Trump - is he getting a fair crack of the media whip?

1234568»

Comments

• jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I noticed was the appalling quality of the camera on him. It seemed to be from somewhere a very considerable distance away resulting in a soft image with no depth of focus, possibly in an attempt to stop us reading placards held up behind him, and chromatic aberration on a scale I haven't seen in years. He was however allowed to say what he wanted, unedited, to the world. The fact that we didn't see the crowd, something he complained about, was contentious.
    So we've moved on from 'he's not being given a fair crack of the whip' when it becomes patently obvious that he is, to 'What's being broadcast isn't exactly what he'd want to be broadcast'. What's next? 'People who don't agree with him get broadcast'?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    So we've moved on from 'he's not being given a fair crack of the whip' when it becomes patently obvious that he is, to 'What's being broadcast isn't exactly what he'd want to be broadcast'. What's next? 'People who don't agree with him get broadcast'?

The comment was about the odd and frankly unprofessional coverage of a kind I haven't seen previously on presidential coverage. I don't personally like the man, neither do I like Hilary Clinton, how a country that size could only come up with those two deadbeats is beyond me.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    Meanwhile he's droning on about various people who have upset him - even his own supporters seem to be talking among themselves.

He also spoke about a terrorist attack in Sweden "last night" (Friday)... but there was no such attack. Must be a case of 'fake news"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He also spoke about a terrorist attack in Sweden "last night" (Friday)... but there was no such attack. Must be a case of 'fake news"!
    To be absolutely fair, he didn't specifically say there'd been a terrorist attack in Sweden last night. He cited Sweden as a country that has had a lot of problems since allowing an influx of refugees from the middle east in the last few years.

Even looking at what he did say (rather than the headline) this is still an extremely debateable point. In the last few years, Sweden has seen a slight increase in violent crime but it is not outside reasonable statistical variation. We're talking going from 'pretty much none' to 'hardly any'. And it definitely has not had an organised attack that could be described as 'Islamic terrorism', ever.

The actual story is that Sweden has taken in 200,000 immigrants since 2015 (on a national population slightly larger than London's) and has not seen any significant rise in violence of any sort. The major issue they have is that Sweden has had more people than any other European country who have gone to Iraq and Syria to fight and then come back, but even that group of people doesn't seem to have caused any trouble.

Frankly, what he said was already rubbish, so there's no real need to exaggerate it.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one has any idea what he was on about.

http://www.thelocal.se/20170219/swedes-baffled-by-trumps-last-night-in-sweden-comment

Google brings up lots of puzzled news providers including the BBC and Sky.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one has any idea what he was on about.

http://www.thelocal.se/20170219/swedes-baffled-by-trumps-last-night-in-sweden-comment

Google brings up lots of puzzled news providers including the BBC and Sky.

It is clear that the person complaining about fake news is the source of more fake news than anyone else.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It is clear that the person complaining about fake news is the source of more fake news than anyone else.

THIS!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Proves it, not even the Swedish Prime Minister was told about the attack and I bet even the Swedish police don't know anything about it. The Fake News people are so clever that The Donald is the only person in the world who has been told. :(:(:(
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Proves it, not even the Swedish Prime Minister was told about the attack and I bet even the Swedish police don't know anything about it. The Fake News people are so clever that The Donald is the only person in the world who has been told. :(:(:(

Bill Maher made a great point over the weekend on his Real Time show:
    Ignore the clown show and focus on what the clown show is being used to cover up!
    It has a very valid point too, because they're using all they can to cover up the involvement of the Russian ties that caused an advisor to have to resign, the FISA warrants investigation into the Russian ties...
    There is alot of smokes and mirrors from Trump, because they're trying desperately to cover up something, so by standing out there crying fake news every 7 seconds, it is some attempt to distract from the real goings on!
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For whatever reason Trump has decided to declare war on the media. He obviously has an agenda to silence everyone that is truthfully reporting the nasty things he wants to implement as president and the only way he can do that is to brainwash the public at home and abroad by discrediting the media.

It seems to be working on a great many people, sadly. On the plus side, even some Republicans are concerned about his behaviour. They may need to do something soon to save their party and their country, and the rest of us.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently he was referring to a report from Fox News. The media seems to have dropped this since it became aware of his source.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick and tired of hearing about Trump every day now.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lincsat wrote: »
    Apparently he was referring to a report from Fox News. The media seems to have dropped this since it became aware of his source.

Actually I have now seen a report on Sky News, although they did claim he said there was a "Terrorist incident" in Sweden, which he did not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of hearing about Trump every day now.

You could try not clicking on threads with Trump's name in the title?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bit scary that the president of the USA watches a TV program and takes that as fact, while constantly complaining about the media being full of fake news.

I guess Fox is the exception, they are the only ones that are totally honest?
  • Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I have now seen a report on Sky News, although they did claim he said there was a "Terrorist incident" in Sweden, which he did not.

“You look at what’s happening, we’ve got to keep our country safe. You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this?”

What was he talking about happening in Sweden last night? If it was nothing to do with terrorism, how did it fit into the surrounding part of his speech which was scaremongering about immigrants?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By that reasoning, I could refer to "the American attack on Whitehaven last night" because I was reading about last night.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two Swedish MPS have agreed with what Trump says

BUT shows how biased the US media is and its ok of course for Obama to ridicule Fox but a no no for Trump to do anything with the media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBKVCNEW1o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »

BUT shows how biased the US media is and its ok of course for Obama to ridicule Fox but a no no for Trump to do anything with the media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBKVCNEW1o

Where's the link for two Swedish MPs agreeing with Trump? Nothing happened in Sweden "last night", so it seems very unlikely any MPs have agreed with Trump. Even Trump admits he watched a Fox TV documentary "last night" and nothing actually happened in Sweden "last night".

You are more fake news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 01/03/17 - 18:36 #196

OK, you know how the story actually is 'Trump watched a Fox News report that turned out to be wrong but he thought it was right so he mentioned it'? And therefore posting a video of the bit of Fox News which is almost certainly the bit Trump saw and referenced despite it being wrong is therefore a really, really bad way to prove that Trump was actually right?

Because, you know, the Fox News story that was actually wrong isn't magically going to become right at some point, that's not actually going to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »

OK, you know how the story actually is 'Trump watched a Fox News report that turned out to be wrong but he thought it was right so he mentioned it'? And therefore posting a video of the bit of Fox News which is almost certainly the bit Trump saw and referenced despite it being wrong is therefore a really, really bad way to prove that Trump was actually right?

Because, you know, the Fox News story that was actually wrong isn't magically going to become right at some point, that's not actually going to happen.

I actually say through the clip. Painful, but contained no reference to anything happening in Sweden. It is basically Fox saying "nah nah nah" to CNN.