Find a name from a number...

DanielWhitDanielWhit Posts: 2,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know of how I can find the name of a person from a phone number?

Comments

• MisanthropeMisanthrope Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    Yes, Its possible..I'm not being funny but can I ask the reason why ? I'd hate to help some nutter out :p

EDIT...Never mind we no longer have the software at work anyway sorry
  • WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielWhit wrote:
    Does anyone know of how I can find the name of a person from a phone number?

Its illegal to reverse look up a number unless you are connected to the authorities in some way.
    Forum Member
    Interesting, I'm sure that will be the reason we no longer have the software at work, several years ago we had a cd-rom with the phone books for the UK one of its features was the ability to reverse lookup numbers in there..I never used it myself so am not 100% sure of the details (and even if what I suggest about reverse lookup being one of its functions was true) but it was definately a commercial product..

Do you know if this was something that has recently become law or has it always been the case..

Just interested really? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I'm sure that will be the reason we no longer have the software at work, several years ago we had a cd-rom with the phone books for the UK one of its features was the ability to reverse lookup numbers in there..I never used it myself so am not 100% sure of the details (and even if what I suggest about reverse lookup being one of its functions was true) but it was definately a commercial product..

Do you know if this was something that has recently become law or has it always been the case..

Just interested really? :)

Actually got the legalities from BT when I was having some funny phone calls about 12 months back when I tried to trace a number.

I do not know how long the laws have been in effect.
    Forum Member
    I just had a bit of a google and apparently a German company used to sell these disks in the UK, however BT took legal actions to suspend their sale..Its not immediately apparent the result of this action, the only sites I can find are quite dated (around 2000) and just say a legal decision is pending..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a bit of a google and apparently a German company used to sell these disks in the UK, however BT took legal actions to suspend their sale..Its not immediately apparent the result of this action, the only sites I can find are quite dated (around 2000) and just say a legal decision is pending..

The law obviously goes back at least a few years.
    Forum Member
    Apparently its to do with the ECs ...The Directive on Privacy and Electronic Communications..Implimented in 2003
    introduces new information and consent requirements on entries in publicly available directories, including a requirement that subscribers are informed of all the usage possibilities of publicly available directories - e.g. reverse searching from a telephone number in order to obtain a name and address;

It would seem BTs action in 2000 was to do with who owned the rights to phone numbers !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently its to do with the ECs ...The Directive on Privacy and Electronic Communications..Implimented in 2003

It would seem BTs action in 2000 was to do with who owned the rights to phone numbers !!!

you and google have been busy! :D
    Forum Member
    Widdy wrote:
    you and google have been busy! :D

Yeah.. I really must get a hobby or something... :)
  • Brian FantanaBrian Fantana Posts: 3,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it still illegal?
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Is it still illegal?

No it's changed back again now, they just decided it was silly so they changed it back to the old system and got rid of the 2003 law. :o

Of course it's still illegal lol
  • Brian FantanaBrian Fantana Posts: 3,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intheknow wrote:
    No it's changed back again now, they just decided it was silly so they changed it back to the old system and got rid of the 2003 law. :o

Of course it's still illegal lol

Don't be an arse. Its not a completely stupid question, some laws have been changed you know.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Widdy wrote:
    Its illegal to reverse look up a number unless you are connected to the authorities in some way.

If you found someones address in this way - and got your collar felt for it - you could always argue that if that person is in the phone book, you could have read it cover to cover to find that same information, so all you've done is speeded up the process?

What really makes the difference? If the person is listed it means that details are available to all, so who is anyone to dictate whether you should be able to find out the hard, or the easy way, the infomation that's there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    If you're after a name from a mobile number then no, it cannot be done without breaking the Data Protection Act which would get you in a whole world of trouble. If someone working for the relevant network did a look-up for you, they'd face prosecution too.

BT used to have something like a 'phonebook on a disk', not sure if they still do it but that's for landlines only.

Evevn the directory enquiry companies wouldn't be able to do it (I used to work for 118888) - they search on the name, not the number - but in any case, they list landlines only.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a business number then the chances are a Google search will find it in one of the following formats

"01159505050"
    "0115 9 50 50 50"
    "01159 50 50 50"
    "0115 950 5050"

(If it's a five digit code then try "01159 505 050")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Try reversemobile.com or just google 'reverse numbers' and you will bring up a zillion sites. No idea how legal it is, and from I remember you have to pay for the info, plus if it's a prepaid mobile number it's unlikely to be listed anywhere, but if you want to try it....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its only possible if the person has agreed to have their details put in the phone book.

Even if you work for the network you are not allowed to view random peoples details for no reason as this is breaking the Data Protection Act.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lil_me wrote:
    Try reversemobile.com or just google 'reverse numbers' and you will bring up a zillion sites. No idea how legal it is, and from I remember you have to pay for the info, plus if it's a prepaid mobile number it's unlikely to be listed anywhere, but if you want to try it....

The site you mention only appears to apply to US numbers.
    If you restrict the google search to UK sites only, you get 92 sites most of which either confirm that reverse look up is illegal in the UK or link to reverse look up sites for US numbers (plus quite a few about dyscalculia)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    We there is a Uk site that offers this info for free www.mobilenumbers.org.uk - you have to join it to be in it - and there is other info on the site to help quests elsewhere.
  • glastofestglastofest Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    websi7 wrote: »
    We there is a Uk site that offers this info for free www.mobilenumbers.org.uk - you have to join it to be in it - and there is other info on the site to help quests elsewhere.

Badly coded site. Stay away from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The comment on bad coding of www.mobilenumbers.org.uk is unfounded this is a NEW site

There is a similar site that is bad coded etc
    www.mobilenumbers.org ( no UK)

Maybe worth checking both sites!!!!
  • glastofestglastofest Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The comment on bad coding of www.mobilenumbers.org.uk is unfounded this is a NEW site

You are kidding? It looks like the home page was written by an year old.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    How does that website get away with (badly)copying big chunks from other sites?

Astonishing, that anyone would put their details on there.
  • Toilet-DuckToilet-Duck Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is a similar site that is bad coded etc
    www.mobilenumbers.org ( no UK)

Maybe worth checking both sites!!!!

Only 2 posts and both of them are advertising his site SCAM :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Looking at the site, it doesn't tell you anything you can't find out via BT, OFCOM and a couple of goole type searches!

Reverse Number searches are not in themselves illegal, many mobile and landline number are in the public domain, and search sites will pick them up quite lawfully.

It becomes unlawful for Operators, and Authorities to release the information that is bound by a number of laws, and it isn't that easy for the police to trace number either, don't forget a number of mobile users never register their phones. So although you can get cell site information and even messages and numbers called, it doesn't always tell you who is using the phone!