Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week # 50. The Final Edition of 2010

Comments

• SKYtvFREAKSKYtvFREAK Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Rocks TV' EPG slot has been sold to Retail Theopy TV - looks like its related to Thane Direct from looking at the info on the EPG.

According to the EPG, RT TV starts at midnight on Saturday, 1st January. Rocks TV merges into Gem Collector on 656 and rebrands as Gems TV Extra from 1st/2nd January :)
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pkc wrote: »
    Who knows with sky.. I still can't understand why they would close a house hold name such as Bravo, but hopefully Bravo (usa) will take it over and bring it back.

So from what I can gather... All these are closing: Channel 1 & +1, Bravo 1 & +1, Bravo 2, Living it & +1, Living & +1 & HD, Living Loves, Challenge Jackpot. (12 channels Slots)

And being replace with Sky Atlantic & HD, Sky Living & +1 & HD, which is from my calculations 5 channels, which leaves 5 slots spare (which I would guess will be for Sky2HD and SKY3HD)
    The USA channel Bravo cannot take over the UK version as it's not for sale. It's being closed and the name still belongs to 'Living TV Group'.

The ONLY channels closing are: Channel One, Bravo, Bravo 2 and Challenge Jackpot.

The LIVING channels are getting a rebrand, not closing.

That's FOUR channels closing (you can't count the +1s as 'channels').

We already know of at least one new Channel (Sky Atlantic), and probably HD versions of Sky2 and Sky3. Also perhaps Sky1+1 and Sky2+1 to fill in some of the gaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    SKYtvFREAK wrote: »
    Toy Story and 2 were re-released in 3D in October 2009 and January 2010 to mark the release of Toy Story 3

Thanks didn't know that
    Forum Member
    The USA channel Bravo cannot take over the UK version as it's not for sale. It's being closed and the name still belongs to 'Living TV Group'.

The ONLY channels closing are: Channel One, Bravo, Bravo 2 and Challenge Jackpot.

We already know of at least one new Channel (Sky Atlantic), and probably HD versions of Sky2 and Sky3. Also perhaps Sky1+1 and Sky2+1 to fill in some of the gaps.

I said "Channel Slots" :)

In theory if a channel rebrands then they old version has closed down, unless they will have Sky Living & Living :) .. and why is Living IT staying, surely that no different to what they already have.

So Living TV group wouldn't sell the Bravo name, interesting.. is there a source for that information. :confused:
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said "Channel Slots" :)

In theory if a channel rebrands then they old version has closed down, unless they will have Sky Living & Living :)

So Living TV group wouldn't sell the Bravo name, interesting.. is there a source for that information. :confused:

ITV did the same with Men & Motors. Be assured with it closing Bravo is all but gone in the UK.

The broadcasting industry has been on an axe of all heritage brands in the UK in the last decade.

The only U turn has been Viacom when they ditched MTV One back to MTV. Sadly I expect the Challenge name to also be gone next too. VH1 is probably another that may fade out.
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and why ever not!
    They all have licences from ofcom and have a space on the EPG.
    So in what way are they not channels?:confused:
    Is it just because they are time shifted?:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and why ever not!

Slightly off topic but is there not some kind of claim to the next available number if you don't already have a plus one? I remember Scuzz+1 and Flaunt+1 launched briefly? No doubt that channel launching loophole has since gone. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In theory if a channel rebrands then they old version has closed down, unless they will have Sky Living & Living :) .. and why is Living IT staying, surely that no different to what they already have.
    Absolute rot! By your definition, LIVING is therefore only a few years old, and so is Sky1. A re-brand is exactly what it says on the tin - not a closure and a launch!
    I'm they'd sell the name for a princely sum, but more to the point: why would NBC want to buy it?

The US version of Bravo is completely different to the one in the UK: it's more like LIVING than anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The name is worthless without any programming. Most of the UK market is absorbed and the Bravo name is probably still Sky owned. It's gone accept it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and why ever not!
    It's rather misleading to refer to them as a separate channel. Obviously if one closes the other must do by default.

ITV1 have 15 different licences in England & Wales, but if they decided to close it down we wouldn't mourn the shutting of '15 TV channels' would we? :confused:

+1s may have an EPG slot, but so do Sky Intro and Sky Preview. I wouldn't class those as proper channels. :D
    Forum Member
    ITV did the same with Men & Motors. Be assured with it closing Bravo is all but gone in the UK.

The broadcasting industry has been on an axe of all heritage brands in the UK in the last decade.

The only U turn has been Viacom when they ditched MTV One back to MTV. Sadly I expect the Challenge name to also be gone next too. VH1 is probably another that may fade out.

Indeed. sadly all providers are guilty of spreading the output over a fleet of channels.

There is only so much programming, spreading it out is crazy.
    Forum Member
    and why ever not!

Most people don't see +1 as channels, or slots.. So would it be fair for SKY to say sorry you can't sell that slot to another provider. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Absolute rot! By your definition, LIVING is therefore only a few years old, and so is Sky1. A re-brand is exactly what it says on the tin - not a closure and a launch!

SKY One (sky one/onc/ etc) has been called that for as long as I can remember. It hasn't rebranded in the degree of what is happening with UK Living Group channels.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    SKY One (sky one/onc/ etc) has been called that for as long as I can remember. It hasn't rebranded in the degree of what is happening with UK Living Group channels.
    It has been Sky One since 1989 when it changed from Sky Channel.
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »

AAAAAAAH SKY ONE Channel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    Aside from the constant swapping between Sky One/Sky1 and back again, it was briefly known as 'Sky One Entertainment'.

Living on the other hand, rebrands itself every couple of years:
    • UK Living
    • Living
    • Living*
    • LIVINGtv
    • LivingTV
    • LIVING
    Simply because they're prefixing it with 'Sky' doesn't mean they've closed the channel and launched a new one! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Aside from the constant swapping between Sky One/Sky1 and back again, it was briefly known as 'Sky One Entertainment'.

Living on the other hand, rebrands itself every couple of years:
    • UK Living
    • Living
    • Living*
    • LIVINGtv
    • LivingTV
    • LIVING
    Simply because they're prefixing it with 'Sky' doesn't mean they've closed the channel and launched a new one! :rolleyes:

Why is there a asterisk there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantSky wrote: »
    Why is there a asterisk there?
    My mistake, it should've been *Living, as that's what it was known as for a while
  • obrienmichael05obrienmichael05 Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It states that the 1000th channel will be licensed in the new year. Any idea what that channel might be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It states that the 1000th channel will be licensed in the new year. Any idea what that channel might be?

With 800 or so channels on Sky and more HD coming won't be long before Sky can reach 1,000 anyway. :p
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    With 800 or so channels on Sky and more HD coming won't be long before Sky can reach 1,000 anyway. :p
    There are only around 620 tv channels on Sky - the article relates to tv channels.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a lot of Ofcom licences are European channels which are broadcast from the UK but not available here (foreign Discovery channels, Viasat channels etc)
  • SKYtvFREAKSKYtvFREAK Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SKYtvFREAK wrote: »
    'Rocks TV' EPG slot has been sold to Retail Theopy TV - looks like its related to Thane Direct from looking at the info on the EPG.

According to the EPG, RT TV starts at midnight on Saturday, 1st January. Rocks TV merges into Gem Collector on 656 and rebrands as Gems TV Extra from 1st/2nd January :)

That should read Retail Therapy TV - My spelling is terrible! :o
    Forum Member
    AAAAAAAH SKY ONE Channel

LOL I just found a BSB video tape in my draw.. the promo one... (wonders if it will sell on ebay haha)
This discussion has been closed.