Options

Railwayana News about the Waverley Route

Comments

• Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Radio!

Three of my greatest loves (ok, in your case, Radio, 'likes') - railways + radio + Scotland!

Keep it up! :cool:

Thanks!
    We had a great day today putting up the bunting and stuff (Thanks go to Ailsa and Gordon)
    Big day today The Sunday Opening with
    Micheal Moore MP Secretary of State for Scotland
    And
    The World Famous Mrs "Madge" Elliot,
    Kicks of at 2pm join us for our Hog Roast and Raffle and Tombola.

BTW You can call me Geoff;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If good will could build a railway, then the Waverley Route would have been rebuilt on Sunday (the 18th July) with what can only described as “Whitrope weather”.
    The Waverley Route Heritage Association held their Annual Open Day; this time was a great deal different.
    They had a Museum and a Heritage Centre that needed opening, and who best to open it than our local MP,
    the Right Honourable Mr Michael Moore, Secretary of State for Scotland and Waverley Route Campaigner, Mrs “Madge” Elliot of Hawick.
    Officiating was WRHA Chairman Mr Ian Crookes who made his opening speech welcoming all the many folks who had attended.
    Then Mrs Elliot spoke about the “Train-mendous achievement” that had been made in getting Whitrope Station not only built from scratch but laying the first half mile of track to be re-laid on the track bed from so long ago, she asked if everyone could “push the carriages all the way to Carlisle” as she was going on holiday and was catching a train there. How ironic indeed!
    Mr Richard Crocket from the Campaign for Border Rail (CBR)also spoke and reminded the Secretary about full reintroduction and what it could do to the economy of not only the Borders but to the rest of Scotland.
    Mr Moore spoke clearly and well about what has been built by a group of volunteers in quite a short space of time. Posing for photographs and for Border TV, he cut the red ribbon to formally open the centre to a rousing applause by well over 200 people who were standing on the platform.
    With the obligatory teas, coffee, cakes, candy, tablet along with a hog roast, tombola and a Raffle going on,
    as well as Railway memorabilia on sale, it was quite the family day out.
    Situated 12 miles South of Hawick on the B6399 Newcastleton Road,
    The Whitrope Heritage Centre is open from 10 am till about 4pm most weekends where you will be warmly welcomed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a lot has been going on recently
    First bit of news
    and the Latest bit of news
  • Options
    Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, can we have a permanent Railwayana thread? :o:cool::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Other than this one?
  • Options
    Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than this one?

Yes, a general one! The Waverley route title suggests this one is rather specific :)

BTW do you read these:

http://rail-news.com/
    http://www.railwayherald.org/

Any other suggestions for interesting online news/magazines?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a general one! The Waverley route title suggests this one is rather specific :)

BTW do you read these:

http://rail-news.com/
    http://www.railwayherald.org/

Any other suggestions for interesting online news/magazines?

I don't as a rule but thanks for that
    I am however a member of two Railway Organisations This One and This One
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little bit more on the current works, this time with Photos:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Borders Railway planning application which will see benefits to local residents of Falahill and A7 road users alike, has been submitted by Transport Scotland.

Following detailed consultation with local residents, the new proposals - which will adjust the alignment of the new railway and the A7 at Falahill – will bring a safer and quieter environment for local residents during the railway’s construction as well as make the main route to the Scottish Borders safer.

The proposals will also enhance the visual environment in the area and provide greater value for money when solving the engineering challenges the local geography presents.

More
  • Options
    FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    A Borders Railway planning application which will see benefits to local residents of Falahill and A7 road users alike, has been submitted by Transport Scotland.

Following detailed consultation with local residents, the new proposals - which will adjust the alignment of the new railway and the A7 at Falahill – will bring a safer and quieter environment for local residents during the railway’s construction as well as make the main route to the Scottish Borders safer.

The proposals will also enhance the visual environment in the area and provide greater value for money when solving the engineering challenges the local geography presents.

More

Brilliant news about the Waverley Line, as another said it was pure wanton vandalism to close the line in the first place, pity it won't be going all the way to Carlisle but it may do in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Transport Scotland has said plans to reopen a rail link between the Borders and Edinburgh are "on track" ( :rolleyes: )
    despite a member of one bid group withdrawing. Story
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try This One;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just so that every one knows
    The Site At Whitrope is now closed for the winter.

Persons visiting the site do so entirely at their own risk.

We urge fellow Heritage Railway persons and members of the public not to visit
    as the snow and ice cover makes access to and from the site hazardous.

You will not be covered by our insurance should you fall or injure yourself
    Only WRHA security personel have been given access.
    Hope to see you in the Spring of 2011
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This coming year 2011 should see further preparation on the track bed
    including roads being stopped up re-routed in some instances,
    all getting ready for the rebuild starting in the winter of the year.
    Then winner of the tendering proccess will be announced around September time.
    This basically means that this time next year the re-build should be well underway.:D
    Now isn't that great news:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scaffolding Towers have appeared around a couple of the piers of Lothianbridge Viaduct
    Further work is being carried out at Heriot where a digger is working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    42 years today or 15,340 days ago
    the Government closed the Waverley Route to Passenger trains a sad day indeed.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scaffolding Towers have appeared around a couple of the piers of Lothianbridge Viaduct
    Further work is being carried out at Heriot where a digger is working.

Further to this

Lothianbridge Viaduct
    Now has four scaffolding towers around the piers closest to the main road.

At Heriot Station between the Platform end and the bush in the distance
    there is excavation works going on to control flood water flow ie; The Gala Water.
    The Gates in this photo no longer exsist.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further to this

Lothianbridge Viaduct
    Now has four scaffolding towers around the piers closest to the main road.

At Heriot Station between the Platform end and the bush in the distance
    there is excavation works going on to control flood water flow ie; The Gala Water.
    The Gates in this photo no longer exsist.

Lothianbridge Viaduct is pretty close to where I used to live, and pretty close to where my mum still lives :)

I think its great that the Waverley Line is being re-opened - in fact, I reckon a lot of Dr Beeching's legacy should be reversed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lothianbridge Viaduct is pretty close to where I used to live, and pretty close to where my mum still lives :)

I think its great that the Waverley Line is being re-opened - in fact, I reckon a lot of Dr Beeching's legacy should be reversed.

Hear Hear!!
    Look at this this is what we're up to!

I broadcast a daily from 10am on Midlothian's Community Radio Station and try to find stuff about the railway and all things Midlothian.
    tell your Mum to listen in I'll give her a shout
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hear Hear!!
    Look at this this is what we're up to!

I broadcast a daily from 10am on Midlothian's Community Radio Station and try to find stuff about the railway and all things Midlothian.
    tell your Mum to listen in I'll give her a shout

I'll probably be speaking to her later in the week - I might well drop you a PM as she would love that. What time of day are you on?

Once the line is fully operational, I am going to pay a visit and take a run out on it - the countryside it passes through is among the most beautiful in the country.

I must also get round to taking a wee shot on the West Highland line - I promised myself that years ago when I was driving back from Fort William and have never got round to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably be speaking to her later in the week - I might well drop you a PM as she would love that. What time of day are you on?

Once the line is fully operational, I am going to pay a visit and take a run out on it - the countryside it passes through is among the most beautiful in the country.

I must also get round to taking a wee shot on the West Highland line - I promised myself that years ago when I was driving back from Fort William and have never got round to it.

Here I am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Keep up the good work on the Waverley Line in the meantime, it must be helluva hard work at times! On the bright side, the legacy you leave will be there for generations to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Announcing A Waverley Route book
    unlike any other previously published!
    Click Here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Newcastleton village hall last year for the Waverley Route talk and picture show. It was really interesting.

I also know a few in the village who were there on the day the last train came through here and blocked the line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I went to Newcastleton village hall last year for the Waverley Route talk and picture show. It was really interesting.

I also know a few in the village who were there on the day the last train came through here and blocked the line.

Yeah! Good for them!!
    Here's hoing it will be re-built in my lifetime;)