accept that.

I am not aware of any network telling customers they can no longer enjoy the benefits of their current contracts and being forced onto something less advantagous.

3's take our amended terms or leave alternative looks quite unique.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had an interesting call with Three cancellations...

Just called stating that I am aware of the One Plan being discontinued and I was looking at my options as i am able to leave (as i am on a 30 day One Plan sim)

He asked if I had got the text. I said no, but am aware of people who have.

He then told me only certain customers were being text and that they would not move me off the plan I am on and I can stay on it for as long as I want. I questioned this and he repeated it. I then asked why my friend who is also on the same plan as me got a text and I haven't. He said he couldn't comment on that and that once again I can stay on the plan for as long as I like.

I asked what criteria was being used to send the messages out. He said he couldn't comment.

I asked him to note my account with what he said. He agreed to do this (not that it will make a blind bit of difference).... he then said that "Most customers were being moved - the ones on the One Plan for example...". I then reminded him that I was on the One Plan but then he said that as I had not got the text I can stay on it.

I'm sure that he's talking out of his ar*e. When I get the text and ring that number, I'll ask them to read the note placed today.

Why couldn't Three have just sent a text with a weblink so customers could read about the proposed changes instead of insisting on customers calling them? Very poorly managed IMHO.

Have we actually heard of anyone with low data usage, who has received the text message? We have two contracts in the household, one 12 month SIM only contact running till end of January and one 1 month SIM only contract, no text yet.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Have we actually heard of anyone with low data usage, who has received the text message? We have two contracts in the household, one 12 month SIM only contact running till end of January and one 1 month SIM only contract, no text yet.

Yeh, there have been a few people who have been texted with usage under 5GB.
  • Carl_BoysCarl_Boys Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    all ya can eat data and all ya can eat minutes 4gb personal hotspot 30day contract £17 a month was the best i could get, they agreed to keep my loyalty discount, still £3 more for less but no other network compares, i use about 18gb/22gb a month. i could restrict down to 15gb for cheap if need be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... except you'll drop from 2000 mins (plus 5000 3-3 mins) to 600 mins.

Oh, I didn't see that. Bit of a pain if you need that many minutes.

Looks very much like they need the cash for this "free" 4G.