I hate PlayTV!!!

GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello,

Okay this is a bit of a rant but I have been using PlayTV for years but in the last year or so it really has started working like s**t.

I have tried reinstalling it, deleting game data, deleting save data, restoring the file system, rebuilding the database.... and nothing helps.

In it current state it fails to switch its self off and crashes the entire system if I record something that lasts over an hour.

Also I was trying to set a series link yesterday and every time i tried it it froze the entire system.

I can't be the only person who has issues like this?

Gormond.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Dont use it but not sure if there might be more info in this thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1715895
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Hello,

Okay this is a bit of a rant but I have been using PlayTV for years but in the last year or so it really has started working like s**t.

I have tried reinstalling it, deleting game data, deleting save data, restoring the file system, rebuilding the database.... and nothing helps.

In it current state it fails to switch its self off and crashes the entire system if I record something that lasts over an hour.

Also I was trying to set a series link yesterday and every time i tried it it froze the entire system.

I can't be the only person who has issues like this?

Gormond.

The last patch caused a lot of issues for people. I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't download it and don't have many issues.

However, just as a general rule of thumb, PlayTV can struggle a little with playback and recording when there are less than 50GB free on your hard-drive.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    The last patch caused a lot of issues for people. I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't download it and don't have many issues.

However, just as a general rule of thumb, PlayTV can struggle a little with playback and recording when there are less than 50GB free on your hard-drive.

I'm using a 500GB drive with about 350GB free ATM.

What ever happened to this rumoured PlayTV 2? did it turn out to be false or did Sony scrap it?
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they went off the idea. PlayTV seems to have been a flash-in-the-pan like 3D is now.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped using it because I had to have a USB cable hanging out the front of my console 24/7 ! Stupid I know, but it shouldn't have being that way.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I'm using a 500GB drive with about 350GB free ATM.

What ever happened to this rumoured PlayTV 2? did it turn out to be false or did Sony scrap it?

Sony are in the PVR/recorder business. PlayTV was a ridiculously cheap PVR, even at full-price, which took away from their main business. I doubt we'll see another, which is a shame as it's an absolutely fantastic bit of kit.
  • Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Never had and issues with PlayTV. only stopped using it due to lack of HD support.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Sony are in the PVR/recorder business. PlayTV was a ridiculously cheap PVR, even at full-price, which took away from their main business. I doubt we'll see another, which is a shame as it's an absolutely fantastic bit of kit.

If that was the case they wouldn't have brought out a new one in Japan.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Add your play tv woes to this thread - http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical-Help/Play-TV-Auto-Off-crashing-PS3/td-p/16858898/page/14

14 pages and counting! I need to call Sony to get a refund for the £6 for the ROTTEN 2.0.3 update - I'm now using V1, as most users are doing as in its current state, will probably kill the ps3.

Note, I actually went out and bought a new slim after my phat kept freezing every 30 mins of gameplay - it was PLAY TV causing this! I bought it after reading the above thread, oh well - it's whisper silent and looks pretty cool! (This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007LYX35W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B007LYX35W&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21)

Yep so with play tv, it's back to v1 I'm afraid - leave auto update on as it doesn't update - certainly would be cautious if sony release the ps4 with yet another half baked 'on a whim' tv tuner thing